Polls (Sept 15) AP T-27 / Coaches 30 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (Sept 15) AP T-27 / Coaches 30

Win impressively Friday and we will certainly be ranked for UNLV
I think There’s only two teams behind us in AP that could pass us this week. If BC has a big win over Michigan State. (and we struggle, but win) The other team behind us that looks like they could make a big impact is if Georgia Tech beats Louisville. Somehow Georgia Tech received zero votes in either poll! Rooting hard for them against Louisville. I don’t think the Boise or UNLV Games are enough to move the needle to pass us if we win vs P4.

#26 Memphis, (one ahead of us) plays Navy and If we both have impressive wins, we should leapfrog them.

Number 22 plays number 24, (Illinois and Nebraska) so one of those will drop out. So if we win impressively, I think we should be in.

also Michigan could lose to USC at home and potentially drop out.

Don’t see too many other potential upsets between 15 and 25 but certainly one could happen.

Right.

I know I got corrected on this in a previous thread, but the Missouri / BC game is a good example if the bias.

If Missouri had played that game against a lower half SEC team, the other team would likely have garnered votes to move near the Top 25. ACC team gets downgraded.
Florida State was giving both Georgia Tech and Boston College a lot of rankings helium...

Now that it appears Florida State isn't just "not good" but "terrible" the rankings are adjusting the teams that beat them downward.

Seems fair to me.

Had we recovered the onside kick and beat Ga Tech 38-21 or 45-21... score lines more indicative of the non special teams dominance.. we'd have probably been rank this week and last. 31-28 tells a much different story to those that only check final scores vs what actually transpired. Shame on us but we'll learn from it and improve

Florida State was giving both Georgia Tech and Boston College a lot of rankings helium...

Now that it appears Florida State isn't just "not good" but "terrible" the rankings are adjusting the teams that beat them downward.

Seems fair to me.
I guess I’ve stated my case for the perception bias in favor of SEC and B1G teams as well as I can. I remain convinced. But I will drop the argument.

It’s all how teams start the season ranked. (And bias). If BC started the season ranked number seven, beat Florida State on the road, and then played number six to a six point game on the road, they would still be top 15.

If Tennessee or Oklahoma went to Missouri and lost by six they would only move down a few spots maybe. it is too early to tell how good some of these teams really are but certainly the anti-ACC bias is real.

based on what they’ve done on the field, I think BC deserves to be somewhere between 20 to 25, even though I don’t think they are really that good.

Isn't Missouri where Emily went to school? Clearly her heart is there. Less interest in where she is. I'm surprised she's being so obvious about it. And what's with her and Arizona? Rates them #20 and no one else has them higher than #23. Dino?
I believe she did go to school there. I'm not surprised at the bias. It seems like sports journalists let there colors fly now more than ever. It's the cool thing to do. I first noticed it with Stuart Scott and UNC.

I just think it’s a sham that Emily dropped us out after a bye week when she had us 25 before?

But also she ranks Missouri really high?????

Wish she would be a homer for the area that she’s currently covering……
I'm fed up with her.

A team ranked 20-25 who loses on the road to a top 5 or 10 team but keeps it close should not fall in the rankings. You could even make the argument that if Mizzou is truly 6th, then maybe BC is top 10. It matters who you lose to, by how much and where. Or at least it should. Another example, Kentucky should be viewed a lot more favorably this week after losing by 1 at home to Georgia.

I am rooting for this to happen in regular season:
SU 0 loss.
Miami 1 loss.
Cal 2 losses.
Pittsburgh 3 losses.
SU and Miami go to ACC championship game. If SU loses, then both teams will have one loss. All four teams are considered to get a playoff spot. To have this happen, the four teams cannot lose any game to outside the four team circle. Miami, Cal and Pittsburgh will play Clemson and Florida State a lot. I like to see them do all the heavy lifting.

She's originally from Lynnwood Washington which is near Seattle. I wonder if she rooted for the University of Washington growing up and that is another team she'd be more partial to than The Orange. (Interesting that she includes in her bio that she covered college football seasons that "featured coach firings and departures".)

I was trying to figure out why the math didn't work on total votes, but then realized that this particular link doesn't show that we received a #19 vote from Brian Howell.

Last week, we had Top 25 votes from 27 different people. This week, down to 15 people, but some of the rankings were better. So we're at least on the radar of more voters. Friday night against Stanford will get more attention that Boise against Portland St. Illinois-Nebraska loser drops out. Michigan may drop right out. Memphis @ Navy isn't easy. Win and we could be back in.

Emily dropping Arizona from 19 to only 20 is a little weird. Scored on their first drive, never again, lost 31-7. I think she turned the game off at halftime and forgot to go back and check the score.

Last edited:
IMG_1373.jpeg

Isn't Missouri where Emily went to school? Clearly her heart is there. Less interest in where she is. I'm surprised she's being so obvious about it. And what's with her and Arizona? Rates them #20 and no one else has them higher than #23. Dino?
Third highest ranking for her Alma mater(with many others), lowest for the team she covers(with many others).

Not over the top, but duly noted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom