Pitt opens -3.5 over Cuse…. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt opens -3.5 over Cuse….

I feel the same as you about the rivalry, especially when both team are solid. But I'm afraid Pitt and their fans may not agree. They have the backyard brawl with WVa right? I think they've played over 100 games with Penn St too. BC is probably it for us.
I can’t disagree. They do not feel we are rivals. And honestly…they likely never will. Even when WVU was our “rival” I’m not sure they felt that way.

It’s something we have been missing. IMO.

Don't get sucked into thinking the line movement during the week tells any story whatsoever. Bettors HAMMERED the NC State line late last week from -5.5 down to -1.5 Everyone thought it was telling a certain story. They were dead wrong. No one knows anything. Its all just fun to discuss. But lines, movement etc. Its all BS. (Read:NC state last week)
This

I can’t disagree. They do not feel we are rivals. And honestly…they likely never will. Even when WVU was our “rival” I’m not sure they felt that way.

It’s something we have been missing. IMO.

Any Pitt fan over 40 will say Penn State is their rival.

I doubt we ever have a real rivalry game. Part of the problem is a lack of FB culture in the Northeast. IMO we are the 3rd best culture in the Northeast but are a decent amount behind number 2, yet well above number 4.

The best fit IMO could have been Maryland. Both care about BBall and Lax. Both have similar student bodies. Both recruit the same areas. Both have similar sized fan bases. Both have similar capabilities of success. It is an easy road trip for both. Neither have a real rival.

The Big East hurt that series, prior we played them pretty much yearly from 1955. Then their departure to the B1G killed anything from developing in the ACC. Despite rarely playing the last 30 years we are still their 9th most played series and they are our 6th most FBS.

I don't think anyone else really has potential.

Any Pitt fan over 40 will say Penn State is their rival.

I doubt we ever have a real rivalry game. Part of the problem is a lack of FB culture in the Northeast. IMO we are the 3rd best culture in the Northeast but are a decent amount behind number 2, yet well above number 4.

The best fit IMO could have been Maryland. Both care about BBall and Lax. Both have similar student bodies. Both recruit the same areas. Both have similar sized fan bases. Both have similar capabilities of success. It is an easy road trip for both. Neither have a real rival.

The Big East hurt that series, prior we played them pretty much yearly from 1955. Then their departure to the B1G killed anything from developing in the ACC. Despite rarely playing the last 30 years we are still their 9th most played series and they are our 6th most FBS.

I don't think anyone else really has potential.
Who’s #2 behind Penn st?

Who’s #2 behind Penn st?

West Virginia. They are the other only program that can consistently get 50k at home games and will travel well to road games. I think we have the 3rd best football fanbase. Yes, Pitt and Rutgers will average more at their home games but I think we travel better than either of those schools. They have a larger pool of local fans, but we have more loyal fans.

Who’s #2 behind Penn st?
Before 1980's, Pitt's rivalry are
West Virginia, Ohio State and Penn State. Basically the three are equal. After joining Big East football, West Virginia is #1 and Syracuse is #2.

And hopefully knocking on #1's door...
Agreed but we will never beat out Pstate for tops in the east. It hurts to admit that, but it is what it is. I do think that Fran will have SU consistently in the top Tier of the ACC each year competitive in every game.

West Virginia. They are the other only program that can consistently get 50k at home games and will travel well to road games. I think we have the 3rd best football fanbase. Yes, Pitt and Rutgers will average more at their home games but I think we travel better than either of those schools. They have a larger pool of local fans, but we have more loyal fans.
Ahh. For some reason I never equate West Virginia with the northeast, but yes you are correct.

Ahh. For some reason I never equate West Virginia with the northeast, but yes you are correct.

Just on geography, I agree. Technically neither is Pitt. But for CFB purposes WV has traditionally played the Northeastern schools. And they were Lambert Trophy eligible based on location. But then again so where VA schools. I don't think we should really count them, although JMU has a ton of Lamberts. VA Tech didn't really play the Northeastern schools prior to joining the Big East. They have more history with the South. UVA even more so.

So I was including BC, UMass, UConn, Army, Buffalo, SU, Rutgers, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Marshall (even bigger stretch), West Virginia (is close to Pittsburgh), Maryland, Navy, and I suppose now Delaware.

Taking into account history, tradition, home attendance, road and bowl attendance I think SU is #3. But as you can see from that list, that is nothing to brag about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom