Pitts beats WSU 57-53, forces a game 3 in CBI Championship | Syracusefan.com

Pitts beats WSU 57-53, forces a game 3 in CBI Championship

orangepack

Scout Team
The decisive third game of the CBI presented by Zebra Pen will be played on Friday, March 30 at the Petersen Events Center in Pittsburgh. Tip-off is set for 7:00pm (ET) and the game will once again be televised live on HDNet.

My question is, will they raise a banner if they win?
My question​

i was looking at some box scores, because they won yesterday without gibbs. i thought maybe dixon was doing the noble thing and using this tournament as a chance to play underclassmen and hold out his senior. nope. gibbs played 35 minutes against butler and was 0-8 with zero points. now they are saying gibbs was injured all year. i guess i'll buy that. how else to you go from 1st round draft pick and preseason BE POY to CBI flame out in 4 months?

Most obscure Tourney Iv'e never heard of. :noidea: What's the NCAA take on this :rolling:

Most obscure Tourney Iv'e never heard of.
I was with you on this... until I heard about this: CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT)

Mercer beat Utah State last night in the championship game. As stupid as these tournaments sound, it's an opportunity for coaches to get more practices with younger players. It's only embarrassing when you're from one of the six major conferences and you're playing in one of these.

I was with you on this... until I heard about this: CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT)

Mercer beat Utah State last night in the championship game. As stupid as these tournaments sound, it's an opportunity for coaches to get more practices with younger players. It's only embarrassing when you're from one of the six major conferences and you're playing in one of these.
Yeah, I was surprised to see teams from the power conferences in these tournaments too. But I can think of a few teams from the Big East that probably won't get the chance to play in either the NCAA or NIT anytime soon. ;)

I think I'd rather watch Bjorn Calderon play one on one against a folding chair than watch a single CBI game.

Even low/midmajors need love too.

Attendance for these games generally between 1-2k...SUNY Albany hosted Manhattan in front of less than 500.

I don't see any problem with these tournaments.

It's just more college bball.

If you like it, watch it.

If you don't, well they're almost impossible to find anyways.

Well it's definitely fun to make fun of the CBI, it's a bigger accomplishment to play in that tournament than it is to play in a fringe college football bowl game that features 6-6 teams.

It'll be interesting to see how the Pitt players react if they end up winning it.

Well it's definitely fun to make fun of the CBI, it's a bigger accomplishment to play in that tournament than it is to play in a fringe college football bowl game that features 6-6 teams.
I disagree, since the bowl games are all nationally televised, while I'm pretty sure the CBI is broadcast via Skype or something.

I disagree, since the bowl games are all nationally televised, while I'm pretty sure the CBI is broadcast via Skype or something.

I meant it in the sense of what percentile of all Division 1 teams you had a better season than. If you play in the Beef O'Brady's Bowl, you're middle of the pack. If you play in the CBI, you still are in the upper third of D1 college hoops.

But you're right, the bowls certainly have more exposure.

I meant it in the sense of what percentile of all Division 1 teams you had a better season than. If you play in the Beef O'Brady's Bowl, you're middle of the pack. If you play in the CBI, you still are in the upper third of D1 college hoops.

Oh, indeed.

Problem is Divison One College BB has over 330 teams...waaaaay too many IMHO...a super division of the top 150 or so would be fine by me. We could use Rutgers as the Mendoza Line...if your historic basketball relevance + attendance beats Rutgers you're in the club.

Problem is Divison One College BB has over 330 teams...waaaaay too many IMHO...a super division of the top 150 or so would be fine by me. We could use Rutgers as the Mendoza Line...if your historic basketball relevance + attendance beats Rutgers you're in the club.

But that would only chop down the list to like 315 teams.

it will be interesting to see if pitts decade of bball glory has come to an end and a return to mediocrity or if they will bounce back with a vengeance...

First of all the Skype line, is the post of the week! Second of all, my head is spinning (forget the fact I walked in from a fun night out at the NYC bars a bit under the influence.., that certainly doesn't help the situation here), so what exactly is going on here? Are you saying there is a tourney that is not only more obscure than the NIT, but that in addition to to that, it has some sort of playoff round? If so, does this mean, #102 vs #107 in the best of 3? (or 5?)

These are the basketball equivalents to playing in the Pinstripe Bowl. Little prestige, but extra practice and development time for the younger players.

I'm a Mercer grad. You're right, these two lower tourneys are not something the BCS schools should be bragging about. But it's a huge deal and accomplishment for a school like Mercer to win this. So much better than having a loss in your conference tourney be the end of the year.

We were pretty happy about the NIT final four run in 2002 for the experience, playing time, and practice time it gave the younger guys. For the right team, 3 weeks of practice could make a big difference in the future.

"This was really good for our kids. We had our ups and downs this year, but the CBI was a great springboard for us, going into next season. We are all better for the experience." - Jamie Dixon

Guarantee the quote will be something like that, post game.