Please Don't Ask for more...not this minute...but... | Syracusefan.com

Please Don't Ask for more...not this minute...but...

arbitragegls

All Conference
...ACC network is moving to conclusion of discussions...(this is going to be fun and profitable) this is from public comments...though much farther along than stated:

Tweets
2m
ACC Sports@ACCSports
Rough count, added about 1,300 Louisville followers since last night. Wow.

Expand
7m
ACC Sports@ACCSports
RT @DavidTeelatDP: ACC commish John Swofford told me last month league is exploring possible channel with ESPN.

Expand
14m
TomahawkNation.com@TomahawkNation
I think the ACC can get this cable channel done. It has the markets, and it's apparently not about how many people actually watch. See Big10
Retweeted by ACC Sports
Expand

...ACC network is moving to conclusion of discussions...(this is going to be fun and profitable) this is from public comments...though much farther along than stated:

Tweets
2m
ACC Sports@ACCSports
Rough count, added about 1,300 Louisville followers since last night. Wow.

Expand
7m
ACC Sports@ACCSports
RT @DavidTeelatDP: ACC commish John Swofford told me last month league is exploring possible channel with ESPN.

Expand
14m
TomahawkNation.com@TomahawkNation
I think the ACC can get this cable channel done. It has the markets, and it's apparently not about how many people actually watch. See Big10
Retweeted by ACC Sports
Expand

Thanks for another interesting update.

Please provide more.

The challenge is whether/where an ACC channel might be carried and at what tier/payouts.

And how well would such a channel do in PA , NY against the Big 10 as well as other markets along the Atlantic coast?

Hopefully, ND is a possible underrated wildcard in all this.

If the ACC gets its own media channel, GOR signed, and media rights taken care of, then I will feel so much better about the conference's long term prospects. Otherwise the ACC is still extremely vulnerable and open to being continuously picked apart.

It wouldn't surprise me if UConn isnt being seriously considered for B1G expansion especially if UVA is not available - again for media purposes UConn is highly desirable - that would give the B1G 4 teams in the East. The next most logical expansion beyond UConn is Kansas - given them a 4 team quad in the West - Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Minny leaving the 8 teams in the middle to break into their own quads.

little-shop-of-horrors-audrey-ii-buds.jpg

FEED ME SEYMOUR! FEED ME!

If future rights to this cable channel include ND when their contract is done with NBC, it would probably only be partial rights with ND able to hold onto some of their rights for independence, but this generate a pretty sizeable upgrade in $$$ for the ACC.

In my thread from a few days ago that was buried, I thought ESPN would need to do something significant to help the ACC. This seems to be happening. I also said that I didn't think it would happen but if there was a tv connection with ND that would help stabilize the leage because of the $$$ it would generate.

Think about marketing an ACC network like the B10. Except the ACC network might include viewing rights to certain ND games. Even if its only a few games a year that would give the ACC network serious leverage and nationwide coverage. If this is what is potentially going to happen this is huge for the ACC. It wouldn't matter if ND joined as a full member or not, they have still joined as more of a member than what they were in the BE.

hopefully it's just dropped into the sports pack.

This ^^. Or pay for it through DirecTV as well. Hopefully internet access as well.

Otherwise I will be out of luck as I will not go back to the cable companies. I have loved DirecTV for the last 10 years now.

The biggest news to come from all this is this ACC network. If we can get the ACC network going then the ACC is going no place. We will make tons of money and probably will not be in danger of losing any more teams regardless of what ND does. This is a must IMO and should have been working on for a while now. ACC has the population. ACC has the East Coast an ACC network makes the most sense. If we had the ACC network before the bowl negotiations I feel the ACC would have a bigger slice of the bowl pie.

If future rights to this cable channel include ND when their contract is done with NBC, it would probably only be partial rights with ND able to hold onto some of their rights for independence, but this generate a pretty sizeable upgrade in $$$ for the ACC.

In my thread from a few days ago that was buried, I thought ESPN would need to do something significant to help the ACC. This seems to be happening. I also said that I didn't think it would happen but if there was a tv connection with ND that would help stabilize the leage because of the $$$ it would generate.

Think about marketing an ACC network like the B10. Except the ACC network might include viewing rights to certain ND games. Even if its only a few games a year that would give the ACC network serious leverage and nationwide coverage. If this is what is potentially going to happen this is huge for the ACC. It wouldn't matter if ND joined as a full member or not, they have still joined as more of a member than what they were in the BE.

Doesn't the 5 game deal with ND essentially equal the rights of 2.5 ND home games from an ACC/TV deal perspective? Provided ND does not go all in. If ND did go all in, why couldnt the new ACC network make B1G money? ND is a national brand, will NBC pay them 20M on their own? I dont think so. Why not join the ACC and make <dr evil voice) millions? <end dr evil voice>

Doesn't the 5 game deal with ND essentially equal the rights of 2.5 ND home games from an ACC/TV deal perspective? Provided ND does not go all in. If ND did go all in, why couldnt the new ACC network make B1G money? ND is a national brand, will NBC pay them 20M on their own? I dont think so. Why not join the ACC and make <dr evil voice) millions? <end dr evil voice>

DR-EVIL--7206.jpg

Arb -- Correct me if I'm wrong, but these conference networks, be it ACC/ND, B1G or PAC, get their content from tier 3 media rights, correct? This means an ACC network would not be carrying ND home football games, which NBC holds the rights to, or away games, which are generally tier 1 or 2 content for the the conference that the host team is in.

So this network would get much of its content from tier 3 media rights for ACC football, mens and womens hoops, as well as from lacrosse, baseball, and the Olympic sports. There might also be coaches shows and travelogues of ACC campuses and sports talk shows ala the B1G. Rebroadcasts of ACC football games would also likely be included, and not just limited to tier 3 games (like FSU-Savannah State or Pitt-Liberty).

An ACC network would still leave many revenue sources untouched, including radio rights, shoe/uniform deals, product licensing, etc.

When Arb first joined this board I thought the guy was nuts but you're absolutely killing it, man. Good work and keep it coming, glad to have you here.

Back in the initial ACC realignment the lawsuit filed was by five Big East schools (UConn, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia and, wait for it... Virginia Tech) against Miami, BC and the ACC. Ironic that despite that only UConn is left in the Big East. All the other programs despite their actions against the others who left - left themselves. When it come to $$$ I don't believe what anyone says or does - there are no sure things unless a university feels they are wringing out the maximum $ out of a conference affiliation that they can possibly make.

If any of that is true, then Swofford isn't very forward thinking and pissed away an opportunity last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Arb -- Correct me if I'm wrong, but these conference networks, be it ACC/ND, B1G or PAC, get their content from tier 3 media rights, correct? This means an ACC network would not be carrying ND home football games, which NBC holds the rights to, or away games, which are generally tier 1 or 2 content for the the conference that the host team is in.

So this network would get much of its content from tier 3 media rights for ACC football, mens and womens hoops, as well as from lacrosse, baseball, and the Olympic sports. There might also be coaches shows and travelogues of ACC campuses and sports talk shows ala the B1G. Rebroadcasts of ACC football games would also likely be included, and not just limited to tier 3 games (like FSU-Savannah State or Pitt-Liberty).

An ACC network would still leave many revenue sources untouched, including radio rights, shoe/uniform deals, product licensing, etc.

Great post and analysis and question. I understand the following is under discussion:
1. ACC in discussions with more than ESPN on the above
2. ESPN has ACC contract 100% but is open to renegotiate not only dollars but rights
3. ACC/ESPN talking to other networks...based on Notre Dame potential joining full-time and or working out an associative TV contract... as prevously posted in another thread (from David TEEL interview)
On potential complications of merging Notre Dame football’s NBC contract with the ACC’s ESPN deal if the Fighting Irish ever committed to full conference membership: “Notre Dame’s a lot (like) where we are in terms of television dollars generated. There’s not this big gap between their NBC contract and what our schools receive. At one time, that was a big gap. It isn’t in today’s world. … I don’t think it would be terribly hard to mesh the two.
On the possibility of an ACC channel: “It may well make sense at some point. That’s part of what I mean about how well-positioned this conference is for the future: when you look at the number of eyeballs that our now in our footprint once we’re able to evolve as 15-member conference. We’re ramping up our discussions (with ESPN) on that. …
“In essence we have our own network through our (Raycom syndication) partnership. … Sometimes the optics of saying you have a channel are better than the reality of what it really means. … You do it for the right reasons, to bring more and better exposure for your programs in a way that makes sense financially.
“Sometimes people neglect to look at the cost of doing something. The ACC/Raycom digital deal. It required absolutely no investment on the part of the ACC, and yet we’re 50-50 partner in the revenues as they begin to generate. That’s a pretty good business deal.”
Importantly, if the network was to be formed in the next two to three years it is evident that more than one Media Giant will be involved. Interestingly, it is possible for the ACC network to have some coverage on a variety of different networks presuming dollars are there to make it profitable for all parties. Stay tuned as this is under discussion...it could lead to the overriding decision of Notre Dame full time to ACC...source indicates that the outcome is to bring the ACC dollars equivalent-albeit a bit less--than the B1G and Pac 12. The details as mentioned in your post are part of the discussion on how and what to execute.

If any of that is true, then Swofford isn't very forward thinking and pissed away an opportunity last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If any of it is true thank GOD we are in the ACC

When Arb first joined this board I thought the guy was nuts but you're absolutely killing it, man. Good work and keep it coming, glad to have you here.
He just likes his jacks and cokes a lot.

Right if the TV money is there for ND and the access to the "playoff" is there for ND. I do not see a reason why they wouldn't join...

The ACC will probably get two quotes from the networks. 1 with ND as a partial member and 1 with ND as a full member. And that will be presented to the members of the ACC and to ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom