points... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

points...

yes,that is correct and he was NOT a pocket pro style passer. you do realize that dino wants a prostyle pocket passer. my bias for a dual threat qb is showing.
Not necessarily anymore.

Not for nothing but we aren’t the only team with new OC/DC on a shortened season. Hell the Beagles have a completely new staff and seemed to have figured it out so far. But for some reason our guys can’t swallow their ego and adjust to their personnel.

I hope this “throw away season” where there’s gonna be 1 win doesn’t turn into a ton of decommits. I don’t know any kid that has great offers who wants to play for a 1 win program the previous year. I actually think this season willl cost the program 2-3

I do realize that and I am with you to say the least. when we have been good, my entire fandom, well over 45 years, we have always had duel threat QB's. Always.
^^^This^^^... I totally agree and have been preaching this as well.

Eric Dungey? You do realize that we had a QB that led us to a 10 win season against great competition just two years ago.

Eric was a 3 star true freshman who got to play when Terrell Hunt got hurt and you could instantly see he was better. Just sayin'.

Eric was a 3 star true freshman who got to play when Terrell Hunt got hurt and you could instantly see he was better. Just sayin'.
Would've been nice if he could've redshirted, matured physically before taking over, and not wasted an injury shortened year. Maybe we get at least two healthy years out of him.

It's going to take time to recover from losing that way to the likes of Liberty. But there were a few bright spots for SU I thought I'd point out. First of all, the OL played a pretty good game. Despite the string (6) of injuries and cobbled-together lineup, protection was a lot better. Rex was sacked 3x on 40 attempts. Not great, but IIRC 2 of those were coverage sacks. Not only wasn't he running for his life, he had 4-5 seconds on multiple pass plays. Run blocking has been slower to develop (3.6 ypc), and it was especially tough to see them STB at the goal line (again). These problems, unfortunately, won't get fixed anytime soon, maybe slightly if we get some guys healed up (the rest when we complete the unit next year). But overall improved .. better unit blocking, blitz coverage and communication.

Second, Rex acquitted himself well. No one was expecting him to light the ACC on fire. Obviously we missed TD's passing ability and his feet. But Rex threw 10 first down passes and 3 TD passes against 1 pic. The last TD pass to AQ in the corner was a thing of beauty. So this loss wasn't on him. The completion percentage was off, but that was mostly on the WR's (multiple drops, again). Like TD, he struggled to identify 2d options. And (unlike TD) he seemed to get stuck in the turf when no one was open. One of his incompletions, in fairness, was a long bomb he put right through Taj's fingers (which seemed to firm up after the game). But overall, I have to give Rex props ... he hung in there and played a decent game. With all he's been through, it was great to see him out there healthy and having fun.

Third, Tucker. He just continues to impress. With such a humiliating performance by our Defense, it's hard to believe he had another 100+ yard game. But he did (119) with a 5 ypc average. The performance was overshadowed by Louis (170, and a ridiculous 17 ypr average). But that wasn't on Tucker. Expect great things from him in the future.

Last, our special teams play is starting to flash. KO returns show good blocking (despite one penalty) and NJ is turning into a real threat. Our punter is killing it and saved our bacon several times on field position.

Last edited:
I know that

Eric Dungey? You do realize that we had a QB that led us to a 10 win season against great competition just two years ago.

Great competition? What team did we beat that wasn't mediocre at best? NC State would be the only answer. Maybe you could include WV despite them having a bunch of kids opt out of the game. And we lost to a mediocre Pitt team. Our 2nd best regular season win that year was over a 7-5 BC team on the road.

Great competition? What team did we beat that wasn't mediocre at best? NC State would be the only answer. Maybe you could include WV despite them having a bunch of kids opt out of the game. And we lost to a mediocre Pitt team. Our 2nd best regular season win that year was over a 7-5 BC team on the road.
The ACC is great competition. Spin notwithstanding. It's the same league we are playing in right now. It was better competition than we played in 1987 when we went unbeaten.

Let's face it .. it's going to take time to recover from losing that way to the likes of Liberty. But there were a few bright spots for SU I thought I'd point out. First of all, the OL played a pretty good game. Despite the string (6) of injuries and cobbled-together lineup, protection was a lot better. Rex was sacked 3x on 40 attempts. Not great, but IIRC 2 of those were coverage sacks. In fact, not only wasn't he running for his life, he had 4-5 seconds on multiple pass plays. Run blocking is not there yet (3.6 ypc). They also STB at the goal line (again), and those problems won't get fixed until guys get healed up. But overall improved .. better unit blocking, blitz coverage and communication.

Second, Rex acquitted himself well. No one was expecting him to light the ACC on fire. Obviously we missed TD's passing ability and his feet. But Rex threw 10 first down passes and 3 TD passes against 1 pic. The last TD pass to AQ in the corner was a thing of beauty. So this loss wasn't on him. The completion percentage was off, but that was mostly on the WR's (multiple drops, again). Like TD, he struggled to identify 2d options. And (unlike TD) he seemed to get stuck in the turf when no one was open. One of his incompletions, in fairness, was a long bomb he put right on Taj's fingers (which seemed to work better after the game). But overall, I have to give Rex props ... he hung in there and played a decent game. With all he's been through, it was great to see him out there healthy and having fun.

Third, Tucker. He just continues to impress. With such a humiliating performance by our Defense, it's hard to believe he had another 100+ yard game. But he did (119) with a 5 ypc average. The performance was overshadowed by Louis (170, 17 ypc average - ridiculous). But that wasn't on Tucker. Expect great things from him in the future.

Last, our special teams play is starting to flash. KO returns show good blocking (despite one penalty) and NJ is turning into a real threat. Our punter is killing it and saved our bacon several times on field position.

Imagine how many yards Tucker would have gained against our defense? He would have had Josh Hough numbers.

Dasher – my bad …. under my own deadline I spaced Eric. I was one of his biggest fans - the man was amazing. The mistake has been corrected by an edit. Thank you for your twisting my head around and reminding me to look at him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom