Play in game on the table. Do you bite? | Syracusefan.com

Play in game on the table. Do you bite?

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Hypothetical of course but lets say that one of the play in games is on the table right now. Would you take it or pass with a chance to get a higher seed? With that asked I want to be realistic about how high we could climb. We're not getting a 4 seed and are not likely to get protected (Buffalo). So with that in mind do you take one of the Tues/Wed play in games in Dayton or roll the dice and hope we can climb to the 11, 10 or even 9 seeds range and skip the play in all together?

A few things to consider:

-It's not as if a play in team has not made the Final Four before (see George Mason)
-I think playing a game in Dayton would mean the crowd would be against us
-Being bounced out of the play in game almost feels like you didn't make the tournament (I'd think)

Right now I thinking I'd lean towards taking the play in game; at the very least it would mean I got to see the Syracuse game on selection Sunday. With this said my opinion might change after the Louisville game tonight.

Thoughts?

I think right now, I'd take it. Sure, we could qualify for a higher seed, but that's no sure thing given our remaining 5 games--all against tough opponents. That's why stubbing our toe against pitt on Saturday was such a missed opportunity to pick up conference win #9.

Bird in the hand--the goal is to make the field.

I would take it in a minute. Better play in then NIT. We aren't close to being out of the woods yet.

This team still needs work to do. Hopefully we aren't going to be needing a deep ACCT run to sniff a play in game. Getting a win tonight would be so huge and help eliminate needing a solid ACCT run.

Hypothetical of course but lets say that one of the play in games is on the table right now. Would you take it or pass with a chance to get a higher seed? With that asked I want to be realistic about how high we could climb. We're not getting a 4 seed and are not likely to get protected (Buffalo). So with that in mind do you take one of the Tues/Wed play in games in Dayton or roll the dice and hope we can climb to the 11, 10 or even 9 seeds range and skip the play in all together?

-It's not as if a play in team has not made the Final Four before (see George Mason)
-Being bounced out of the play in game almost feels like you didn't make the tournament (I'd think)

Right now I thinking I'd lean towards taking the play in game; at the very least it would mean I got to see the Syracuse game on selection Sunday. With this said my opinion might change after the Louisville game tonight.

Thoughts?
It's a good thing you're not a gambler. Play in is effectively part of the field. No brainer with this squad's current outlook at 50-50 in my book. If we lose tonight, which is more likely than not, Saturday's game becomes a must-win.

Thoughts?

Our chances of winning the whole thing are very close to 0%, so I am not worried about a path that makes it harder to win. I would take the guarantee to get in the tourney as this is a goal a program should meet at a minimum each year. And the play in game is part of the tourney.

I don't think George Mason was in the play game. I think it was VCU. but point still stands.

Question for your bracketology people: take these insanely hypothetical cases. What do you think our seed would be?

1. Beat UL at dome, split with GT, lose at UL, lose vs Duke
2. Beat UL and Duke at home, split with GT, lose at UL
3. Lose 2x to UL, beat Duke, sweep GT
4. Win out regular season, lose first round of ACCT
5. Win out everything (this would be our seed ceiling)

Take it in a second. A certain expression about a bird in the hand comes to mind.

Question for your bracketology people: take these insanely hypothetical cases. What do you think our seed would be?

My guess:

1) Play in game, if Cuse wins at least 1 in ACC T
2) 9 seed
3) 10 seed
4) 7 seed
5) 5 seed

What happens in the ACCT in scenarios 1-3?

If we lose our next 2 ( a definite possibility) we'll be begging for that play-in game.
And I think many are oblivious to that possibility or choose to not think about it. It's not farfetched. It's certainly more likely that we lose these next 2 than win both. I get depressed just thinking about it.

Our chances of winning the whole thing are very close to 0%

If we get in, this team has the potential to be the greatest bracket busting team of all time! They certainly could win it all. Streaky hot shooting by 4 different guys could seal the deal. We could even have breakout performance from Thompson or Roberson that could cause and unexpected win. We just have to get into the damn thing!

at this point, looking at the remaining schedule, we are much more likely to end up in the NIT than to improve our positioning for the NCAAT. So you have to take the play in game if such an offer was available.

and of course the most likely outcome: beat Tech at home, lose all the rest. Get an 8 or 9 seed in the ACCT; win one game then get crushed by UNC. Final record after ACCT: 18-15/9-9. Is that good enough for a Top 2 seed in the NIT? I would think so but my knowledge of the NIT seeding process is nonexistent.

And assuming 1-1 in ACCT:

1. Out. Can't get in with 2 road wins, 10-8 in conference and our out of conference results
2. 10 seed, 4 Top 10 wins and 11-7
3. 11 seed. 3 Top 10 wins and 11-7
4. 7 seed. 13-5 in conference, likely earning double bye. 5 Top 10 wins. ACCT loss would likely be against UVA so no harm there
5. 5 seed. Would mean 8 Top 10 wins. Winner of 13 out of 14.

Just my guess.

gimme the play in game. cant get greedy with this team, especially considering where we were a month ago.

These last five games are going to be very challenging. Winning at Georgia Tech will take a huge effort on our part. They're on the same level of teams like Va Tech, Pitt, Clemson, NC State who we have either lost to on the road, or needed a miracle to beat.

For that reason, sign me up for the play-in game in a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom