Players shouldn't worry about Ft Drum... | Syracusefan.com

Players shouldn't worry about Ft Drum...

44PRIDE

All Conference
...they should be worried about the week after Ft Drum.

Seeing all the team-building exercises (truck-pulls, shooting guns...etc) along with all the speeches on "leadership" really leads me to believe the locker room was severely dysfunctional at the end of 2011. Coaches are trying to drive home the point that our players need to act as a team and that the veteran players need to step up as leaders.

But I can't help but think this week in Ft Drum is more of a distraction than actually being in Syracuse. You can hear it in Marrone's interviews where he talks about the inconsistent effort being given by the team this week. It just seems like their heads are elsewhere.

All I know is the team should be worried about next week. I believe the coaches are going to run them into the ground.

You run into leadership problems when you have young teams and high injury losses. Focusing the players on team concepts like the military does should help these kids. Add that to the on-the--job experience they gained last season and we should see improvement in quality of play.

As for Marrone's statements, he can only blame himself, he scheduled it. However, I think he is just keeping expectations low. Anytime there is a deviation from a normal routine, there will be issues with inconsistencies. In reality, the players will have the benefit of the training and Marrone will be able to tighten up everything next week. He has had every team ready for the season since he came to Syracuse, there is no reason to believe this team will not be ready.

Besides losing 5 in a row, does anyone have insight as to what happened within locker room at the end of last year? Been meaning to ask this for a while. Sounds like there might have been some dissension within the ranks. Both offense and defense kinda stunk last year, so I can't imagine battle lines being drawn between offense and defense. Just curious.

Besides losing 5 in a row, does anyone have insight as to what happened within locker room at the end of last year? Been meaning to ask this for a while. Sounds like there might have been some dissension within the ranks. Both offense and defense kinda stunk last year, so I can't imagine battle lines being drawn between offense and defense. Just curious.

There were problems in the lockerroom, and Marrone blames himself for not communicating better. Good interview that OE linked with a Nashville sports station.

Thank you. I listened to the interview which is what reminded me to ask the question.

Thank you. I listened to the interview which is what reminded me to ask the question.

I recall hearing that there were divisions in the locker room as in players dividing into groups and thinking their guy should play vs another. Wasn't specific offense vs defense but more guys within specifics units and some guys were moping and complaining about stuff and some just checked out. 5 game losing streaks can do that to most any team though.

Seeing all the team-building exercises (truck-pulls, shooting guns...etc) along with all the speeches on "leadership" really leads me to believe the locker room was severely dysfunctional at the end of 2011. Coaches are trying to drive home the point that our players need to act as a team and that the veteran players need to step up as leaders.

But I can't help but think this week in Ft Drum is more of a distraction than actually being in Syracuse. You can hear it in Marrone's interviews where he talks about the inconsistent effort being given by the team this week. It just seems like their heads are elsewhere.

All I know is the team should be worried about next week. I believe the coaches are going to run them into the ground.

That's an interesting point your raise--you are probably right.

Preseason stuff is never 100% consistant so tough to tell if being away is causing that anymore than normal.

The one nice thing, looking at practice pictures, is you see alot of guys with smiles on their face. They seem to be enjoying themselves if nothing else and shouldn't be worn down by monotony by the end of preseason.

I assumed this was the rationale all along.
If the players are distracted by Ft. Drum, wait until they play in hostile road environments. This is a young team, and I view it as a good experience to take them out of their comfort zone and force them to focus.
If nothing else, taking the team on the road for a week in the middle of camp will help break up the daily grind, which will help the most during the last week of camp.

when there are losing streaks everybody points fingers and divisions occur.

As is the American way though, nobody ever points a finger at himself.

There were problems in the lockerroom, and Marrone blames himself for not communicating better. Good interview that OE linked with a Nashville sports station.

Can someone repost that link?

I think I remember one of our college posters, B-knight or bnoro, saying there was a group of players that really liked to party, and another group that was more focused. This became a problem in the locker room. Or I could be wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.

I think I remember one of our college posters, B-knight or bnoro, saying there was a group of players that really liked to party, and another group that was more focused. This became a problem in the locker room. Or I could be wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.
Not me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't BK either. From what I was told the issues weren't as bad as some of us on these boards make it out to be. Honestly, what happens in the lockerroom should stay there. (cough redsox cough)

I don't know if it was me originally, but there was something to this. I think the losing streak had more to do with it though.

Learn from the past and be proactive and recognize a problem before it festers. That is a leader issue coach and players and the staff should be getting a lot out of this trip to Drum as well.

Not me and I'm pretty sure it wasn't BK either. From what I was told the issues weren't as bad as some of us on these boards make it out to be. Honestly, what happens in the lockerroom should stay there. (cough redsox cough)

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth bnoro.

After paintball, they're gonna have lots of welts. I would guess the scrimmage should've been done first. Just sayin"...

I recall hearing that there were divisions in the locker room as in players dividing into groups and thinking their guy should play vs another. Wasn't specific offense vs defense but more guys within specifics units and some guys were moping and complaining about stuff and some just checked out. 5 game losing streaks can do that to most any team though.

I wonder if Mackey was one of those guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom