Porter's Lack of LAX IQ | Syracusefan.com

Porter's Lack of LAX IQ

If you are ups 2 or 3 goals with a couple of minutes to go, and you make a stop, why are you hurrying to start a break??? Take your time so you don't turn it over. Just brain-dead.
Turning point!

You both really think that was the turning point? I’ve followed along and not commented on this board for years and this made me want to comment. No chance you can argue with the way he played today and put any part of that loss on him...

I think you would be hard pressed in this day and age to find any athletes who show IQ at any level in any sport with in game management.. They are few and far between.

I think you would be hard pressed in this day and age to find any athletes who show IQ at any level in any sport with in game management.. They are few and far between.

I’m sorry. Terrible take.

Porters been great all year but that was an awful sequence. First after Solomons bad turnover, SU deflects the ball and Porter ends up upfield to scoop an easy GB. Instead he pouches it forward and it ends up with UNC. Then about 25 seconds later he makes a nice save but gets his passed tip and you know the rest. No ones blaming him for the loss but it wasn't his best game and that sequence opened the door.

I’m sorry. Terrible take.
really?

what sports do you watch. pro baseball players have no clue where they are supposed to be on the field and how to run bases.. how many soccer goals are a result of bad overlap on D?

just watch SU BBall. why is JB so upset so often as guys are in the wrong spot on D. Thats IQ too.. just as much as when to run a fast break and when to slow it down.

society in sports is way more about being athletic than about playing the sport.. Fball is the best case for this.. lets get bigger faster guys who run around out of position.. There is a reason some marginally athletic guys play forever in the NFL because they have Fball IQ.

I prefer to clear fast, get the ball up and out before the defense can set up their ride. For many kids that becomes muscle memory, he's thinking clear the ball out, not slow it down. Even if he did slow it down to set up a clear and allow UNC to set up their ride nothing is guaranteed we would have even cleared it, we weren't perfect on the day to begin with.

The players who should be slowing things down and chewing clock are the offensive players.

Talk about IQ I'm not sure what was up with some of our shot selection in the last few minutes.

Last edited:
I prefer to clear fast, get the ball up and out before the defense can set up their ride. For many kids that becomes muscle memory, he's thinking clear the ball out, not slow it down. Even if he did slow it down to set up a clear and allow UNC to set up their ride nothing is guaranteed we would have even cleared it, we weren't perfect on the day to begin with.

The players who should be slowing things down and chewing clock are the offensive players.

Talk about IQ I'm not sure what was up with some of our shot selection in the last few minutes.

People complained for years that we never looked to push tempo. Go figure.

Porters been great, I think while people are upset about that turnover on the clear the more glaring one was that scoop he had wide open about 30 seconds before that he failed to pick up and it ended back with UNC. That really hurt.

I'll live and die with pushing tempo. I think it's stupid to let a team set up their ride.

It was lucky they tipped that ball. Kids stand in front of the goal and put their sticks up 100x and their lucky to get one tip. It's such a low percentage play you're better having your attackman bust their @sses to lock on and get in the ride so the defense can't beat you over the top.

I frankly think it's lazy play by attackmen and they just happened to get lucky.

Last edited:
Porters been great, I think while people are upset about that turnover on the clear the more glaring one was that scoop he had wide open about 30 seconds before that he failed to pick up and it ended back with UNC. That really hurt.

I'm upset we got FOGO'd by Tucci to tie the game up.

That can never happen.

I'm drawing a blank on this play. I must have thought it insignificant to not remember. I'll have to go back and watch.

It's hard to pick on him for a play at the end though. (the tip is just bunk and the post to start this thread is idiotic). Porter did his primary job imo which is to stop shots and keep us in the game. He stole 2 from UNC in the 4thQ that I think should be goals 100% of time. So while he leaves one on the table he also took a couple off it.

I'm upset we got FOGO'd by Tucci to tie the game up.

That can never happen.

SU is usually pretty good with that to, Shades of that ND game a few years ago when there FOGO a non scoring guy did that to us to. Someone needed to cut him off there. Phaup looked beat by that point and we just didn't have anyone to go to as Varello was a total mess last night. That last 5 minutes was a breakdown everywhere.

I'm drawing a blank on this play. I must have thought it insignificant to not remember. I'll have to go back and watch.

It's hard to pick on him for a play at the end though. (the tip is just bunk and the post to start this thread is idiotic). Porter did his primary job imo which is to stop shots and keep us in the game. He stole 2 from UNC in the 4thQ that I think should be goals 100% of time. So while he leaves one on the table he also took a couple off it.

Ya he's been really good all year which is why two bad or at least not great plays in a row by him were really surprising. When you get a chance to watch the replay you will see what I am talking about with that GB scoop, it was the more glaring one for me. A play Porter has made really 100% of the time.

With everything else that went wrong, I think Porter's play in this game is WAAAAAY down the list of causes contributing to this loss. Just MO.

With everything else that went wrong, I think Porter's play in this game is WAAAAAY down the list of causes contributing to this loss. Just MO.

Agreed but I think people are talking more about (or at least I am) that last sequence where a bunch of stuff went wrong for SU and unfortunately he was right in the middle. Can't imagine anyone is blaming him for the loss.

Agreed but I think people are talking more about (or at least I am) that last sequence where a bunch of stuff went wrong for SU and unfortunately he was right in the middle. Can't imagine anyone is blaming him for the loss.
I was absolutely not blaming him for the loss. He has stood on his head to make saves multiple times this season. He had some great saves in this game as well. Unfortunately that crazy series of events had him right in the middle. Had he picked up the groundball or made the clear then we're having a discussion on this forum.

I was absolutely not blaming him for the loss. He has stood on his head to make saves multiple times this season. He had some great saves in this game as well. Unfortunately that crazy series of events had him right in the middle. Had he picked up the groundball or made the clear then we're having a discussion on this forum.

Agree 100%. SU doesn't turn it over that third time and I can almost guarantee we win.

I don't have an issue with comments on this thread - it was a tough loss and Cuse seemed to lose their poise.
I do have a MAJOR problem with the thread title - no title should refer to any player's lack of lacrosse IQ.

There are arguments for and against Porter's decisions - I would leave that for coaches to assess. Clearly the team needs to work on late game strategies for handling these situations. Generally, you don't want your goalie making plays surrounded by UNC players.

Up 3, 4:00 to go. Porter makes the save. NC crowding the crease. Porter tries going over the top, but short, to start the clear but it gets tipped and we turn it over. They score on the resulting possession and it is 10-8. Then, they win the next two face-offs and score both times to tie it at 10...

If we are able to clear, we are able to bring clock down to about 2:40 with a 3 goal lead...

As for the OP, by now we should all know what OIB is all about. He posted after the ND game to say Desko should be fired. Then he disappears for the 4 Ws and then shows up again right after the NC loss.

That is his MO. Show up after loss, post that it is time for a change and then disappear back under his rock when we win. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Reactions: cto
really?

what sports do you watch. pro baseball players have no clue where they are supposed to be on the field and how to run bases.. how many soccer goals are a result of bad overlap on D?

just watch SU BBall. why is JB so upset so often as guys are in the wrong spot on D. Thats IQ too.. just as much as when to run a fast break and when to slow it down.

society in sports is way more about being athletic than about playing the sport.. Fball is the best case for this.. lets get bigger faster guys who run around out of position.. There is a reason some marginally athletic guys play forever in the NFL because they have Fball IQ.
I'm just curious. What is a bad overlap on D? I've never heard that term before when it comes to soccer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom