pitt was clearly crazy to get rid of wannstedt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

pitt was clearly crazy to get rid of wannstedt

I finally got to watch a Bills game. It's easy to blame something like that on the DC. But when your front 7 cannot get a fingertip on a no name RB over and over and over again (running juggernaut that the Pats have been in the Brady era notwithstanding, sigh..), I can't really blame Wanny. He had nothing to work with. Having a front 7 that doesn't get abused is supposed to be somewhat of a prerequisite for any NFL DC.

That one is on the players. They were abused. You can't just put an 8th guy in the box and assume that will work. Pats are a passing team.
They ran all over us because we were in the Nickel package the ENTIRE game. I watched the Giants last night, who Buffalo based their defense on, and guess what..the Giants blitzed, alot. Nobody in the NFL gets pressure with just their front 4 and not one blitz the entire game against a good team. Even the Ravens got lit up by NE until they started blitzing up the middle. Absolutely pathetic coaching by Wannstedt. I put the loss squarely on him and the turnovers.

Brady was quoted after the game of saying they dared us to run. They ran at Bryan Scott allllll game.

Speaking of morons, Carolina is 4th and a foot to win the game yesterday. First down and run the clock out. Cam Newton is 6-5 245.. qb sneak, get a foot win the game. Or punt the ball to Matt Ryan who has probably been the best qb in the league thus far this year and hope to stop. Dont care that they downed the ball on the 2... within one play Atlanta has the ball where Carolina punted from.. What.

Newton's fumble was a disaster as well.

Exactly. Was saying the same damn thing to a friend of mine as we watched that game ... It's un-freaking-believable that coaches continue to punt away in end game situations when victory is simply ONE YARD away. Someone needs to simply take "the book" and throw it out the damn window. There is more to coaching (any sport) then simply following the book ... "The book" is based on a ton of flawed assumptions and we see it each and every week.

Spiller single handedly gave that game away though fumble at the one really. The game become alot different up 21-7 or even 17-7 than 14-7 and them having momentum.
That was big, but the Bills went up 21-7 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd on the TD pass to Donald Jones. What happened after that is almost unexplainable.

It was Dave Wannstedt who didn't blitz once the entire game. It was Dave Wannstedt who played 6 db's and one linebacker the entire game (in case youre wondering how the Pats ran so well). It was Dave Wannstedt who didnt make a single adjustment after Buffalo went up 21-7 and NE went down the field with ease to make it 21-14, then again at 21-21, then again at 28-21 and so on.. Now turnovers killed Buffalo too. Spiller fumbled at the 1 yd line and FJax fumbled to seal the game in the 4th, down by a TD, but this game showed Buffalo's GLARING weaknesses. Fitzpatrick and Wannstedt. Fitz throwing an INT when TJ Graham had his man beat by a mile for a TD is unacceptable. 4TD's and 4 INT's sums up Fitz perfectly. He can put up big numbers but in the NFL you can't turn the ball over and he does at an alarming rate.

They ran all over us because we were in the Nickel package the ENTIRE game. I watched the Giants last night, who Buffalo based their defense on, and guess what..the Giants blitzed, alot. Nobody in the NFL gets pressure with just their front 4 and not one blitz the entire game against a good team. Even the Ravens got lit up by NE until they started blitzing up the middle. Absolutely pathetic coaching by Wannstedt. I put the loss squarely on him and the turnovers.

Brady was quoted after the game of saying they dared us to run. They ran at Bryan Scott allllll game.

Spot on, thats exactly what happened.

holding the patriots to only 580 yards really drives it home just what a mistake it is to ever let that guy go.
hey go easy on him.

the bills are the training ground for Giants Coordinators who will win SuperBowls.

Gilbride
Fewell

...Wanny

:eek:

Last thing i'll say about this is that New England went up an down the field on the Ravens...until the Ravens changed up their defensive scheme and also started blitzing. The ability to adjust gameplans is something I havent seen from Buffalo. Buffalo has talent but lacks coaching and a franchise QB, unfortunately those are 2 glaring holes.

If you want to beat the Pats, your front 4 has to make some kind of impact in the run game. Yeah, Wanny could have started blitzing, but end of the day, the Bills players just got beat. It happens.

If you want to beat the Pats, your front 4 has to make some kind of impact in the run game. Yeah, Wanny could have started blitzing, but end of the day, the Bills players just got beat. It happens.
They didn't get beat, that s##t was unexplainable. I've never seen a game go from 21-7, at home, crowd rocking, 10 mins left in the 3rd quarter to an epic meltdown and annhilation while the defense NEVER makes an adjustment. New England was murdering the Ravens defense too...until the Ravens made adjustments and started blitzing. Who won that game?

hey go easy on him.

the bills are the training ground for Giants Coordinators who will win SuperBowls.

Gilbride
Fewell

...Wanny

:eek:
they should've kept and promoted fewell

if gilbride has a great qb, he'll throw it 50 times a game. if he has a washed up old statue, he'll throw it 50 times a game.

Yeah, but when the Panthers punted they didn't lose at that moment! They extended the game, and that's what matters?!

:bang:

LOL, He has a tank at qb who should be able to get a foot 9 times out of 10 and is punting to the hottest qb in the NFL... What, beyond stupid. Situation screamed to go for it, jus screamed for it. I could see if he has Fitzpatrick at qb and was punting to Sanchez or something but serioulsy, What. It was just so up and 15 seconds later he was right where he would have been if the went for it on 4th and were stopped. And that included a punt that gave the bal to ATL on their 2!! He accomplished what he wanted and still lost! Meanwhile, he had one play that needed a foot to win the game, what an idiot

LOL, He has a tank at qb who should be able to get a foot 9 times out of 10 and is punting to the hottest qb in the NFL... What, beyond stupid. Situation screamed to go for it, jus screamed for it. I could see if he has Fitzpatrick at qb and was punting to Sanchez or something but serioulsy, What. It was just so ****** up and 15 seconds later he was right where he would have been if the went for it on 4th and were stopped. And that included a punt that gave the bal to ATL on their 2!! He accomplished what he wanted and still lost! Meanwhile, he had one play that needed a foot to win the game, what an idiot

And if SU were in the exact same circumstance Friday night I guarantee (1) Marrone would punt, and (2) there would be a bunch of people here defending it.

Oh Lord

they should've kept and promoted fewell

if gilbride has a great qb, he'll throw it 50 times a game. if he has a washed up old statue, he'll throw it 50 times a game.
1st & 10 on the igg 27, i wish gilbride had found a run play.

gotta blame barden for not doing a better job of using his body.

1st & 10 on the igg 27, i wish gilbride had found a run play.

gotta blame barden for not doing a better job of using his body.

Raining, bad footing, cannot blame the chance, Eli put the ball in a bad spot.

Still wish they ran an out with 15 seconds to go and sent someone deep. After that TO it was pretty obvious Tynes wasnt gonna make it.

9-4, 10-3 and 7-5 in his last three years at Pitt with bowl games each year.

Clearly the guy had increasing expectations. And for what he was being paid at Pitt, and his recruiting prowess, he should have. Unless you work in the same job, at the same level, doing the same thing for 50 years, it's pretty common in every career path. "What have you done" is important, but "What have you done lately" carries some weight and it rightly should.

His 10-3 and 7-5 teams underachieved and I don't even think that's debateable. That 10-3 team had BCS bowl game level talent on it at a minimum, and really should have been a top 5 team that year.

Raining, bad footing, cannot blame the chance, Eli put the ball in a bad spot.

Still wish they ran an out with 15 seconds to go and sent someone deep. After that TO it was pretty obvious Tynes wasnt gonna make it.
guess i agree on just about all that, but the Eli line.

barden shouldve stopped and made it a jump ball, he would have caught it.

need to see it again. which i wont, i cant...arrgghhhh.

Speaking of morons, Carolina is 4th and a foot to win the game yesterday. First down and run the clock out. Cam Newton is 6-5 245.. qb sneak, get a foot win the game. Or punt the ball to Matt Ryan who has probably been the best qb in the league thus far this year and hope to stop. Dont care that they downed the ball on the 2... within one play Atlanta has the ball where Carolina punted from.. What.

Newton's fumble was a disaster as well.
Great example of why you don't examine the outcome to determine if a call was good or not.

Downing it at the 2 didn't matter. It was a bad call no matter what happened.

Clearly the guy had increasing expectations. And for what he was being paid at Pitt, and his recruiting prowess, he should have. Unless you work in the same job, at the same level, doing the same thing for 50 years, it's pretty common in every career path. "What have you done" is important, but "What have you done lately" carries some weight and it rightly should.

His 10-3 and 7-5 teams underachieved and I don't even think that's debateable. That 10-3 team had BCS bowl game level talent on it at a minimum, and really should have been a top 5 team that year.

I see your point.

But I think too often the value of stability and the process of development are forgotten when it comes to major college athletics - especially for schools that may not have the same kind of resources as say an Alabama.

Discharging Wannstedt has set Pitt Football back a few years. He was basically a QB away from really having something and the new AD at the time - the same guy who nearly ruined Nebraska Football - axed him.

DW may not be a genius, but he had Pitt headed in the right direction - he should not have been fired in my opinion.

Discharging Wannstedt has set Pitt Football back a few years.

Don't disagree at all, although I think the selection of Todd Graham was a larger reason in that than letting Wannstedt go. Wannstedt was a great recruiter, maybe the best the New Big east has seen, but he couldn't translate that into being a consistent top 10 program. And therein lies the rub. The hard part with Wanny was that he was a winning HC, not like other great recruiters that didn't pan out like Locksley or Ed Orgeron.

The hard part in all of this is that it's not necessarily the firing of a coach, but what you follow that up with. In a lot of cases, I feel that the firing is the right decision, but the timing of it is off. It's kind of like when you want to switch jobs - most people wait until the right opportunity comes along and tolerate their current lot as best they can until they get it - but they make the decision months/years in advance. I feel like Pitt should have waited for the right guy to become available, and if that meant keeping Wanny on for a year or two more so be it. It's not like they were a losing program.

But keeping Wanstedt around really would have killed their fan support*.

*This is a joke.

LOL, He has a tank at qb who should be able to get a foot 9 times out of 10 and is punting to the hottest qb in the NFL... What, beyond stupid. Situation screamed to go for it, jus screamed for it. I could see if he has Fitzpatrick at qb and was punting to Sanchez or something but serioulsy, What. It was just so ****** up and 15 seconds later he was right where he would have been if the went for it on 4th and were stopped. And that included a punt that gave the bal to ATL on their 2!! He accomplished what he wanted and still lost! Meanwhile, he had one play that needed a foot to win the game, what an idiot
Rivera is a prototype meathead coach. Would rather play defense than offense. Probably had upwards of thirty concussions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. Was saying the same damn thing to a friend of mine as we watched that game ... It's un-freaking-believable that coaches continue to punt away in end game situations when victory is simply ONE YARD away. Someone needs to simply take "the book" and throw it out the damn window. There is more to coaching (any sport) then simply following the book ... "The book" is based on a ton of flawed assumptions and we see it each and every week.
These idiots don't read books

images
Dwight

But keeping Wanstedt around really would have killed their fan support*.

I did hear that their one fan was considering dropping his season tix if DW stuck around for another year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom