Plenty of Talent Here | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Plenty of Talent Here

…….alright! Ok. Yeah, I’m happy we got him.
I just wanted to add that because of the great reporting SWC does, the information that Hima didn't play his last 2 years of high school do to injury and was rehabbing and building back up to playing speed his first year at Duquesne and didn't play there either came out. I did not know that. His upside looks high, really great work by the coaching staff to identify him and get him. Could be with Jesse, Mo and Peter, this is the strongest the center position has ever been.

I know a lot of people don't respect Syracuse as a program or brand and care more about what happens with Buddy's pro career

Huh? Both can be done.

Here's a hypothesis - Benny's development (as a 5*) is stalled because he was the only freshman, and fell in the Boeheim Brothers void/trap last year?
That is - he never got a chance of regular significant game time, and had no one to really relate/hang with, because he was in a recruiting class of one?

Otherwise I have no answers. 2 points. 1-5, 23 minutes... in his season two "coming out" party after one decent game all last year - a blowout vs. Duke.
you watch the games last year? he just wasn't good. And it had nothing to do with Jimmy B. What esle can we blame the B brothers on?

you watch the games last year? he just wasn't good. And it had nothing to do with Jimmy B. What esle can we blame the B brothers on?
Benny struggling - agreed.

Quincy, Bras, and Woody transferring though….

Benny struggling - agreed.

Quincy, Bras, and Woody transferring though….
That had to do more with the coach rather than Jimmy or Buddy. Q., Bras and Woody didn't play guard. And by the way, none did too much at their next school.

That had to do more with the coach rather than Jimmy or Buddy. Q., Bras and Woody didn't play guard. And by the way, none did too much at their next school.

Yeah, I don’t mean Buddy - other than when he played F.

Path to PT was certainly there at F though.

And I agree - they all should’ve stayed and played a lot here and if so they all would’ve played better here than they did elsewhere.

I think JB’s track record speaks for itself and he rides his stars - for better or worse. I don’t see Hima getting any minutes outside of Jesse being in foul trouble or absolutely gassed (assuming a close game).
If his minutes go up, so do his fouls

If his minutes go up, so do his fouls

Eh, like I said earlier, bigs typically adjust to being foul prone early in their careers. Guys like Otis Hill, Etan, Rak all significantly improved on their foul rates by their 4th year. I expect the same out of Jesse. It’s not a Sidibe situation where he’s in year 6 and still acts like he’s never seen a pump fake before.

35 minutes a game is overly optimistic. He hasn't shown, yet, that he can stay out of foul trouble consistently. Plus, asking a center with his build (especially when they get into ACC play) to play 35 minutes a game is asking a lot.
Indeed. Hima needs to give us at least 10 minutes a game.

I think Edwards gets the star treatment from the refs a bit this year and only averages 4.5 fouls per 40 instead of his previous 5.9 per 40 average in the ACC.

Under those conditions, he might score 18-10-3.

I think Bacot is great. A monster on the glass. He also effectively has two years of experience on Jesse, despite being the same class year. He started 60 games his freshman and sophomore years and played over 1,400 minutes. Jesse started 0 games and played a total of 305 minutes his first two years. He finally came into his own last season and it feels like his confidence level this year will be through the roof.

I think 18 points, 9 boards and 3-4 blocks per game is a totally reasonable expectation if Jesse can stay healthy and out of foul trouble. That would absolutely put him in the conversation of best big in the ACC.

It’s still early and obviously we aren’t really into conference play yet, but Edwards and Bacot are fairly even at this point:

Jesse: 15.6 points per game, 11.1 rebounds per game, 2.6 blocks per game

Bacot: 16.1 points per game, 11.1 rebounds per game and 1.5 blocks per game

UNC's SOS is currently 4, we are 69.

Despicable Me Whatever GIF

I just wanted to add that because of the great reporting SWC does, the information that Hima didn't play his last 2 years of high school do to injury and was rehabbing and building back up to playing speed his first year at Duquesne and didn't play there either came out. I did not know that. His upside looks high, really great work by the coaching staff to identify him and get him. Could be with Jesse, Mo and Peter, this is the strongest the center position has ever been.
We had Rosie Bouie starting and Dan S backing him up back in , '78, '79, '80

We had Rosie Bouie starting and Dan S backing him up back in , '78, '79, '80
The deprived young fans here never got to experience the Louie and Bouie show, the first and the best. But I would put Jesse and Mo Hima against all comers.

The deprived young fans here never got to experience the Louie and Bouie show, the first and the best. But I would put Jesse and Mo Hima against all comers.
Wait, you aren't saying that you think Jesse and Hima are better than Bouie and Danny? You can't really be saying that, can you?

Wait, you aren't saying that you think Jesse and Hima are better than Bouie and Danny? You can't really be saying that, can you?
After Jesse hit that 8 footer and kissed one off the glass and knocked down a jump hook, I'm really assessing his top side, which looks off the charts at this time. You can't front him because he is so long they are going to lob it over you and if you play behind him and gets the ball, he has so many ways to score you can't stop him unless you foul him. He could score 25 or more a game, and his team mates should make it happen, he could be a lottery pick. I am feeling like he is the best center in Orange history, no disrespect meant to Rosie or Shayes.

After Jesse hit that 8 footer and kissed one off the glass and knocked down a jump hook, I'm really assessing his top side, which looks off the charts at this time. You can't front him because he is so long they are going to lob it over you and if you play behind him and gets the ball, he has so many ways to score you can't stop him unless you foul him. He could score 25 or more a game, and his team mates should make it happen, he could be a lottery pick. I am feeling like he is the best center in Orange history, no disrespect meant to Rosie or Shayes.

Rony says hold my beer.

It’s an interesting question.

You’ve got to win one game. Who’s your center?
Jesse, Rony, Fab, Rak, Arinze, Etan?

I don’t think I choose Seikaly.

Who’s the opponent? That’s important to me because there’s differences in the offensive and defensive games of those guys. In general though I’m going with Rony.

Who’s the opponent? That’s important to me because there’s differences in the offensive and defensive games of those guys. In general though I’m going with Rony.
It’s hard to assess for me, both because of the competition in the various eras, and recency bias/my memories.

Seik went up against guys like Ewing. But he was also in the same era as guys like Derek Brower.…

I just remember Seikaly as not having great hands. And being surrounded by other NBA guys.

Probably would be a more appropriate question to ask in the scheme of an entire season, not one game…. And on what team. On this team, I’d want more offense. On a team with better scorers, I’d want someone like Fab to command the paint and do that oop/run the floor and slam impact thing. In a half court, plodding team, I’d want senior year Rak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom