Police | Syracusefan.com

Police

DPCuse

Starter
One thing I heard this morning on the radio that may complicate this a bit. The police were notified about Sandusky in the late 90s and investigated him and did not bring charges. So if you are Joe Pa or even a PSU administrator, could you have let it go thinking, we notified the police, what more can we do? We can't convict Sandusky ourselves. He wasn't an employee any longer. Is this what Joe Pa and the administrators were basing their inactions on? The main point people are making is that someone should have called the police. Well if this is true, they did call them! If that is the case, then the police are the bigger culprits as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else hear about the police not bringing charges in the late 90s? That is disturbing and this is such a sick situation.

And the DA did not bring charges, the same DA that is now missing and presumed dead and who's computer harddrive was found destroyed beyond repair.

Yeah, you definitely never get the police involved again when you're presented with evidence of criminal behavior continuing to occur. Definitely not. You just assume one investigation which led to Sandusky admitting he did wrong and wishing himself dead completely cleared him of all suspicion for all time.

:bang:

The incident that McQueary witnessed and reported to JoePA occurred after the investigation that led to no charges being filed. Just because they investigated and didn't find enough evidence to charge him at that time, does that mean you give him a free pass to do whatever the hell he damn well pleases from that point forward??

The cops may have been part of the cover up. Local police in State College? Yeah, sure.

What I don't get is that if he admits to doing stuff with a child, shouldn't there be some sort of warrant for his arrest? If I confess my crime, ought i be arrested?

One take I heard that made me put down my pitchfork and torch for a minute and think.

When Paterno told Shultz, did he think he did tell the cops? Afterall, Shultz was the head of the campus police among other things.

Paterno didn't follow up and therefore deserves to be fired, but he kind of got scumbagged in a few ways here. What McQueary witnessed should've never ended up on Paternos desk. When it did and he passed it on to Shultz, it shouldn't have required him to follow up.

One take I heard that made me put down my pitchfork and torch for a minute and think.

When Paterno told Shultz, did he think he did tell the cops? Afterall, Shultz was the head of the campus police among other things.

Paterno didn't follow up and therefore deserves to be fired, but he kind of got scumbagged in a few ways here. What McQueary witnessed should've never ended up on Paternos desk. When it did and he passed it on to Shultz, it shouldn't have required him to follow up.

Precisely. If Schultz had done his job and reported the info to the cops, no one gets angry at JoePa for not personally reporting Sandusky. Obviously, Paterno should have noticed that nothing was done when Sandusky continued to show up on campus with boys though.

This happened twice!!! Penn state allowed him to have an office in the football building and have full access to their facilities.

JoePA is the Mayor of State College. Regardless of nominal chain of command everyone there answers to him and what he wants. For god sakes he is the guy who when the Board of Trustees came to his house to try to let him go 10 years ago he told them to get out and then continued coaching there for the next 10 years.

If Schultz didn't report the incident it was likely because JoePA made it known that "we should keep this within the family and deal with it ourselves." He certainly didn't go to Schultz clamoring that something be done, otherwise something would have been done. It is that simple.

For JoePA to hide behind having reported it to Curley and Schultz is just completely sackless. Keep in mind that JoePa was Sandusky's direct supervisor this entire time, he is the whole reason Sandusky is there in that position, he is also likely a long time friend of Sandusky's. If you're in that position don't you see it as an obligation to follow through until something is done......unless of course you're more worried about the impact to your personal reputation.

JoePA is the Mayor of State College. Regardless of nominal chain of command everyone there answers to him and what he wants. For god sakes he is the guy who when the Board of Trustees came to his house to try to let him go 10 years ago he told them to get out and then continued coaching there for the next 10 years.

If Schultz didn't report the incident it was likely because JoePA made it known that "we should keep this within the family and deal with it ourselves." He certainly didn't go to Schultz clamoring that something be done, otherwise something would have been done. It is that simple.

For JoePA to hide behind having reported it to Curley and Schultz is just completely sackless. Keep in mind that JoePa was Sandusky's direct supervisor this entire time, he is the whole reason Sandusky is there in that position, he is also likely a long time friend of Sandusky's. If you're in that position don't you see it as an obligation to follow through until something is done......unless of course you're more worried about the impact to your personal reputation.

1) Joe is a borderline deity at PSU, but if the guy may or may not even have legitimate control of his own football team anymore, what makes you think that the administration would basically succumb to his every desire on things like this?

2) I have to imagine that a lot of this is because Sandusky was a longtime friend. I would think that if something like this happens with your good friend, a quick reaction would be disbelief. Doesn't excuse Paterno, not even a little bit, but I think it's a bit of an assumption to claim it was all about his personal reputation.

We need to stop looking at the 2002 incidence. That is just one data point and one that Paterno was wrong about anyways as he reported it to another cover up crony like himself. Who reported what to whom in 2002 has zero to do with anything since they were ALL in bed together.

1) Joe is a borderline deity at PSU, but if the guy may or may not even have legitimate control of his own football team anymore, what makes you think that the administration would basically succumb to his every desire on things like this?

Today, but we aren't talking about today. We are talking as early as 1977 until as late as 2007, maybe later. Joe had his full faculties during the 70's, 80's and 90's and was the face of PSU as well as #1 person at PSU. How do you think he was able to tell the BOT to go to hell and kick the Prez and AD out of his house in 2004 when they went there to tell him the BOT wanted him to retire?

Today, but we aren't talking about today. We are talking as early as 1977 until as late as 2007, maybe later. Joe had his full faculties during the 70's, 80's and 90's and was the face of PSU as well as #1 person at PSU. How do you think he was able to tell the BOT to go to hell and kick the Prez and AD out of his house in 2004 when they went there to tell him the BOT wanted him to retire?

Fair enough. I don't think anyone realistically thinks that his passing info up the chain is sufficient...but would anyone be this upset at Joe if the guys above him had done their jobs and reported it? Paterno's shitty way of handling the situation was made multiplied when the people above him handled it even worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom