Please tell me how we are better next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Please tell me how we are better next year?

Pros: More shooters (3 at all times). More depth. More experienced forwards. More talent at forward.

Cons: Smaller centers with less experience and still no offensive ability. Younger, smaller guards.

There are a couple people on the board that are insinuating the team will be better next year. Please give me an idea of how this will be the case?

Syracuse loses three starters -- a senior guard, a senior center and the team's leading scorer.

There are four commits currently -- two combo guards, a small forward and a center that, in my opinion, is a project.

No Top 40 players committed, no McD's All-Americans, and most importantly -- nobody to fill the starting center or starting point guard role.

A ton of IF's -- if Sidibe makes a leap, if Carey makes a leap, if Hughes/Brissett become more consistent, if Boeheim gains more agility/strength in offseason, if Goodine can come right in and play, if Guerrier is the small forward with inside outside skills that we have been missing... the list goes on.

Trying to find positives about the future but there are just so many question marks...
IF AND ITS A HUGE IF. Sids tendinitis is better, The kid from the picks cuse we will be better.
Girard is twice the guard as Frank. The Kid from Mass 3 times better. Buddy is going to improve same with Hughes and Marek. Bras as well. I really hope OB comes back as he is tough and we need that. Key is we need better chemistry and i cant see how that doesnt improve. We will be better.

There are a couple people on the board that are insinuating the team will be better next year. Please give me an idea of how this will be the case?

Syracuse loses three starters -- a senior guard, a senior center and the team's leading scorer.

There are four commits currently -- two combo guards, a small forward and a center that, in my opinion, is a project.

No Top 40 players committed, no McD's All-Americans, and most importantly -- nobody to fill the starting center or starting point guard role.

A ton of IF's -- if Sidibe makes a leap, if Carey makes a leap, if Hughes/Brissett become more consistent, if Boeheim gains more agility/strength in offseason, if Goodine can come right in and play, if Guerrier is the small forward with inside outside skills that we have been missing... the list goes on.

Trying to find positives about the future but there are just so many question marks...
Yeah way too many ifs for me too feel comfortable stating that were better next season.
It can happen cause I don't think we were that good this year at all. Fortunately for us it won't take much for us to be a improved team on the offensive side of the ball since we were so bad and really tough to watch this past season with way too much isolation and settling for jump shots. If most of our returning players simply improve from year to year like they should the way most players do, especially the freshman goin into there sophomore season do just because of them getting more comfortable with speed of the college game we should be better there.
In terms of the freshman I do like them, Girard and guerrier have potential and if simply could have freshman seasons the way the Pittsburgh Panthers two freshman players had this past season which I think they're perfectly capable of but not particularly betting on that yet but it's so then yes will definitely be better this upcoming season. we shall see I guess

Last edited:
Nobody in March is going to get even close to guessing right. There’s too many unknowns.
But this is exactly what this board specializes in.
Hopefully the junior trio of Hughes, Oshae, and Marek become the vocal/team leaders.
When you put it like this, it actually sounds pretty reasonable. They should make a pretty formidable "junior trio."

JB has surprised me at times when I felt we'd have a down year and the team comes together (e.g., '10). That said, on paper (just on paper), next year looks like it could be one of the worst season's we've had in a long, long time. No reason to rehash all the possible reasons, but at best I see another mediocre ACC season - at best.

I think we over rated the team coming into the year based on how they finished last year. Then Frank was hurt and wasn’t what he was. OB regressed. With all that I think they can be better. Addition by subtraction. No standing around and watching Tyus. Jalen should get a chance to play and develop. Guerrier just may be a beast. The center being recruited might be legit but Sidibe will at least be as good as Pascal. Definitely some major “ifs” here but that’s a lot of the fun.

You forgot Girard III.

My optimistic natures tells me we'll be much more fun to watch - and right now I'll take that. Honestly we've been dreadful television for a bit now, and I'm excited about that alone. That being said, I'm in "we'll be better camp."

1. Carey. I can't really assess his vision - so I'm uneasy about his ability to play PG, but can he be worse than Frank Howard? Nope.

I watch kid's Mixtapes and watch them dribble, and see if they look like they're pretty fluid with the ball, If they are, UPSIDE! If they aren't, scary! For example, everyone was amazed that Silent G became a PG, but watch his HS Mixtape...kid had a great handle, pretty slick, pretty fluid with the ball. Watch MCW, pretty slick, with the ball, etc...

Watch Frank Howard's mixtapes...Uhhhh, not sure what screamed PG. He could do straight line drives and stutter. Decent vision...but not much else even in mixtapes.

Carey's tapes are a bit like that, but he seems more explosive - and makes some moves with the ball that don't involve him coming to a complete stop. More fluid. So, maybe he's going to grow into the role. He has more upside than Frank, but feels more like a SG to me thus far. So, we have Howard Washington - at least he's a PG.

The REST: Hughes, Marek, Goodine, OB, Guerrier, Girard, Braswell, maybe Carey. I like this group being honest. I remain bullish on OB putting it all together - the skill set is there, he just has to recognize some of his limitations and play to his strengths. The coaches need to figure it out. They're all pretty fun to watch though and all have some nice complimentary skills...only a few will obviously get big minutes though.

Center: I have no idea what we're doing here. Maybe the NCAA will have some ruling where you only have to start 4 players......why can't we have nice things. :( I kinda hate the whole group, and the incoming Ajak. Marek is okay I guess, but he weighs 93 pounds.

That group 2-4 is pretty talented, pretty athletic, pretty good shooting, and could excel in the zone. They're young, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them give us some life and a lot of fun basketball...but maybe inconsistent, but what's new with that? At least the upside is there.

That being said, OB probably goes pro, Marek likely gets moved to PG, and Carey transfers to to Purdue or something. Who knows. It's all a bunch of unknowns right now.

Every year I hear about how much better we're going to be, how much better the guys coming in are than the ones who leave and how underrated the unranked recruits are and every year since its been like this we're on the bubble or close.

IF AND ITS A HUGE IF. Sids tendinitis is better, The kid from the picks cuse we will be better.
Girard is twice the guard as Frank. The Kid from Mass 3 times better. Buddy is going to improve same with Hughes and Marek. Bras as well. I really hope OB comes back as he is tough and we need that. Key is we need better chemistry and i cant see how that doesnt improve. We will be better.

rumor... Marek was seen being dragged into the S&C weight facility with a pie in his mouth and a plate of pasta in both hands.

Every year I hear about how much better we're going to be, how much better the guys coming in are than the ones who leave and how underrated the unranked recruits are and every year since its been like this we're on the bubble or close.

Crazy people said that!

We had Jalen Carey and two projects last year. :) This year everyone was excited because of the people coming back...and the transfer.

The year before that we had OB, which people were rightfully excited about, and a bunch of kids we threw together at the last minute.

The year before that we had Tyus, who was legit, Matthew Moyer, who looked like crap even in his highlight reels but apparently could play music and was a really nice kid, and Thompson? Who sorta panned out...and then lost his mind and now barely plays for Seton Hall.

We had a legit good class with Mali, Lydon, but Frank turned out to be...well, Frank. Which seemed odd as I feel like when he was recruited there was a lot of talk about him being a high character guy. :(

Jim needs to dig deep. He is the key. No more relying on his assistants to do everything but game coach. Start traveling to recruit. Start working again. Stop mailing it in.

We can't be a lot worse. Battle will be tough to replace the other 2 not as much. I think the biggest key is adding a center. I.like the guys we are bringing in.
we can't be a lot better which is the goal!!!!! we have fallen so very far from real su basketball. at this point we should not be settling for maintaining the status quo, but rather, who we CHOOSE to take from the elite.
it is very sad to view where we have descended to.

Crazy people said that!

We had Jalen Carey and two projects last year. :) This year everyone was excited because of the people coming back...and the transfer.

The year before that we had OB, which people were rightfully excited about, and a bunch of kids we threw together at the last minute.

The year before that we had Tyus, who was legit, Matthew Moyer, who looked like crap even in his highlight reels but apparently could play music and was a really nice kid, and Thompson? Who sorta panned out...and then lost his mind and now barely plays for Seton Hall.

We had a legit good class with Mali, Lydon, but Frank turned out to be...well, Frank. Which seemed odd as I feel like when he was recruited there was a lot of talk about him being a high character guy. :(

Sigh...

We can't be a lot worse. Battle will be tough to replace the other 2 not as much. I think the biggest key is adding a center. I.like the guys we are bringing in.

Nah the ACC is tough we can be a lot worse and it’s a real possibility.

I tend to think the freshman show up better than their recruting rankings and we have a good year. But we end up wishing we had a star like Battle to lift us to Duke/UNC level since both will be down. If he comes back we have a great year. If not we have a good non conference but slug out 10 wins in the ACC ugly. Which is okay I’m not acting like we suck when we are 6 or 7 in the ACC.

"/s" is the sarcasm switch - internet thing. He was clearly joking/referring to some posters on the board who clearly have that opinion.
Thank you - I get it '79 but I can live w/o the sarcasm side - it get's very old sometimes. OK, 2012.

If we still have a weakness at PG, it’s going to be tough to be much better. If we have a void at C, that limits our offensive potential and what we can do in the half court. It’s no secret that a team playing 4 on 5 and trying to use an offensively challenged player as a pick and roll threat is just handcuffing itself. Is really hard to win consistently if you constantly have the same holes on the roster. And if we struggle to shoot or make things happen off the bounce again, how can we be any better?

Luckily, I *think* adding Goodine and Guerrier with maybe Girard, should really help. I’m just concerned that we’ll again have a team being shoehorned into a system that really doesn’t play to anybody’s strengths and really highlights some weaknesses.

Who knows, can't say we're going to be better but JB has overachieved with some of his weaker teams. Nobody thought we were going to finish .500 last year, ended up making the tourney (barely) and won a few tourney games

Hopefully we're better because when the game isn't coming easy and the opponent ups there effort to win... we match that effort and don't mail it in.

I don't think we seen maximum effort from our current squad this year in a number of games.

Losing a hard fought game is tough, but it happens.

Lazy losses are not acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom