play calling issues | Syracusefan.com

play calling issues

upperdeck

Living Legend
We have seen half a dozen complaints about play calling on plays that dont work.. I have not seen one on a play that did work.. people should be complaining about those as well. We run 60-70 plays a game are we saying only 5-6 are bad calls? Are only the failures bad calls?

Rutgers ran almost 100 plays and 40+ went for zero or negative yards. we know they suck.. we might as well, but I think its more the talent that the play calls.

Two sides to play calling.. Call what you think the other team cant stop or call what you think the other team doesn't expect.. History has shown when the other teams know whats coming our oline cant produce.. That limits most of our plays to calls the other team doesn't expect, that lowers the chances of success.

We cant just throw lob passes all day and hope the RCVR can make a catch like the rutgers offense.

In case people havent noticed we dont have playmakers.. Teams dont worry about jamming the guys off the line. We run some pretty nice mis direction plays and we get 2-4 yds on plays most teams get 10-15.. We have had drives where we complete 3 passes and no first down. We get 7-8 on first down and cant run for 2 on two tries.. We are lacking the parts..

I think the Fr wideouts will be upgrades.. I think Smith is a better runner than Bailey, he is just not ready, Moore might be as well. We still need to find a wideout that makes people worry deep. we need one dynamic player on offense.. In some ways I think Gulley is an upgrade to bailey as well.

We are playing the game with singles hitters who sometimes hit a double.

This is all on the recruiting, we seem to be finding guys who can make some plays on defense so why the issue on the offense?

Three times yesterday during key plays we tried to get too tricky. Those were dumb calls even if executed. On top of that this team's strength is its passing game and the coaches call the game like our strength is the running game. They act like DC3 is still here and Bart is at C. We get off to awful starts every game because we try and pound the ball. The one game where we came out passing was the only game this year we had 14 points and over 150 yards (we had 226) in the first half. Although to be fair it was RI. The rest of the games we were better in the 2nd half where we had to open things up (only 2nd half under 175 yards was RI where we pounded it). In addition the players we have on this roster IMO are not fits for the O we try to run.

No matter what we NEED to fix the first half O.

1st half we average 129.6 yards and 7.4 points
2nd half we average 185.8 yards and 13.2 points

I agree on one thing.. if had Carter we win this game going away yesterday.

there is a glaring need for us to recruit one; even better two stud RB's into this current recruiting class; WR will be fine with what we have returning and committed so far.

Three times yesterday during key plays we tried to get too tricky. Those were dumb calls even if executed. On top of that this team's strength is its passing game and the coaches call the game like our strength is the running game. They act like DC3 is still here and Bart is at C. We get off to awful starts every game because we try and pound the ball. The one game where we came out passing was the only game this year we had 14 points and over 150 yards (we had 226) in the first half. Although to be fair it was RI. The rest of the games we were better in the 2nd half where we had to open things up (only 2nd half under 175 yards was RI where we pounded it). In addition the players we have on this roster IMO are not fits for the O we try to run.

No matter what we NEED to fix the first half O.

1st half we average 129.6 yards and 7.4 points
2nd half we average 185.8 yards and 13.2 points

People say they miss Carter because he was some kind of first down machine. The offense wasn't very good last year. But I really miss Carter being able to hold onto the football. Bailey is good for a fumble per game.

Agree with your main point though, I don't really get what the offensive identity is (broken record I know). But even after Toledo we had to hear Hackett about how we were going to be a physical running team under Marrone. Should we be this year? Does the personnel fit that? Especially at center and RB?

One thing that's also driving me crazy is how often we run a play from a bunched up formation. I so rarely see that in football anywhere and we do it all the time. Rarely seems like productive plays are coming from that, but maybe someone else sees things I don't.

I'm also starting to wonder if Van Chew is not as good as I think he is. I think he was only targetted 3 times yesterday. One catch, one drop, one overthrown deep ball. I felt like he'd be a guy often open and often targetted, but hasn't been happening.

Final point, is this offense going to be what we plan to run when we have more athletic guys at QB, which is what we've recruited?

We play home games in a Dome and can't generate offense. Mystifying.

People say they miss Carter because he was some kind of first down machine. The offense wasn't very good last year. But I really miss Carter being able to hold onto the football. Bailey is good for a fumble per game.

Agree with your main point though, I don't really get what the offensive identity is (broken record I know). But even after Toledo we had to hear Hackett about how we were going to be a physical running team under Marrone. Should we be this year? Does the personnel fit that? Especially at center and RB?

One thing that's also driving me crazy is how often we run a play from a bunched up formation. I so rarely see that in football anywhere and we do it all the time. Rarely seems like productive plays are coming from that, but maybe someone else sees things I don't.

I'm also starting to wonder if Van Chew is not as good as I think he is. I think he was only targetted 3 times yesterday. One catch, one drop, one overthrown deep ball. I felt like he'd be a guy often open and often targetted, but hasn't been happening.

Final point, is this offense going to be what we plan to run when we have more athletic guys at QB, which is what we've recruited?

We play home games in a Dome and can't generate offense. Mystifying.

I had hoped the plan was the GA Tech Joey Hamilton O (Marrone was on that staff). However I now fear that it is a run first WCO with a scrambling QB. Like if those old Broncos teams had Vick.

The bunch works great in the NFL. Not so much in CFB as the QB has to make a read as to which guy will be open. Most struggle with this. I remember when ever we ran it with Patterson it was a sack every time. It did work for a big play TD against Louisville ARob to Merkerson I believe (or maybe Taj Smith).

I wonder if Chew is hurt again. He was out just about every third down yesterday. It seems crazy to me to have him on the bench and Stevens split out wide on some of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom