Players Returning Next Year | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

The NBA will tell JJ to improve his handle, improve your three point shooting, pass to your teammates and try to learn how to guard a chair. He has a long way to go. I’m not sure if he will beat out Moore next year. He also lacks some toughness. Other than this, he’s ready for the NBA.
And learn how to be ready to catch a pass

The NBA will tell JJ to improve his handle, improve your three point shooting, pass to your teammates and try to learn how to guard a chair. He has a long way to go. I’m not sure if he will beat out Moore next year. He also lacks some toughness. Other than this, he’s ready for the NBA.
Maybe Moore is just better.

I could see him getting a chance at a school like Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross or a Lafayette kind of school in the Patriot League. That's a league with Army, Navy and Colgate. That's a good first job, IMO. His PA Legend status helps him recruit to several of these schools. That's built-in goodwill. And even if he came up short as a recruiter, I think you have to give him credit as a good teacher of the jump shot.

Another league that might take a chance on Gerry is the schools in the MAAC. The MAAC schools are a good level where his name will also have stature. It's very much metro NYC, which would help him retain important recruiting ties, and maybe he would do better, placing those 2nd tier kids at his school than competing for Top 40 talent. Iona, St. Peters, Siena, Manhattan or Fairfield. Lots of quality schools, where many coaches have won before, and where many started their careers.

Other leagues are too far above him, to risk bigger budgets on a totally unproven head coach. Atlantic 10, MAC or Ivy leagues are above him until he has success at a school in the Patriot or the MAAC. That's how I see it for him.
I agree to a point - question is would a MAAC job be a pay cut? Fiscal reality may play a role here.

I agree to a point - question is would a MAAC job be a pay cut? Fiscal reality may play a role here.
Exactly. Gmac is not going anywhere for less than a Patriot league job.

The assistants are going nowhere.

The fans do not get it. Gmac got a promotion last year. None of the assistants are going anywhere after year one unless something surprising happens. This is year one. It's separate from the JB era.

Could Maliq even score in the league? Not sure he could ever get a shot off.
I love Maliq but he has shown no offensive game at all. He gets everything spoon fed on that end. He needs to develop some sort of offensive game because smarts only gets you so far at his size and not being an uber athlete.

Exactly. Gmac is not going anywhere for less than a Patriot league job.

The assistants are going nowhere.

The fans do not get it. Gmac got a promotion last year. None of the assistants are going anywhere after year one unless something surprising happens. This is year one. It's separate from the JB era.
if he gets offered his own head job someplace he is 100% outta here. Fans dont have to get it. The chance to take over your own program? Done deal every time. I dont care about his promotion last year. Why is gods name would he stay if he were offered his own gig? Loyalty? Please...

if he gets offered his own head job someplace he is 100% outta here. Fans dont have to get it. The chance to take over your own program? Done deal every time. I dont care about his promotion last year. Why is gods name would he stay if he were offered his own gig? Loyalty? Please...
Guys are leaving mid major jobs to take assistant jobs now at power 5 and above schools.

He had a double double playing as the only guy taller than 6'6". Of all players in last nights game that is your main takeaway?
He's just salty that Carey wasn't given a chance to shine.
Maybe Moore is just better.
I really hope so. That would be a nice change of pace from freshman guards who look lost when they step on campus.

so he is gonna sit behind Red for a decade? Dont kid yourself. If he is given the right opportunity he is outta here
I said that. Colgate would be one. I don’t see him leaving to coach a broken Siena program.

He had a double double playing as the only guy taller than 6'6". Of all players in last nights game that is your main takeaway?
Brown at forward is a liability on O unless he develops a shot and handle. It took 3 games but NCS figured him out.
Bang him down low as he can't guard the post.
Don't cover him when he is on O outside. There were multiple times Brown was at the 10 foot mark with the ball completely unguarded and he froze because he can't shoot or dribble. Teams have a book on him and unless he develops an offensive game he is at best a 6th or 7th man playing backup 5 or 4.

I think this teams needs a lot of changes, or improvements. The lack of 3 point shooting is very apparent. Besides Bell, no one else's shot is respected. No one can score from the post either. That combination is a recipe for disaster. I'm shocked we won 20 games this year

Judah- Love to have him back, but if he goes, so be it. Needs to improve his shooting and not rely on the refs to call fouls.

JJ- does he do anything well? I don't see him as a starter on a good team.

Bell- He is the most important player. When Bell made shots we won, when he didnt we got crushed. I think he has the highest ceiling

Taylor- Competes but shouldn't be playing major minutes for a NCAA tournament team ( or a P5 school for that)

Copeland- too many turnovers. Tries to make a play no matter what. He has all the tools to be a stud though. Don't think he should be the main PG on this team next year

Brown- Played out of position all year. I would take him on any team due to his defense, but he can't create his own shot. No post game and he never shoots a mid-range either. All his points were off dunks or layups.

Cuff- Nothing really stands out, I think this board overrates his defense.

This team needs to hit the portal HARD. Need a true PG, another wing that can shoot the 3 and defend, and obviously a center that can get a bucket from the block. Without that, this team wont make the big dance again for the 4th (yikes) straight year

Hopefully the Moore kid can provide shooting and Freeman is as good as advertised. Cuse needs them to contribute right away
Good evaluation of a group of decent players who all have fundamental flaws.
In addition to their individual issues, they just didn't seem to have any chemistry
as a team. The portal will always be a crap shoot, both from what's leaving and
what's coming in. It's an interesting discussion topic for the off season, but a nightmare
for coaches.

Brown at forward is a liability on O unless he develops a shot and handle. It took 3 games but NCS figured him out.
Bang him down low as he can't guard the post.
Don't cover him when he is on O outside. There were multiple times Brown was at the 10 foot mark with the ball completely unguarded and he froze because he can't shoot or dribble. Teams have a book on him and unless he develops an offensive game he is at best a 6th or 7th man playing backup 5 or 4.
There is an island of people who think that Brown is a role player at best, but Peter Carey is going to be good.

Population: 1.

You forgot to mention “find a compatible point guard that cares more about team than self success”.

Yeah, I have seen enough of JM and hope he moves on.

On one possession in the first half, he stood at the top of the key with the ball and pointed at players in the key and where they should stand on the perimeter so he could go iso hero ball with less traffic... you stand there, you stand there...

That can't be the offense the run in practice.

He's our starting PG and won't run the offense a lot of the time... couple that with the incessant whining and complaining and he's really not fit for purpose as a PG.

We may not replace his stat lines on offense, but hopefully we can find an actual PG that can run team offense and make the whole team collectively better.

The Maliq takes in here are scorching hot. First Take level.

10/10. Appreciate the heat.

Our guy with best PER and BPM, who our assistant coach said was our MVP on both ends…

Some wild times.

Btw, Judah just had back to back 21 FGA games. Y’all realize teams want him to shoot for a reason.

Q? JJ? JT? Peter Carey?

You think Maliq is the problem.

Can Maliq get better? Of course. but hoo boy these takes.

You forgot to mention “find a compatible point guard that cares more about team than self success”.

JJ’s got a lot to improve on but he’s clearly talented and improved throughout the season. We don’t win UNC without him. He’s a talent im surprised people arent looking forward to retaining.
He was exactly the same player he was at Notre Dame, what’s his clear talent? Improving throughout means you’re better at the end than you were the beginning, he had a good stretch but he was awful 2/3rds of the season and his defense looks worse if that’s even possible.

The success of Red and the immediate success of this program is heavily dependent on major roster changes. This roster as is, cannot successfully compete the way Red wants to play. When I listen to Red, I believe he has a vision on how he wants Syracuse Basketball to look. I think back to Baylor’s national championship team a few years ago and believe that is the goal. Fast paced, guard dominant, with shooters everywhere and in your face pressure D.

The problem is this roster lacks shooting, good defenders, and of course a legit big who can correct mistakes on D and rebound. Simply put, the roster doesn’t match the philosophy right now.

Overall the season was an improvement of the last few seasons, but it was still substandard. There are a lot of egos on this team that need to be dealt with or shown the door. I am hopeful that these tough conversations are had and we can open up 4 or 5 spots to get upgrades. No one on this roster should be comfortable this off season except Brown who was steady all year.

If they had a real center, it would open up this offense, and Maliq would be like having Rick Jackson as the "Robin" role on the boards and defense to the new center. He would be great at that job. He passes well. Put in an offense where he can take a foul line jumper instead of a 3 pointer from the top of the circle, and he will crush it. He's a terrific passer, has great hands and a great nose for the ball. As a sidekick, he's Scottie Pippin.
compound that with the fact that we ask maliq to play 39 minutes. he's getting tag teamed underneath by bigger dudes playing half the minutes. brown had no jb reafsynder , mooseman or mcneil to come in and capably spell him. he's whooped. and last night he got whomped.

Last edited:
No one isn’t believing it or understanding it. This isn’t organic chem. The issue is that the feedback will be a mile long bc of how far from the NBA he is.

Anyone who actually watches the NBA knows that JJ has no shot.
Two starting guards have had a worse PER than him since they started tracking it in the late 2000's. Frank Howard and Kaleb Joseph. Both were benched.

His defense is worse than the guy he replaced and we thought that guy was bad. I know he's a local and people love him here, but if he strings us along we should just move on.

No one isn’t believing it or understanding it. This isn’t organic chem. The issue is that the feedback will be a mile long bc of how far from the NBA he is.

Anyone who actually watches the NBA knows that JJ has no shot.
Does the NBA have to give assessments to everyone who asks? I get that the JJ call would take three seconds but can hundreds of players ask how'd they fare and the league has to respond?

I just can't imagine that call - "JJ who? Oh the S guy who can't dribble with his left hand, doesn't guard and may be the worst passer on the planet? Yeah tell him to declare.".

I mean someone affiliated with the league has to do that for any player who ask for an evaluation?

He is an assistant in a middling ACC program. He is not getting a head coach job in the MAAC, Patriot League or Ivy League. Those go to assistants in successful P5 schools. Gerry is going to have to go to D2 or D3 for his first head coaching job.

Gerry is in the club, that's not gonna happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom