Possible new coaches | Syracusefan.com

Possible new coaches

OrangeFast

Walk On
I think that Babers has proven that he is ok with going outside of the family. His last 3 offensive hires have been outside of his system. My vote for qb/ co oc is Brian wright from Toledo. I would like to hear othe peoples thoughts.

Sterlin Gilbert is another. I am not sure if he would want to come here or not.

Sterlin Gilbert is another. I am not sure if he would want to come here or not.
Gilbert was Dino's first OC. He is currently the OC at USF, and is only making $100K. If he comes, he will probably want to take OL coach Matt Mattox with him. They have been paired together for a long time, starting on Dino's first staff. Mattox and Gilbert were actually co-OCs under Babers.

As best I can tell, USF fans were not happy with Gilbert's play calling this season and thought the offense took a step back from 2016.

Breakdown of USF Football Assistant Coaches Pool

Gilbert was Dino's first OC. He is currently the OC at USF, and is only making $100K. If he comes, he will probably want to take OL coach Matt Mattox with him. They have been paired together for a long time, starting on Dino's first staff. Mattox and Gilbert were actually co-OCs under Babers.

As best I can tell, USF fans were not happy with Gilbert's play calling this season and thought the offense took a step back from 2016.

Co-offensive coordinator with Lynch? Move Lynch to a different position? It's an interesting scenario, but it seems like the who's still here would lose out.

If USF fans were not happy with his play calling, why would we want him here?

If USF fans were not happy with his play calling, why would we want him here?

Umm, for a lot of reasons? USF fans might not know what they are talking about, saying USF were unhappy with him may only cover 20% of the fans, he might have been handcuffed in how he wanted to call the offense, there might have been other mitigating factors that led to how his offense was perceived.

DB isn’t going to let anyone come in and just destroy the offense.

Maybe Greene as LB coach? I think on offense they need to bring in someone who can help get the run game going.

Umm, for a lot of reasons? USF fans might not know what they are talking about, saying USF were unhappy with him may only cover 20% of the fans, he might have been handcuffed in how he wanted to call the offense, there might have been other mitigating factors that led to how his offense was perceived.

DB isn’t going to let anyone come in and just destroy the offense.

You don’t think fans should decide who gets hired to run our offense instead of Dino??

For the record UT fans weren’t a big fan of Gilbert either... he was Strong’s OC his last year in Austin and I believe UT gave him a guaranteed $500k a year for 3 years so that might explain why USF only had to pay him $100k. I personally thought Gilbert’s playcalling was pretty suspect... he didn’t do
anything to set up future plays, was extremely predictable, didn’t really adapt to the game conditions, etc. Basically Gilbert adds nothing new and our offense would have the same flaws it does today with him and I don’t think Gilbert has much of a recruiting presence outside of Texas so
I would pass.

For the record UT fans weren’t a big fan of Gilbert either... he was Strong’s OC his last year in Austin and I believe UT gave him a guaranteed $500k a year for 3 years so that might explain why USF only had to pay him $100k. I personally thought Gilbert’s playcalling was pretty suspect... he didn’t do
anything to set up future plays, was extremely predictable, didn’t really adapt to the game conditions, etc. Basically Gilbert adds nothing new and our offense would have the same flaws it does today with him and I don’t think Gilbert has much of a recruiting presence outside of Texas so
I would pass.
Agreed. I want strong east coast or florida ties

Watching this USF game - I would like to stay away from Gilbert.

Watching this USF game - I would like to stay away from Gilbert.

I didn’t see the game and I know Tech has a crap defense but 560 yards and 38 points sounds pretty good. What was that you didn’t like? Just curious, not starting an argument.

I didn’t see the game and I know Tech has a crap defense but 560 yards and 38 points sounds pretty good. What was that you didn’t like? Just curious, not starting an argument.

Their play calling at the goal line/red zone left much to be desired. Got stuffed consecutive times on 3rd and 4th and short two straight possession. Meanwhile they had the most dynamic guy on the field at QB.

Plus Texas Tech’s defense is not very good.

I feel like it will be a big hire like Gilbert. He said he wants to be better coming out tham going in. He is going to want to win big this season. I don't see him hiring someone that needs to learn or is far off what he currently have. I almost think it has to be Gilbert.

Gilbert has been OC/QB coach at 6 schools in 7 years. It's probably fair to say that much of that could be related to what HC's see in him talent wise. So a plus. What has he done with his QBs though? Anyone familiar with his skills there? I think his offense philosophy would be folded into/synch with HCDFB's offense philosophy, which would probably be seamless given their prior ties. I am more concerned about how well he will teach up our young QB talent.

How does Dino not go out and get Kendal Briles...ran Baylor’s offense for years, went to FAU with Kiffin and will have Texas and Florida connections. Well known as one of the premier recruiters in the country!

I think that Babers has proven that he is ok with going outside of the family. His last 3 offensive hires have been outside of his system. My vote for qb/ co oc is Brian wright from Toledo. I would like to hear othe peoples thoughts.

I'm not so sure about that. I remember when he hired hart- he said he prefers guys who have been in the up tempo offense simply because it takes 1-2 years to adjust.

For me as long as it's not someone coaching oline for the first time I would say get the best recruiter that can fit your style.

How does Dino not go out and get Kendal Briles...ran Baylor’s offense for years, went to FAU with Kiffin and will have Texas and Florida connections. Well known as one of the premier recruiters in the country!
Keeping in the Christmas spirit, I wouldn't touch either Briles with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Um, no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom