Possible new coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Possible new coaches

I mentioned elsewhere I think Jim Panangos, currently with Temple and formerly of RU and UCf would be a very good get. Good recruiting connections in NJ and Florida and probably Maryland. Would have to be some movement with the positions since he has coached DL in the past. Would also like a good Ohio recruiter, as Cincy had a very good class, mostly built on Ohio guys OSU passed on.

Gilberts would be the home run, very very good qb coach and excellent recruiter. What he did with Shane Buchelle as a true freshman at Texas is illustrative of his ability as a coach. From what I've seen he's the most aggressive play caller from the Briles tree. Someone mentioned Jeff Lebby in another thread, would also be a strong hire. Kendall Briles is definitely a long shot but setting the baggage aside would be a great hire...however, that's not how this whole thing works is it?

Their play calling at the goal line/red zone left much to be desired. Got stuffed consecutive times on 3rd and 4th and short two straight possession. Meanwhile they had the most dynamic guy on the field at QB.

Plus Texas Tech’s defense is not very good.
I saw USF go up and down the field. They should have scored 50. Those two 4th down redzone stops were on plays that were high percentage plays for them. They were read plays where the QB didnt make the best decision. It was more Tech making good plays, not bad play calling.

Last edited:
So we have two assistant coaches, two GA, and assistant s and c position open

I mentioned elsewhere I think Jim Panangos, currently with Temple and formerly of RU and UCf would be a very good get. Good recruiting connections in NJ and Florida and probably Maryland. Would have to be some movement with the positions since he has coached DL in the past. Would also like a good Ohio recruiter, as Cincy had a very good class, mostly built on Ohio guys OSU passed on.

Yes Ohio is a PRIME recruiting area and one we need to establish some roots in...a coach with Ohio ties would be HUGE for this program

Yes Ohio is a PRIME recruiting area and one we need to establish some roots in...a coach with Ohio ties would be HUGE for this program
Midwest isn't worth it, too much competition with the B1G schools and the roots are so deep that any kid that gets a power offer is gone in a heartbeat. Rare we'll beat a top tier B1G team straight up. Beau Benzschawel is a prime example.

We need to grab kids when we're not competing against OSU/UM/Sparty. A coach with Ohio recruiting connections isn't a huge help, IMO. We already have guys that can go out there if there's a kid we like.

Midwest isn't worth it, too much competition with the B1G schools and the roots are so deep that any kid that gets a power offer is gone in a heartbeat. Rare we'll beat a top tier B1G team straight up. Beau Benzschawel is a prime example.

We need to grab kids when we're not competing against OSU/UM/Sparty. A coach with Ohio recruiting connections isn't a huge help, IMO. We already have guys that can go out there if there's a kid we like.
Do you think the kids have deeper roots than the southern kids or are there just better leftovers in the south for us to grab after the factories have their pick?

Both. There is a newness for a southern kid to head east, not so much for a kid from Ohio. Also there are just so many more kids from the south and SU has a strong Alumni presence in Florida. Not so much in the Midwest. I hope we get a few guys with strong Atlantic region connections.

I think there is plenty of talent in OH not going to top tier BiG team. Just off the top of my head there are the Kelce brothers, Kareem Hunt, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Mihalik (Tackle for the Lions...went to BC and from a Cleveland suburban H.S.). That’s just Northeastern OH talent in the NFL not coming from OSU/Michigan. You see some guys going to West Virginia from around here too. Pitt as well.

Last edited:
Both. There is a newness for a southern kid to head east, not so much for a kid from Ohio. Also there are just so many more kids from the south and SU has a strong Alumni presence in Florida. Not so much in the Midwest. I hope we get a few guys with strong Atlantic region connections.
Are they heading east or north? The south is in the east too. ;)

I think there is plenty of talent in OH not going to top tier BiG team. Just off the top of my head there are the Kelce brothers, Kareem Hunt, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Mihalik (Tackle for the Lions...went to BC and from a Cleveland suburban H.S.). That’s just Northeastern OH talent in the NFL not coming from OSU/Michigan. You see some guys going to West Virginia from around here too.
That's my point. We've always been able to land the tier two guys without the big offers with our current connections. That's why I don't think we need to have a dedicated midwest recruiter.

Do you think the kids have deeper roots than the southern kids or are there just better leftovers in the south for us to grab after the factories have their pick?
Think there's better leftovers in the south for sure, especially when you're looking for speed.

Depends on which definition you use. For census Florida is the South. NY is recognized two primary ways. East and North.
Are they heading east or north? The south is in the east too. ;)

Wouldnt mind continuity at Cass Tech/Detroit and an added presence in Illinois/Missouri/Indiana. States we can win in.

The Scoop - Sunday December 24, 2017 - FootballScoop

Syracuse:
Syracuse football has two offensive graduate assistant positions open. We are specifically looking for candidates with either quarterback or offensive line experience. Applicants should send their resume, cover letter, and references to cusefootball2018@gmail.com (please no calls). Bachelor’s degree is required and candidates must have the academic background to be admitted into a graduate program at Syracuse University.

Cant give up on a prime area, we have gotten a lot of talent out of Ohio in our history, imagine if we actually put some effort into the region...yes its not Florida or Texas but there is a lot of quality players in the midwest......

FWIW Cincinnati had the highest ranked recruiting (Higher than USF and UCF and right around us in the rankings) class of the group of 5 schools on both of the major recruiting sites and these were mostly Ohio guys.

Last edited:
I think there is plenty of talent in OH not going to top tier BiG team. Just off the top of my head there are the Kelce brothers, Kareem Hunt, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Mihalik (Tackle for the Lions...went to BC and from a Cleveland suburban H.S.). That’s just Northeastern OH talent in the NFL not coming from OSU/Michigan. You see some guys going to West Virginia from around here too.
Good point, but, to me, the BC example doesn't work. BC has always had a built-in edge with kids at Catholic high schools. There is family, peer, and church pressure to go to a Catholic college, and ND can't take them all.

Good point, but, to me, the BC example doesn't work. BC has always had a built-in edge with kids at Catholic high schools. There is family, peer, and church pressure to go to a Catholic college, and ND can't take them all.

That is true re: BC but in this specific example I chose Mihalik because he went to Avon H.S., a public school on the far west side of CLE.

That is true re: BC but in this specific example I chose Mihalik because he went to Avon H.S., a public school on the far west side of CLE.
I would guess that his cultural background is Catholic.

Cant give up on a prime area, we have gotten a lot of talent out of Ohio in our history, imagine if we actually put some effort into the region...yes its not Florida or Texas but there is a lot of quality players in the midwest...
I didn't say give up. We already have the connections and are putting in appropriate effort. Just no need to add more focus when we'd be better served with a bigger presence in the south/tidewater/dmv areas.

I don't think it is fair to cite Beau Benzschawel as an example period, let alone a prime example. Benzschawel was a Wisconsin legacy recruit. The second Wisconsin beckoned, he was going. Had he bailed on Syracuse for Michigan State or whoever else, he'd be a good example (and he very may well have, I don't know). But as it played out, he committed to Syracuse without a Wisconsin offer and flipped almost immediately after he got the offer. His father and uncle played football at UW. His grandfather was president of the alumni foundation. He grew up in Wisconsin.

Much like how everyone knew Scott Frost was going to Nebraska the second Nebraska beckoned, Syracuse had to know that Benzschawel was going to flip to Wisconsin the second Wisconsin offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom