Please don't complain about the refs tonight | Syracusefan.com

Please don't complain about the refs tonight

2-3zone

2nd String
We all understand going into Cameron Indoor that Duke will get all the 50-50 calls but I hate coming on to this board after a game and seeing 100 different threads about the refs.

If we win it will be because we played well and if we lose it will be because we played bad simple as that

We all understand going into Cameron Indoor that Duke will get all the 50-50 calls but I hate coming on to this board after a game and seeing 100 different threads about the refs.

If we win it will be because we played well and if we lose it will be because we played bad simple as that
Amen!

2-3zone said:
We all understand going into Cameron Indoor that Duke will get all the 50-50 calls but I hate coming on to this board after a game and seeing 100 different threads about the refs. If we win it will be because we played well and if we lose it will be because we played bad simple as that

Don't watch Duke home games much?

I want to see how many of Parker's ward off forearms/elbows are called tonight.
Yeah, I commented at the time the other night, I couldn't believe they called him for an offensive elbow. The refs are paying attention to him. I would like to think I can objectively look at the refs job and be fair. Like the BC game, I thought they did a very good job. However if they totally suck and there's some blatant calls that are wrong, then there wrong and should be called out.

This deserves to be posted on the Duke board, and perhaps even moreso than here. I think I remember a Duke fan or three complaining after last game.

It's a good thought but I don't think there's any chance of it happening.

My kinda guy!!

I complain about refs on all days that end in Y. Tonights opponent isn't the sole reason although I am expecting some magical calls that do not go in our favor.

I want to see how many of Parker's ward off forearms/elbows are called tonight.

I'm guessing zero.

I will b*tch about the refs if they suck. I didn't after the BC game, because they had nothing to do with the loss. I do after games we win all the time. Sometimes they just suck. They sucked in the Wisconson/Iowa game, and I had no dog in that fight.

So, there's no way that officiating can have any impact on the outcome of the game?

If they do a bad job, I don't see why that should be ignored.
Define bad job for me.

Define bad job for me.

In general, inconsistency, indecisiveness and the desire to be "a part of the game" (see: Burr, Higgins, Stephens) are the hallmarks of a bad reffing job.

I have been expecting us to get the Cameron away team treatment ever since we joined the ACC.

Yeah, when SU announced it was joining the ACC, I predicted it would be two years before we could "get a call," based on having to serve the requisite apprenticeship. I'm pleased to see I was wrong, for the games I've seen have been decently officiated. Burr, Higgins and Clougherty, be gone!

2-3, You think we are going to get routed, so the officials shouldn't have an impact on the game, right?

2-3, You think we are going to get routed, so the officials shouldn't have an impact on the game, right?

I said Duke 82 Syracuse 65 and I say that for 1 reason (offense) we are not going to shoot 57% again vs. Duke

Why can't we complain about refs? They're a big part of every game. When they're at their best you don't even notice them. When they're at their worst they affect the outcome of the game and should be called out for it. Syracuse board. Duke game at Cameron. You don't want complaints about officials. Good luck with that.

Complaining about the refs shows a certain athletic immaturity. My coach always said "You don't have any control over the refs. Focus on what you DO have control over." So when I played I had control over me; when I had the ball I had control over it; when I was on defense I tried to control my man. When I coached, I worked the same angles with my kids.

When I became a ref I learned very quickly that you influence the game as much with what you call as with what you don't. So saying stuff like "Let the players decide it," is just horse hockey. That just puts the game into the hands of the teams who exploit the rules the most. So, you man up and make the right call, or find something else to do. Funny thing, though, everyone talks like we're supposed to have some magical control over everything they don't like, LOL! So anyway, today I ref pretty much the same way, I focus on what I'll call and what I won't. If the coaches don't like it, that's just the way it is. I have no control over who wins, I just make the calls or non-calls when they happen. Complaining about us isn't going to help anything, let alone help you win. If anything it detracts from your focus, and that can influence who wins.

Last edited:
So, there's no way that officiating can have any impact on the outcome of the game?
If they do a bad job, I don't see why that should be ignored.
Officiating can have a huge impact on the game including the 90% that you don't see or don't pay attention to. If you complain about the 10%, you're winning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom