Poll bias and Pittsburgh. | Syracusefan.com

Poll bias and Pittsburgh.

This is why: (not a good win in there)- when they beat real teams they'll move up. Look at that schedule. Cupcakes!

Savannah State 7:00 PM ET W 88 - 55
Fresno State 7:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 75 - 54
Howard 5:00 PM ET W 84 - 52
Lehigh 7:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 77 - 58
Texas Tech* 7:30 PM ET ESPN2/ESPN3 W 76 - 53
Stanford* 9:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 88 - 67
Duquesne* 1:00 PM ET CBSS W 84 - 67
Tue. Dec. 3 vs. Penn State 7:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 78 - 69
Loyola Marymount 7:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 85 - 68 .
Youngstown State 12:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 91 - 73
Cincinnati* 7:00 PM ET ESPN/ESPN3 L 43 - 44
Cal Poly 4:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 73 - 56
Albany 1:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 58 - 46
North Carolina State 12:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 74 - 62
Maryland 7:00 PM ET ESPN-U/ESPN3 W 79 - 59

They are 23 in RPI with that record because their SOS is 114. As Sherm said, their schedule has been less than stellar.

Pitt's best win came against a team currently ranked 60 in the RPI. It is tough to judge how good the Panthers are right now. SU has beaten seven opponents with a higher RPI.

This is why: (not a good win in there)- when they beat real teams they'll move up. Look at that schedule. Cupcakes!

Savannah State 7:00 PM ET W 88 - 55
Fresno State 7:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 75 - 54
Howard 5:00 PM ET W 84 - 52
Lehigh 7:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 77 - 58
Texas Tech* 7:30 PM ET ESPN2/ESPN3 W 76 - 53
Stanford* 9:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 88 - 67
Duquesne* 1:00 PM ET CBSS W 84 - 67
Tue. Dec. 3 vs. Penn State 7:30 PM ET ESPN-U W 78 - 69
Loyola Marymount 7:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 85 - 68 .
Youngstown State 12:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 91 - 73
Cincinnati* 7:00 PM ET ESPN/ESPN3 L 43 - 44
Cal Poly 4:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 73 - 56
Albany 1:00 PM ET ESPN3 W 58 - 46
North Carolina State 12:00 PM ET ESPN-FC/ESPN3 W 74 - 62
Maryland 7:00 PM ET ESPN-U/ESPN3 W 79 - 59

Pitt's OOC's schedules are always terrible, and they don't seem to get much media attention for it. It seems like we get hammered for our OOC schedules even when it's a pretty tough schedule! And when we actually do play a weak OOC schedule, we never hear the end of it all year.

Pitt's OOC's schedules are always terrible, and they don't seem to get much media attention for it. It seems like we get hammered for our OOC schedules even when it's a pretty tough schedule! And when we actually do play a weak OOC schedule, we never hear the end of it all year.

Its in large part because Pitt doesn't matter on a national level as much as Syracuse does.

Georgetown did the same crap as well. And for the same reason as above we get more attention.

They beat Albany by 12 and Albany has a great team logo...
albany-01.png

They should be in the top 25 next week. Their schedule was weak (#293 per KP), but some of the other teams in the bottom of the top 25 such as Illinois didn't really accomplish much either.

If we try to equalize for schedule, most systems have said they have been impressive. I dont think that means they deserved to be in the top 25 before last week, but the predictive indicators were there... they just need a few good wins now to validate it.

Pitt is good... maybe very good but its hard to tell. However, they have been impressive when playing so/so teams like NC State or Wake they've hammered em.

Plus they haven't really been in national tv to get any exposure to pollsters. They will be ranked on Monday though.

Illinois, who was 13-2 entering the week, was an example of the conference bias that enters the AP Poll.

Basically
a) Illinois is 13-2
b) Illinois is in the Big Ten
and c) the Big Ten is possibly the best conference

So therefore Illinois is a top 25 team. (it didn't matter that they have not played in the BiG yet or have one decent win and a few bad losses)

If Pitt or Cincy had been in the BiG they would have been top 25 teams as well. Its not that there was an agenda, or a long time bias for the BiG per se... its just a natural bias that occurs for those that are part of the "top" conference.

Its just another example of the biases that exist in the AP Top 25.

Also to be fair the last poll came out on Monday, they were 13-1. Not like it's a big deal, but we'll see if they are ranked this week.

But so much of the rankings is where you start. THey didn't start ranked, did they?

I've seen Pitt's schedule lambasted on ESPN's college coverage--justifiably so.

I think they are rated right about where they should be, given the opposition they've faced. Really looking forward to our game with them.

Illinois, who was 13-2 entering the week, was an example of the conference bias that enters the AP Poll.

Basically
a) Illinois is 13-2
b) Illinois is in the Big Ten
and c) the Big Ten is possibly the best conference

So therefore Illinois is a top 25 team. (it didn't matter that they have not played in the BiG yet or have one decent win and a few bad losses)

If Pitt or Cincy had been in the BiG they would have been top 25 teams as well. Its not that there was an agenda, or a long time bias for the BiG per se... its just a natural bias that occurs for those that are part of the "top" conference.

Its just another example of the biases that exist in the AP Top 25.
Illinois beat Missouri and Indiana.

UNC received 35 more votes than Pitt in the last AP rankings. That's absurd.

Oregon hasn't really beaten anybody either (Illinois, Mississippi?, and a few mediocre mid majors like BYU and Georgetown)

Gonzaga has beaten nobody. UMass, too.

They are 23 in RPI with that record because their SOS is 114. As Sherm said, their schedule has been less than stellar.

less than stellar? my god... thats the nicest thing ive ever heard.

Leon Lett slipped on an icy field once too...

They are 15-1 and not in the top 25! How is this possible??

If anybody else comes on this board, ever again, and tries to get freaking Pizzleburger extra credit, attention, accolades, or any other positive thing - for any reason whatsoever - I will personally come to your house and gouge your eyes out. Panther style.

You have been warned. All of you.

Illinois beat Missouri and Indiana.

Indiana? And that was a home game as well

If we are going to use that as a threshold then Pitt has three quality wins - Stanford, Maryland, and possibly even at NC St. All similar to Indiana. None are quality wins.

Yes Illinois beat Missouri on a neutral court. They also lost at Georgia Tech which is about as terrible a loss that you will see in the top 25 right now.

UNC received 35 more votes than Pitt in the last AP rankings. That's absurd.

Oregon hasn't really beaten anybody either (Illinois, Mississippi?, and a few mediocre mid majors like BYU and Georgetown)

Gonzaga has beaten nobody. UMass, too.

I think UMass has proven they belong to be in the discussion for the bottom of the top 25.

They may not have an elite win, but they been 4-1 against the tier of teams in the 26-50 group on neutral/away floors. They beat Clemson, BYU, New Mexico (all on neutral courts) and Ohio (on the road). They did lose to Florida St.

Those wins are all 40ish level type teams. Its enough to prove they are above that level - so the next level is top 25 bubble.

Indiana? And that was a home game as well

If we are going to use that as a threshold then Pitt has three quality wins - Stanford, Maryland, and possibly even at NC St. All similar to Indiana. None are quality wins.

Yes Illinois beat Missouri on a neutral court. They also lost at Georgia Tech which is about as terrible a loss that you will see in the top 25 right now.
Claim bias after Pitt gets a quality win. Until then, you're wasting your breathe.

Claim bias after Pitt gets a quality win. Until then, you're wasting your breathe.

I think where the disconnect occurred is when I brought up Illinois as an example of a bias in the poll. My point was not meant to be a comparison of Illinois vs Pitt. It was to be a standalone point about some teams being in the top 25 due to biases - in line with the topic on poll bias. And Illinois is a good example because IMO they are only in the Top 25 because of their conference affiliation.

I do not believe that Pitt should be in the top 25 prior to this week, or is being held back by bias and I never made those claims.. I brought up Pitt wins in my last post, to counter your point that Indiana was a quality win.

With respect to Illinois only being in the top 25 due to conference bias. How were they ranked above Cincinnati last week...

- Cincinnati only had 2 losses (none bad), and had wins over Pitt and at Memphis,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom