Please don't complain about the refs tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Please don't complain about the refs tonight

Cowtown said:
Complaining about the refs shows a certain athletic immaturity. My coach always said "You don't have any control over the refs. Focus on what you DO have control over." So when I played I had control over me; when I had the ball I had control over it; when I was on defense I tried to control my man. When I coached, I worked the same angles with my kids. When I became a ref I learned very quickly that you influence the game as much with what you call as with what you don't. So saying stuff like "Let the players decide it," is just horse hockey. That just puts the game into the hands of the teams who exploit the rules the most. So, you man up and make the right call, or find something else to do. Funny thing, though, everyone talks like we're supposed to have some magical control over everything they don't like, LOL! So anyway, today I ref pretty much the same way, I focus on what I'll call and what I won't. If the coaches don't like it, that's just the way it is. I have no control over who wins, I just make the calls or non-calls when they happen. Complaining about us isn't going to help anything, let alone help you win. If anything it detracts from your focus, and that can influence who wins.

Then every coach including JB and K are immature? They complain the whole game. But to your point, you're pretty much correct but there is a difference between a ref making a bad call and outright Duke favoritism where there is a mountain of video evidence of such.

Then every coach including JB and K are immature? They complain the whole game. But to your point, you're pretty much correct but there is a difference between a ref making a bad call and outright Duke favoritism where there is a mountain of video evidence of such.

I didn't say that. At that level, it's not "complaining." They're trying to influence the officials to make calls that will benefit them. Complaining is relentlessly harping, "These refs suck! They're incompetent! They're screwing us on purpose! They're blind!" Boeheim and K don't talk like that to refs.

Last edited:
that is the correct answer to the OP. If the refs suck - they should get called on it. They are the only ones after the game that don't have to answer for their performance. They CAN have a significant impact on the game if they do their job poorly. Hopefully, that won't be the case tonight. The best refs are the ones you have no idea who their name is before the game and you still have no idea who they are after the game.

We all understand going into Cameron Indoor that Duke will get all the 50-50 calls but I hate coming on to this board after a game and seeing 100 different threads about the refs.

If we win it will be because we played well and if we lose it will be because we played bad simple as that
You got it, chief. Anything other simple things I should be aware of?

We all understand going into Cameron Indoor that Duke will get all the 50-50 calls but I hate coming on to this board after a game and seeing 100 different threads about the refs.

If we win it will be because we played well and if we lose it will be because we played bad simple as that

Thanks for predicting in advance how things will play out, Nostradamus.

I guess in the last 10 seconds of regulation and OT, Kentucky doesn't have to dribble. Two blown or crooked calls.

Complaining about the refs shows a certain athletic immaturity. My coach always said "You don't have any control over the refs. Focus on what you DO have control over." So when I played I had control over me; when I had the ball I had control over it; when I was on defense I tried to control my man. When I coached, I worked the same angles with my kids.

When I became a ref I learned very quickly that you influence the game as much with what you call as with what you don't. So saying stuff like "Let the players decide it," is just horse hockey. That just puts the game into the hands of the teams who exploit the rules the most. So, you man up and make the right call, or find something else to do. Funny thing, though, everyone talks like we're supposed to have some magical control over everything they don't like, LOL! So anyway, today I ref pretty much the same way, I focus on what I'll call and what I won't. If the coaches don't like it, that's just the way it is. I have no control over who wins, I just make the calls or non-calls when they happen. Complaining about us isn't going to help anything, let alone help you win. If anything it detracts from your focus, and that can influence who wins.

True. Complaining about losing the game due to officiating is bad form.

However, critiquing officials after games for doing a poor job is an entirely different thing.

It surely is not as simple as that. Duke lost against us and they played very well. How does that figure into your equation? The refs are as big a part (unfortunately) of the game as the players are all too often. Complaining is the closest thing to accountability as there is since we rarely see them held accountable.

Tell you what. When I come onto the board you can't post. Its as simple as that. Being facetious of course but you get the idea I'm sure. Just don't read those threads. Or maybe we can get an official thread referring to the officials, good, bad or indifferent and have the admins ban any other threads about them.

Actually, the heck with the refs ---

GO SU - take no prisoners!!

It surely is not as simple as that. Duke lost against us and they played very well. How does that figure into your equation? The refs are as big a part (unfortunately) of the game as the players are all too often. Complaining is the closest thing to accountability as there is since we rarely see them held accountable.

Tell you what. When I come onto the board you can't post. Its as simple as that. Being facetious of course but you get the idea I'm sure. Just don't read those threads. Or maybe we can get an official thread referring to the officials, good, bad or indifferent and have the admins ban any other threads about them.

Actually, the heck with the refs ---

GO SU - take no prisoners!!
Exactly - no other poster is going to tell me what the heck I can post!

is it ok if I hate on the crew announcing the game? because they're polishing some Duke knob right now.

NKR1978 said:
Worst thread in the history of this board. That "block" on G was BS.

That call was crap.

Complaining about the refs shows a certain athletic immaturity. My coach always said "You don't have any control over the refs. Focus on what you DO have control over." So when I played I had control over me; when I had the ball I had control over it; when I was on defense I tried to control my man. When I coached, I worked the same angles with my kids.

When I became a ref I learned very quickly that you influence the game as much with what you call as with what you don't. So saying stuff like "Let the players decide it," is just horse hockey. That just puts the game into the hands of the teams who exploit the rules the most. So, you man up and make the right call, or find something else to do. Funny thing, though, everyone talks like we're supposed to have some magical control over everything they don't like, LOL! So anyway, today I ref pretty much the same way, I focus on what I'll call and what I won't. If the coaches don't like it, that's just the way it is. I have no control over who wins, I just make the calls or non-calls when they happen. Complaining about us isn't going to help anything, let alone help you win. If anything it detracts from your focus, and that can influence who wins.

I largely agree with this...having said that I still think refereing basketball is largely broken and unfixable because the rules lead to disqualification when players are called for too many penalties. Not true in football or hockey. So defenses have learned they can get away with A LOT. The result contributes to the sport at the college level becoming lower scoring and less exciting over the last two decades. I'm not sure how that gets fixed without massively rethinking the rules of basketball, otherwise we can expect more rock fights like tonight than entertaining games like Cuse/Duke round 1.

After the BS call on the blatant charge by Parker on one end and that BS call on CJ on the other sprinkled, no not sprinkled, but rather submerged by completely ludicrous calls and non-calls entirely in Dukes favor.

Guess we should have played good instead of bad. Is that what one is to believe? I have always contended you can't play good when you are getting screwed constantly. This just solidifies that fact.

I am always one to be level with ref's and sometimes think our board bashes them unfairly, or does not see the calls goes both ways.

Well this was Fn bullcrap.

DUKE
DUKE
DUKE
DUKE
DUKE
DUKE
DUKE
DUKE

I have no problem with what JB did at the end of the game. I would have done a lot worse. I would have been dropping "" bombs and BS bombs.

What, you mean you think he wasn't? :D

Well, this gets my vote for the stupidest post of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom