Please QB options | Syracusefan.com

Please QB options

You do option football as a primary attack if you don’t have a qb that can pass. Shrader (based on the numbers alone) has morphed into an above average passer, One that is having success with a balanced pass and run approach and utilizing an all American running back.

If they continue to run less up the gut and more on the periphery getting Tucker in space as much as possible, this with a lot of pulling lineman to lead the way like they just did, well that in combination with improved passing game should minimize the weaknesses on the OL and lead to continued if not greater success.

Furthermore no need to run an offense that puts your QB in harms way on purpose more than need be, yes he does it with some called qb runs and a lot more with his improvisational running ability, but that’s enough exposure. If we see more of what we see the last game I like what we will see. I really liked The way they utilized Cruz and all the different line combinations this past game moving number 57 to guard quite a bit.

You do option football as a primary attack if you don’t have a qb that can pass. Shrader (based on the numbers alone) has morphed into an above average passer, One that is having success with a balanced pass and run approach and utilizing an all American running back.

If they continue to run less up the gut and more on the periphery getting Tucker in space as much as possible, this with a lot of pulling lineman to lead the way like they just did, well that in combination with improved passing game should minimize the weaknesses on the OL and lead to continued if not greater success.

Furthermore no need to run an offense that puts your QB in harms way on purpose more than need be, yes he does it with some called qb runs and a lot more with his improvisational running ability, but that’s enough exposure. If we see more of what we see the last game I like what we will see. I really liked The way they utilized Cruz and all the different line combinations this past game moving number 57 to guard quite a bit.
I didn't get the impression the OP was calling for option as the primary offense, but a few times a game.
we have read option run calls already,, so it can be run instead of those and not increase the number of times Shrader runs.
I think it can be an effective play.

We have 2 great runners QB and halfback, why are they not running more options, against Virginia they ran it once , Schrader kept the ball, if he pushed it to Tucker, he would have ran for a TD or large yardage...its a no brainer
We already do some RPO running where Shrader either hands off or keeps it. Shrader certainly has the ability to run but he can only take so much pounding. He already runs it quite a bit when he takes off in the pocket. I'm not opposed to some occasional option though.

But Tucker has also already fumbled an option pitch as well.

We run the option much more than you think. Sure, we don't run the sweep option or veer option or triple option, but the RPO IS an option, it's just done within the tackle box.
The normal option is down with the attention of forcing a D to commit to tackle someone and open a lane,. The RPO does much of that but usually without the QB getting smoked on plays they dont have the ball.

The bigger difference is much of the blocking schemes where RPO really is blocked much the same whether its a run or pass.

How many teams are true Option teams anymore? Georgia Tech was the last one that ran it as a primary offense. I’m not aware of another

How many teams are true Option teams anymore? Georgia Tech was the last one that ran it as a primary offense. I’m not aware of another
In the P5 they were the last one, Vandy should do it however

In the P5 they were the last one, Vandy should do it however
SOMEONE should do it, I grew up watching Syracuse run it and execution might not always be there but it was an exciting offense to watch.

SOMEONE should do it, I grew up watching Syracuse run it and execution might not always be there but it was an exciting offense to watch.
70F09523-7762-4A4D-BD23-4082D09A23D0.gif

Syracuse ran it as part of a broader offense . Not exclusively per Army , Navy, Ga Tech past. The freeze option.
Good point. But not a small part of that offense either

We have 2 great runners QB and halfback, why are they not running more options, against Virginia they ran it once , Schrader kept the ball, if he pushed it to Tucker, he would have ran for a TD or large yardage...its a no brainer
With spread offenses opiton is ran in different ways now. Speed option, veer and midline is used a lot in spread schemes. With the change in offenses defenders are now more faster and athletic. They can cover more ground. So yes option could be ran more but its not always easy having success with it. Triple option allows the QB to read the DE and then read the apex defender. He will then have the option to throw it to a Wr or run it himself. We ran some of that last year. Havent seen it this year.

Last edited:
Even though we, including me, complain about our run blocking, it’s not as bad as we think. We grade 35th of 131 teams in run blocking.
Johnson has made a big difference in getting the WR to block.

Even though we, including me, complain about our run blocking, it’s not as bad as we think. We grade 35th of 131 teams in run blocking.
Any idea what it was Pre-Wagner?