Poll - Did JB Manipulate This or Did He Just Save Us? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Poll - Did JB Manipulate This or Did He Just Save Us?

Boeheim - Master Manipulator or Saving Our Butts Now That Mike Left?

• Boeheim Manipulated This To Happen

Votes: 72 43.4%
  • Mike Simply Got An Offer Too Good to Refuse

Votes: 94 56.6%

• Total voters
Did you watch the whole presser? JB stated that he has never released the conditions of his contracts and he is not going to start now. Wildhack stated that contracts are between the coaches and the university. Also, SU is private not a state school, so not required to release details of contract. Finally, if he wasn't going to retire after next year, why would an extension be needed? His contract was set to expire corresponding with his planned retirement.

Next...

Why did they call the press conference? It's like I'm talking to a fern here.

Last edited:
I believe that JB and whomever the AD it at the time he retires (hopefully Wildhack) will have a good plan for any transition. It would not surprise me if sometime during a season, or before it, JB tells Hack he is done and they quietly put out feelers for a replacement. The season ends, JB announces retirement, then very shortly after a replacement is hired...would be shocked if it became a long drawn out affair...JB doesn't seem to be the type not to plan and especially not someone who wants to leave something he had spent a majority of life his building to leave it in disarray...

There is never, really, any guarantee that he or anyone can leave anything on good terms.

Why did they call the press conference? It's like I'm talking to a fern here.

Well you know how I feel when I ask you questions or provide something to support your argument, yet you provide nothing in return. Did you watch the entire presser? Not gonna do your homework for ya kiddo...

That makes no sense...Hop has been contacted numerous times from schools interested in hiring him...why would UW be any different? That is all conjecture and guessing on your part and everyone else...

I am going by facts and what has been said/stated by all those involved...JB, Hop, Hack, etc. Not relying on 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. party comments on a message board...until someone has un-refutable proof that JB manipulated this, I am going to stick with the HoF coach of 40+ years, who has, to my knowledge, never publicly lied...

During his press conference, he did claim that he never once thought about staying on after the 3 year period. I don't see him as a liar, but I don't believe that. He's not perfect, and never claimed to be, but comments like that from him can preserve the widespread skepticism about him.

I voted Mike's good offer

Well you know how I feel when I ask you questions or provide something to support your argument, yet you provide nothing in return. Did you watch the entire presser? Not gonna do your homework for ya kiddo...

"I want to continue to coach," Boeheim admitted on Monday. "It's fun. It doesn't get old."

"I think," he continued, "you can coach until you're 80, if you wanted to. If you're healthy, why not?"

"I want to continue to coach," Boeheim admitted on Monday. "It's fun. It doesn't get old."

"I think," he continued, "you can coach until you're 80, if you wanted to. If you're healthy, why not?"

I guess you are choosing to ignore where he said there was a plan in place, they were working on it until Hop decided to go to UW and that he was prepared to retire after next year. You think someone who just got an extension and has a job where recruiting plays a huge part is gonna say anything different than what you quoted? He may not have completely wanted to retire, but was ready and preparing to retire. It can be both. Plus he said he was fully in support of Hop being the next HC and thought he would have done a good job...but with Hop leaving, obviously that plan changed and for continuity of the program he was asked to extend...

During his press conference, he did claim that he never once thought about staying on after the 3 year period. I don't see him as a liar, but I don't believe that. He's not perfect, and never claimed to be, but comments like that from him can preserve the widespread skepticism about him.

Agreed...I think we just need to wait and see...you never know what will happen and what people's motivations are. Hop to UW is a perfect example.

I guess you are choosing to ignore where he said there was a plan in place, they were working on it until Hop decided to go to UW and that he was prepared to retire after next year. You think someone who just got an extension and has a job where recruiting plays a huge part is gonna say anything different than what you quoted? He may not have completely wanted to retire, but was ready and preparing to retire. It can be both. Plus he said he was fully in support of Hop being the next HC and thought he would have done a good job...but with Hop leaving, obviously that plan changed and for continuity of the program he was asked to extend...

smh...so it's "damage control" until you say otherwise...ok!

smh...so it's "damage control" until you say otherwise...ok!

Another challenge, not that I think you will meet as you didn't even try the other challenge I made to you...Please show me where I have said or implied that at all...

I see you are not too concerned with your credibility on this board...

Another challenge, not that I think you will meet as you didn't even try the other challenge I made to you...Please show me where I have said or implied that at all...

I see you are not too concerned with your credibility on this board...

Oh you got me...enjoy!

I have read a lot of the posts. Listen to radio commentators, read newspaper articles and blogs. I was wondering. Why do man y say "we all know JB didn't want to retire 2018". Why do we all know that? Was it because that is what they ("news people" were saying/guessing/wishing? Can anybody give me a quote from JB that says that he did not want to (or at least intent to) retire after 2017-18 season? How about a named source that said JB told him that. unnamed source close to JB? Dasher at least gives that on the other side of the story, that Hop did this on his own and not for the reasons being attributed to him. And Dasher has complete confidence in it. Of course that doesn't count the 45 minutes of JB saying he had not intention of coaching past 17-18. Or the AD sitting right next to him not disagreeing with that. Or any of the other times during press conferences that he said the same. So call me naïve. Call me stupid. But I believe JB. I want to believe Dashers story. Now that does not mean that I think that the extension is the best course of action. Maybe that should be another poll.

Here's an article from 6 weeks ago, where Wildhack felt the need to speak publicly about speculation that JB did not want to retire:

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

And here's another article following last year's Final Four, where he seemed to raise doubts about his impending retirement.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...acuse-college-basketball-final-four/82528666/

And of course there was this story by Pete Thamel. I think something similar ran in the Times.
Who will coach at Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville?

Well, if he "never once" considered it, he's a pretty good kidder. It came up at last year's Final Four. It has come up in press conferences a few times this year, especially at away games, where people tried to ask him about his retirement plans, and he was generally evasive or non-committal. There have been a couple articles out there, prior to all this exploding these past few days.

In Boeheim's defense, he likely feels like the NCAA was railroading him, and we have heard him say he didn't think he did anything wrong, that he didn't know about any of the violations. The joy he felt at winning #1000 was enormous, and he talked some crap at the NCAA after that game, if you recall. "I know how many games I've won."

I will refrain from the poll question because it could be answered many different ways. Just find it very odd that Hop leaves in year 10 of a 10 year wait for the HC job at SU with no other influences present. Needless to say I think SU bungled the "transition" plan years ago by making it public, and at least they're smart enough to have at least attempted to fix that now. But we're in a spot now...

Here's an article from 6 weeks ago, where Wildhack felt the need to speak publicly about speculation that JB did not want to retire:

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

And here's another article following last year's Final Four, where he seemed to raise doubts about his impending retirement.

Though retirement date is set for 2018, Jim Boeheim doesn’t seem close to ready

And of course there was this story by Pete Thamel. I think something similar ran in the Times.
Who will coach at Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville?
Again, I don't see even a reference to JB going to the AD and asking that his retirement date be extended. Wildhack just reaffirms that a plan is in place in the first article. And it wasn't because he felt the need to do that but because he was asked a question. The second article even says things seem vague. And most people here took the reference to mean that JB could leave even earlier since he is not one to want a grand retirement tour. And Thamels article says nothing about a quote, just that people around JB feel he'll find a way to coach beyond next season. Again, no direct quote or even an unnamed quote. These all lead to the "everybody knows" situation. I only know what the writers are saying , their opinions, no facts. The fact remains that the only quotes are from JB saying he intended next year to be his last.

Here is something for your side. Just a while ago on a Rochester talk show, the commentator said that earlier in the year he was told that there was friction between JB and Hop. After that the commentator said he paid specific attention to see if the two interacted during games. And he said it seemed to him that JB didn't talk to Hop during the games. He thought that that MIGHT infer that there was friction. Again, just opinion but at least the guy says that is such. I don't pay much attention to what happens on the bench but maybe somebody here noticed the same thing OR maybe it is JB's way not to do a lot of interaction with coaches during a game.

Again, I don't see even a reference to JB going to the AD and asking that his retirement date be extended. Wildhack just reaffirms that a plan is in place in the first article. And it wasn't because he felt the need to do that but because he was asked a question.

Well, here in reality, when the AD and the Chancellor both say within the last 6 months or so that you will be leaving at the end of the 2018 season, why on earth would he walk into their offices to ask them whether they really meant it?

In reality, what people do is they leak things and they help plant articles to stir up dicussion in hopes of a groundswell of popular support to reverse the superiors' decision. That's where those stories were coming from. I used to work in PR. That's how the press works. People plant information for writers to write stories about.

having slept on all this. my responses have been schizophrenic at best. i conclude (to satisfy myself) that wildhack acted to quickly. much like my reactions. i think we should have stuck to the timeline, done a coaching search (which we probably have a short list),and had jb retire as planned. by extending him i think we have created more chaos. i'd rather take the medicine now, we with a less than stellar class coming in . make a clean break, and start anew. hopkins leaving is not the end of the world.
i would rather begin a new era than continue with a program that imho is trending down.take our lumps now. it is time for a transfusion in the program. boeheim has been the foundation and the face of syracuse.no one can say he has not been the biggest asset to the university and the city for which we are all thankful.
Good post, just turn on auto caps at beginning of sentences. Please you're killing my OCD.

Boeheim unintentionally "forced" Hopkins out by making it very obvious that he does not want to stop coaching.

Hop didn't want to take the job from his mentor and father-figure when he wasn't truly ready to hand it over. Hop has always been looking for a good HC position and knew all along he could be picky. If this Washington offer hadn't come along Hop would have reluctantly accepted the SU position.

How do you hire a coach who won't take over as the head coach until 2018-19?

Has that ever happened? Would the new coach come in and sit next to JB for the entire season? Would he coach elsewhere for one more year then take over after the season?

Seems awkward.
boeheim retires the first season a coach is found. what is the difference between a coach who is announcing his retirement at the end of season,or is fired at the end of the season and the situation we r in? all we have done at this point is create more chaos by extending jb. contrary to what most people think, it stabilized nothing. and created more instability and questions.just my ho.we have taken what most schools see as a routine situation and added unecessary drama to it.

Good post, just turn on auto caps at beginning of sentences. Please you're killing my OCD.
how do i do that? it kills me as well when i re-read my posts. i am techno-challenged.

how do i do that? it kills me as well when i re-read my posts. i am techno-challenged.
Go into your phone: Settings -> Language & Input -> Keyboard.

Then set "Auto Capitalize" to on. That's my Android procedure. Should be close if you have an iPhone.

Go into your phone: Settings -> Language & Input -> Keyboard.

Then set "Auto Capitalize" to on. That's my Android procedure. Should be close if you have an iPhone.
i have a flip phone ala star trek --you're not surprised by this are u?:)

boeheim retires the first season a coach is found. what is the difference between a coach who is announcing his retirement at the end of season,or is fired at the end of the season and the situation we r in? all we have done at this point is create more chaos by extending jb. contrary to what most people think, it stabilized nothing. and created more instability and questions.just my ho.we have taken what most schools see as a routine situation and added unecessary drama to it.
How do you know that isn't what they're doing?

I don't see the instability or drama. At all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom