Police raid apartment of Florida State QB Deondre Francois | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Police raid apartment of Florida State QB Deondre Francois

I would equate selling weed to driving 47 in a 35 mph zone. Yeah, technically it's wrong, but ugh who cares.

(Yes a speed camera got me yesterday and I'm still annoyed).
What about statues of guys who sold weed?

I KID, I KID...

The only thing criminal about selling weed is that gov't hasn't taxed it yet.

I would equate selling weed to driving 47 in a 35 mph zone. Yeah, technically it's wrong, but ugh who cares.

Here is the bottom line however...doesn't matter what your stance is on legalizing weed...it's illegal to sell it. Not the same as speeding...selling in Florida is a felony...throw in the possibility that it was being sold within 1000 ft of a school, or college, or a park...you now have an aggravated charge, punishable by up to 15 years in prison. It's not even legal to sell it in states where it's legal to buy it, unless you're a licensed seller. The whole point is to eliminate the black market, and the crimes that come with black market sales (things like murder), and to gain tax revenue. So what he was doing was, at the very least, a felony. No way he doesn't know it, and accept the risks...which means he's dumb as a box of rocks, and now charged with a felony if anything comes out of it.
Not sure I would equate it with doing 47 in a 35. I would equate it with being a drug dealer.
When someone sells weed at a low level, they bought it from someone who bought it in bulk, who purchased that bulk from someone who more than likely is selling more than just weed. It funds the black market, and all the wonderful things that come along with it, like human trafficking, rape, murder, etc.
When you eliminate the black market, and sell it legally, you are not funding the gangs, and cartels operations. It's not a small deal.

Last edited:
But to be clear, the police have no evidence that he was selling weed.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff America used to care about and all.

america is not innocent until guilty we are the opposite in almost all things other than court trials..

the amount he had is what people buy to celebrate a certain date this week. when john boehner sees the dollar signs...

The ongoing weed wars are absurd. Our grandchildren will think we were morons for all the time, money and jail time resulting from our government prosecuting people for using something that grows EVERYWHERE and allows people to relax a bit - maybe feel a little less pain.

Sorry - this kind of thing pisses me off.

Ehh possible, but why bother with the investigation and the raid if that's gonna be the outcome?
Because FSU players are protected, buy they need to make it look like the law applies equally.

Nah. How many FSU students are surveiled for 2 months over weed? Complete waste of time and money.
Agreed, but no one would know about the other students.

Last edited:
A couple quick points on investigations:

1) Tallahassee police are known to protect FSU key players, take this point however you prefer
2) DF may have been the target and there really was nothing more
3) DF was not a target and may have been nothing more than an incidental catch (if this, it is likely something leaked and they had to take some public action)
4) If this is a first offense, expect a little community service and a slap on the wrist, assuming he wasn't dealing.
5) Whoever the real target of surveillance was, they were working for a much larger charge than possession of a joint.

The ongoing weed wars are absurd. Our grandchildren will think we were morons for all the time, money and jail time resulting from our government prosecuting people for using something that grows EVERYWHERE and allows people to relax a bit - maybe feel a little less pain.

Sorry - this kind of thing pisses me off.

I agree with your sentiments but I think its more likely that our grandchildren will be shocked that it was ever legalized in the 2000s/2010s given the way things are going. Stricter laws and more mass incarceration to go with increased law enforcement/military spending is what is coming down the pipeline. Since actual violent crime is at historic lows weed will be what helps fill those for profit prisons. Its sad/scary how anyone can justify it being illegal and I can't stand smoking the stuff. I have a lot of friends who are cops some in states that still have archaic laws and all of them HATE it being illegal and despise having to bust people for it.

Taggert lost a TON of games early in his career at WKU and USF. I am sure he will get a lot of big recruits but I think they will be a lot more beatable going forward.

Taggert lost a TON of games early in his career at WKU and USF. I am sure he will get a lot of big recruits but I think they will be a lot more beatable going forward.
Looking forward to the 2019 Orange victory. It’ll be my first visit to Tallahassee, doing the Orange Chop...

Because FSU players are protected, buy they need to make it look like the law applies equally.
Yes, I read a study that showed 56% of FSU athletes got off on legal issues, where only 28% of the school population did.

Posted a few times, with no response...

NCAA rules state that a player loses 1/2 a year of eligibility, for the first drug violation. Yes. Marijuana.

If correct... Does this mean Francois doesn't make the trip to the dome?

Or 3) they found more but reported a smaller amount.
4) Or it was his personal smoking weed and he wasnt dealing, and someone with an axe to grid dropped dime on him

The Orlando Sentinel reported that TPD received information from an informant who saw a grocery bag full of marijuana at Francois' apartment — an amount police estimated at about two pounds. The police began investigating and collected Francois' garbage four times between the end of February and the beginning of April.

Based on what they found in the garbage, they obtained a search warrant and conducted a raid of the apartment last Thursday. The TPD said the garbage from Francois' apartment contained plastic bags with marijuana residue, innards of blunt cigars, a grinder, an instant drug test cup and three vials of pain medication

UPDATE: Deondre Francois was placed in a pre-trial diversion program Thursday for a case involving a misdemeanor charge of possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. In a statement to the Tallahassee Democrat, Florida State coach Willie Taggart said the situation would be handled internally. This likely isn’t a dealbreaker for the quarterback competition described below, but it certainly doesn’t help Francois’s case.

america is not innocent until guilty we are the opposite in almost all things other than court trials..

Agree. In 2018, it's guilty until proven innocent. And even then, no one will care. Damage is done.

Looking forward to the 2019 Orange victory. It’ll be my first visit to Tallahassee, doing the Orange Chop...
Angle your arm a little bit and call it the Orange Slice. ;)

Is the 35 zone near houses and pedestrians and stuff? If so, I think that's worse than selling weed...

Selling weed is more like driving 77 in a 65 with both hands at 10 and 2 and both eyes on the road. Or jaywalking. They're violations of the letter of the law, but no harm, no foul in my book.