Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I don';t think we are getting Mack
What are you hearing, not mutual interest, he’s already lined up, etc? What’s the deal with this freeman kid, looks to be some big dogs fishing for him.

What are you hearing, not mutual interest, he’s already lined up, etc? What’s the deal with this freeman kid, looks to be some big dogs fishing for him.
Freeman looks like quite a player. I'm not sure what role he would take here, but not likely a true PG. Maybe he does, though.

Freeman looks like quite a player. I'm not sure what role he would take here, but not likely a true PG. Maybe he does, though.
He looks as good as Reynolds. He had 33 and 10 against Providence this year, but it did take him 26 shots. Oakland did hold him down a bit in the games against them and he wasn't great against Colorado, but he did have a game last year where he score 19 against Purdue.

His usage rate was insanely high at 34% and he does take quite a few shots, but you would have to think he would be more efficient playing with better players. He also had quite a few games with 5 or more assists.

They might have a different list that any we are thinking about. There are 16 teams that are still playing. None of those guys are in the portal, yet.

Sure, they might.

Or they might stick to the pattern of pursuing guys they have ties to, and then trying to pivot if / when those options fall through.

Which doesn't inspire confidence about landing a "top flight" option.

We'll see.

I meant what he was hearing about mack but yes, he sure looks like a DUDE.

Me too and this year's portal activity will be extremely telling as to where we stand in the bigger picture. We are a program desperate to turn things around. We have specific needs and spots open. If we fail to land impact transfers then it's clear we have some NIL challenges.
I don't think we're poor but I don't think we have enough NIL to compete in bidding wars (which will be the case for most top end transfers). It's obvious as we've been looking at all mid major targets for point guard and center.

I don't think we're poor but I don't think we have enough NIL to compete in bidding wars (which will be the case for most top end transfers). It's obvious as we've been looking at all mid major targets for point guard and center.
Fit matters a lot. Knecht was a top 15-20 transfer but nobody expected him to basically have a POY type season. System, teammates, coaching style etc. All that is incredibly important.

Fit matters a lot. Knecht was a top 15-20 transfer but nobody expected him to basically have a POY type season. System, teammates, coaching style etc. All that is incredibly important.
Right but Tenn can go after their top targets in bidding wars. Knecht was one of their top targets in the portal.

Sure, they might.

Or they might stick to the pattern of pursuing guys they have ties to, and then trying to pivot if / when those options fall through.

Which doesn't inspire confidence about landing a "top flight" option.

We'll see.
Our list, may not be, and most probably isn't their list. Let me put it this way, there is no scenerio where JJ is the pt guard next year and Choppa is the 2. The coaches know what must be done.

Our list, may not be, and most probably isn't their list. Let me put it this way, there is no scenerio where JJ is the pt guard next year and Choppa is the 2. The coaches know what must be done.
yes but if the staff's current list isn't made available for all to see then it doesn't really exist and we're going to end up with some combination of Buss Patterson and Jalen Carey running the point

Oh, I'm not saying that it is the best / most favorable scenario.

But I could certainly foresee a scenario where a "top flight" PG doesn't end up being available to us [for insert the reason here], so Choppa is better than any backcourt option we add through the portal. And to play the best 5 players, Choppa ends up in the starting lineup.

Nobody has beat the "we need a legitimate, superior lead guard option who's better than Judah at facilitating the offense" drum harder than I have this entire season. Whether we fill this gap -- and who we fill it with -- will be the biggest determinant of how good we'll be next season, IMO.

I just don’t understand why our NIL is behind GTown, Nova and UConn. I get being behind Texas but c’mon, we have a massive fanbase and rich alums. Let’s get it together.

I just don’t understand why our NIL is behind GTown, Nova and UConn. I get being behind Texas but c’mon, we have a massive fanbase and rich alums. Let’s get it together.
Being behind schools like GTOWN, Nova, Uconn wouldn’t be all that surprising or egregious on our end IMHO. they’re basketball first and foremost schools, their boosters and nil opportunities look at basketball first, and foremost.

If you don’t come up with NIL, you can forget about winning championships. UCONN picked up two major pieces this year and without them, they wouldn’t even be talked about. It’s the new game. You better come up with the money or accept being just a twenty win team. Older teams are winning, not great recruiting classes. Ask Kentucky how that worked out? What has Duke done lately with their talented freshman.

Say we have 2.5 million next year...How does it break down?

400 for Maliq, 300 for Bell and JJ?

200 for Westry and Freeman.

100 for Moore, Cuffe and Patterson?

Do we have 800K to spend on two players? More/Less?

I think some may exaggerate that we don't have enough money. I'm not saying we are an SEC school, but fit is going to be important. Really curious what UConn ended up paying Cam Spencer and Creighton ended up paying Steven Ashworth. People are going to fall in love with the transfer portal rankings, but if you look at last years the success was all over the place.

Say we have 2.5 million next year...How does it break down?

400 for Maliq, 300 for Bell and JJ?

200 for Westry and Freeman.

100 for Moore, Cuffe and Patterson?

Do we have 800K to spend on two players? More/Less?

I think some may exaggerate that we don't have enough money. I'm not saying we are an SEC school, but fit is going to be important. Really curious what UConn ended up paying Cam Spencer and Creighton ended up paying Steven Ashworth. People are going to fall in love with the transfer portal rankings, but if you look at last years the success was all over the place.

And its also relevant to point out that some players might [emphasis on: "might"] be willing to take slightly less than market value NIL to be a part of a winning program's roster. Same as free agency.