Playing Style | Syracusefan.com

Playing Style

SyracuseTD

Walk On
Every team knows how to play us now. We need to switch things up. I don't care if the way we have played offense and defense during JB's run has worked for the last thirty years, we need to figure out what works best at this moment now, and for this team, now. I don't care if we are known for a 2-3 zone JB, switch it up! Every team knows how to beat it. They pass it around the wing until they catch a player off guard, then they give it to the guy at the FT line and boom, he knocks down the 10-12 footer every time.

I want to see us drive the lane to draw fouls. Not to score every time. Each time a player drives the lane and accepts nothing less than a bucket, we turn the ball over. Every other team in the NCAA drives and draws fouls. The way we run the offense now (passing the ball around the wing until a player decides in his head "okay I'm just gonna shoot it", clearly is not working.

In short, lets change the way we play. The classic SU characteristics of playing style doesn't work for this team. This is a different team. We need to figure out what works now for this team specifically. I still have hope for this team. Cuse has always been the team that figures out how to play in those moments when we need them best. In the tournament, SU always seems to step up in big games. I'm not ready to count them out yet.

Every team knows how to play us now. We need to switch things up. I don't care if the way we have played offense and defense during JB's run has worked for the last thirty years, we need to figure out what works best at this moment now, and for this team, now. I don't care if we are known for a 2-3 zone JB, switch it up! Every team knows how to beat it. They pass it around the wing until they catch a player off guard, then they give it to the guy at the FT line and boom, he knocks down the 10-12 footer every time.

I want to see us drive the lane to draw fouls. Not to score every time. Each time a player drives the lane and accepts nothing less than a bucket, we turn the ball over. Every other team in the NCAA drives and draws fouls. The way we run the offense now (passing the ball around the wing until a player decides in his head "okay I'm just gonna shoot it", clearly is not working.

In short, lets change the way we play. The classic SU characteristics of playing style doesn't work for this team. This is a different team. We need to figure out what works now for this team specifically. I still have hope for this team. Cuse has always been the team that figures out how to play in those moments when we need them best. In the tournament, SU always seems to step up in big games. I'm not ready to count them out yet.
Strictly speaking offense, we don't run, have no consistent outside shooting and have nobody to go one on one and break down the def player like teams in the past.

We have never played a set offense, ok maybe the Louie and Bouie teams, early 80's maybe.

I'm not counting this team out but...pass me a beer.

As for defense...that is not ever going to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom