Poll: for/against move to ACC | Syracusefan.com

Poll: for/against move to ACC

are you for or against the move to the ACC?

• For

Votes: 95 83.3%
  • Against

Votes: 19 16.7%

• Total voters

armory

All American
Just thought it would be interesting to see some numbers

I just can not see how anyone intelligently can say this is a bad move in the whole realm of things. Strip down the emotional aspect of it and objectively it's a no brainer...I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority who are against this move, probably also thought...why do I need a computer, I'm perfectly efficient & organized doing everything by hand... :bat:

I just can not see how anyone intelligently can say this is a bad move in the whole realm of things. Strip down the emotional aspect of it and objectively it's a no brainer...I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority who are against this move, probably also thought...why do I need a computer, I'm perfectly efficient & organized doing everything by hand... :bat:
At a minimum the conference has vastly better leadership. The whole mix of football non-football was irritating and the BE hoop league was just unwieldy (granted, very good). I don't see the BE surviving with the football schools in tow. The deal sealer to me was in Marinatto's statement about how all the remaining BE schools have pledged to stay together. His statement started with "we had a conference call with all the non-football playing schools..." Should have just stopped right there. If I am a football school I'm, wondering what the heck else was discussed on that call? If Marinatto had 1/2 a brain he'd give up the ship and just turn the Big East into an all sports but football league as is ultimately unavoidable.

with all the people 'against' the move in the other thread... i'm a bit surprised at the lopsided results so far. are people just quietly happy, loudly bitter?

Do keep in mind that there's a lot of gray area in here: one can be "for" the move and still rather unhappy with the move.
I get that. I contemplated a 3rd option, but realized that of course everyone will have some reservations about the change but ultimately you have a feeling of "i wish we stayed in the big east" or "this is for the best". I see a lot of complaints about the change, but feel like those same people still think it was the right move. Forums tend to bring out a lot of people's antagonist.

Do keep in mind that there's a lot of gray area in here: one can be "for" the move and still rather unhappy with the move.

Exactly. I voted 'against,' because 1) I hate the ACC with the white hot passion of a thousand suns; 2) I love the Big East, our tradition/history/foundership. But, the question is too vague to elicit meaningful responses.
I'm against it but favor it because it seems to be inevitable/necessary.

Almost feels like saying 'I voted for the war before i voted against it.'

OK, I realize all of the very good reasons to join another league, and I am really looking forward to hating Duke, but I have been to every BET since the beginning. The three OT game at the inception was probably even more exciting than the 5 OT game v. UCONN. I really hope Georgetown remains a fixture on the schedule no matter how terrible they become. I voted no with my heart, my head knows why they they need to make the move. Personally I have felt for several years that if SU were to jump conferences it would be to the Big 10, at least renewing the Football rivalry with Penn State. Look, I'll bleed Orange until I'm dead, no matter the league, the players, or the situation. I know for a fact that no arena will replace MSG for a Conference final, but hey we had to move or risk becoming a bit player in the world of college sports.

By the way for younger fans, the regional final in the 74-65 season I think that was the year) with Roy's Runts v. a heavily favored UNC team is also one of the truly great SU hoops moments of all time, so we do have some history for us old timers to look back on.

Yep, that's it. I am one of the few "against" votes so far as I hate it, but I realize it had to be done.

As previously mentioned, its not a clear-cut yes or no answer.

Every SU buddy who's contacted me is torn about this move. Giving up the BET being the biggest "regret".

However, we're no longer on shaky ground and as JB said, its not like we're going to a CYO basketball conference- Duke vs SU, or UNC vs Pitt are the best of the best in CBB. Add UConn to that mix & we're really in business!
Tell me who won't be watching those match-ups when they come on? How about silencing those Dookies in Cameron Indoor w/ a Cooney dagger 3-ball?

Yes, nostalgia is good, but the future will likely be GREAT. ;)

Strip down the emotional aspect of it and objectively it's a no brainer...I
Without emotion there's no need for sports. Fan = fanatic

This was not a 'sports' decision...it was a 'business' one.
That's what makes it so tough for fans. Sports are a form of escapism. We get worked up about traditions and rivalries and we cheer as if this stuff were more important than life itself. Then along comes reality to say, "The bottom line is what drives the whole thing." Who cheers for balance sheets except accountants?

I'm with OrangeOnions its a no brainer but certainly there are regrets! I just watched the OTs of the 6OT game at MSG with my 4 month old son (my only male offspring, the girls all ready know that a number 2 is a Hoya and that we love SU and the BE, BTW no he was not very attentive) and he will never know the bball powerhouse that was the BE or understand when I talk about games @ Prov or the Hall that I had to LISTEN to on the radio when I wasa kid because it wasn't on TV. I love my son but I feel badly that he will undoubtedly grow up an ACC fan and wonder why his faather is not completely sold.

I think the ACC should think of adding Nova(basketball only) and Uconn.

Uconn is a hot household name as much as I hate them. Sportcenter runs out of there last I checked.
Nova owns the philly market especially as a basktball recruiting hotbed and with DC the best recruiting area in the country. Temple isn't showing up anytime soon do they really lose money adding a basketball only school.

It also helps to show more of a presence in the northeast.
Syracuse brings NYC. Pitt and Boston. Why not add Philly and Uconn to?

I think the ACC should think of adding Nova(basketball only) and Uconn.

Uconn is a hot household name as much as I hate them. Sportcenter runs out of there last I checked.
Nova owns the philly market especially as a basktball recruiting hotbed and with DC the best recruiting area in the country. Temple isn't showing up anytime soon do they really lose money adding a basketball only school.

It also helps to show more of a presence in the northeast.
Syracuse brings NYC. Pitt and Boston. Why not add Philly and Uconn to?

Why on Earth would you want to start inviting the same problems that plagued the league the last time?

Won't happen. ACC charter requires schools to be in FBS to be a member of ACC.

Won't happen. ACC charter requires schools to be in FBS to be a member of ACC.

This is very good thing! I loved the original BE but that time has past and I never want a bball only school to be able to cast a vote that effects SU football ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom