Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

The European, and Australian players at a young age join Club teams for coaching, and training. That's why their players Men and Women are fundamentally sound.
Absolutely, we have great athletes. The very best know how to play, but after that, it's a crap shoot. Eventually, people will value good basketball over the one on one BS and they will start teaching fundamentals and valuing team basketball. Until then, we are stuck with what we see now. Good coaches teach guys how to play, the bad ones just march their athletes out and let them figure it out.

Here’s my list in order:
1. Senior
2. Ok being Role player off bench
3. Defense
4. 3 point shooting / facilitator

I don’t care if a guy can shoot 45% from 3 if he’s the weak link on defense it’s not worth it. Autry also shouldn’t be promising a starting spot.

Here’s random lineups. Just spitballing.

Best 5 players on court:
1-JJ
2-Q
3-Bell
4-Freeman
5-Brown

Traditional:
1-Portal PG
2-Moore/Cuffe
3-Westry
4-Brown
5-McLeod / Portal Center

Here’s my list in order:
1. Senior
2. Ok being Role player off bench
3. Defense
4. 3 point shooting / facilitator

I don’t care if a guy can shoot 45% from 3 if he’s the weak link on defense it’s not worth it. Autry also shouldn’t be promising a starting spot.

Here’s random lineups. Just spitballing.

Best 5 players on court:
1-JJ
2-Q
3-Bell
4-Freeman
5-Brown

Traditional:
1-Portal PG
2-Moore/Cuffe
3-Westry
4-Brown
5-McLeod / Portal Center
Yeah, that Best 5 on court sucks. Freeman is the best shooter by a LONG way. And, who knows if he can do it at this level. Portal is where it's at. Your "Best 5 on court" is the baseline, we can't settle for that. We need some upperclassmen for leadership.

Yeah, that Best 5 on court sucks. Freeman is the best shooter by a LONG way. And, who knows if he can do it at this level. Portal is where it's at. Your "Best 5 on court" is the baseline, we can't settle for that. We need some upperclassmen for leadership.
Donnie Freeman? A better shooter than Bell and Starling? By a "LONG" way?!!?!

Donnie Freeman? A better shooter than Bell and Starling? By a "LONG" way?!!?!
Better than JJ, at this point…without a doubt. Not better than Bell, I missed that. JJ can be a lot better than he is right now, but he has that hitch.

Better than JJ, at this point…without a doubt. Not better than Bell, I missed that. JJ can be a lot better than he is right now, but he has that hitch.
Regardless of the hitch, JJ is shooting 36% from 3 in conference play. Donnie is shooting 28% from 3 in league play. Right now Bell and Starling are way better shooters than Donnie and its not even close. Some of you guys need to temper expectations for Donnie. With that being said, he does have massive potential but he still needs work. If Maliq is back and playing the four Donnie is 100% coming off the bench.

How many you trying to get from the portal?

More than half of the roster is filled with transfers from the 2023 cycle at NC State, Arizona State, Memphis and UCF. None are remotely close to the Big Dance bubble.

How many you trying to get from the portal?

More than half of the roster is filled with transfers from the 2023 cycle at NC State, Arizona State, Memphis and UCF. None are remotely close to the Big Dance bubble.
I want 2 from the portal.

Regardless of the hitch, JJ is shooting 36% from 3 in conference play. Donnie is shooting 28% from 3 in league play. Right now Bell and Starling are way better shooters than Donnie and its not even close. Some of you guys need to temper expectations for Donnie. With that being said, he does have massive potential but he still needs work. If Maliq is back and playing the four Donnie is 100% coming off the bench.
JJ’s shot is thankfully dropping at 36% in conference play at a low volume. His shot was much better in high school. Hopefully, he gets it fixed. Donnie has a nice looking shot. Hopefully, he doesn’t lose it.

JJ’s shot is thankfully dropping at 36% in conference play at a low volume. His shot was much better in high school. Hopefully, he gets it fixed. Donnie has a nice looking shot. Hopefully, he doesn’t lose it.
What are you talking about? JJ is averaging over 5 attempts a game. Just because Donnie's shot looks better doesn't mean he's a better shooter.

I think you mean Choppa Moore, not Freeman, who’s known as a great shooter in high school.

I think you mean Choppa Moore, not Freeman, who’s known as a great shooter in high school.
Choppa is a great shooter. Freeman is a good shooter and he’s getting better. We drastically need both of them. They will be freshmen though, so we’ll see how they transition.

What are you talking about? JJ is averaging over 5 attempts a game. Just because Donnie's shot looks better doesn't mean he's a better shooter.
JJ shoots just over 4 per game and makes under 1.5 per game. I don’t consider that volume.

JJ shoots just over 4 per game and makes under 1.5 per game. I don’t consider that volume.
I'm talking about conference play where he makes about 2 a game on around 5 attempts. How can you argue that somebody that shoots 28% at the high school level is a better shooter than somebody who is shooting 36% in the ACC.

I'm talking about conference play where he makes about 2 a game on around 5 attempts. How can you argue that somebody that shoots 28% at the high school level is a better shooter than somebody who is shooting 36% in the ACC.
I’m not going to even try to cherry pick a 17 game stretch of Donnie’s games to see if it exceeds 36%. Because it doesn’t matter. JJ is improving, that’s great. But, his shot is nowhere near as good as it was. Hopefully he gets rid of the hitch before next season. His numbers will definitely improve.

I’m not going to even try to cherry pick a 17 game stretch of Donnie’s games to see if it exceeds 36%. Because it doesn’t matter. JJ is improving, that’s great. But, his shot is nowhere near as good as it was. Hopefully he gets rid of the hitch before next season. His numbers will definitely improve.
Hitch, no hitch, he can shoot the ball underhand... if he's shooting 36% he's a better shooter than a 28% shooter in high school. Donnie's improving his outside shot, but he's made 10 threes in 9 league games. The fact that you say he's a better shooter than JJ by a long way is absurd. Doesn't matter what his shot looks like.

Last edited:
Why would you move Brown from where he is successful? He is really good at the 5. As his confidence grows in his outside shot, he will be able to drag bigs out of the paint. He could become a decent pick and pop center.

What in our recent history says we can afford to sit a McD AA? Plus, he is Red’s first recruit. Red’s gonna play his guy.

Brown
Freeman
Bell
Starling
Cope/TBD

I always though Ducharme may have been a bit underrated to be honest. He averaged 18ppg in the EYBL. Not sure why he didn't play this year much, but he's more similar to Chris Bell than he is Moore. If Taylor leaves like everyone expects it might be worth replacing him with Ducharme.
If he leaves, which I doubt, we will replace with Moore and a bunch of 2025 kids. I doubt Red will bring in an underclass man and seniors or grad transfers expect to start.

Next year any returning Sophs will be upperclassman, just saying.

Lets assume that Judah is moving on, the following is all I am comfortable projecting about next years squad:
-Brown, Bell, Copeland all returning front court Juniors who will have big roles.
-JJ returning backcourt Junior who will have a big role.
-Freeman incoming front court Freshman at least 20 minutes.
-Moore incoming Freshman backcourt shooter (role?)
-Copeland returning Junior is an option in some sort of PG role.
After that its very hard to say who will be back and what their roles could be.

2 biggest needs to address IMO
1. PG (even if Q is our guy JJ is not an adequate back up, PG is not his game)
2. Center (even if Brown starts at the 5 we need options to back him up and get him some minutes at the 4)

If we bring in experienced players at those positions that can give us 25 minutes as needed then we could have good nucleus for the staff to work with while evaluating the rest of the roster.

Absolutely, we have great athletes. The very best know how to play, but after that, it's a crap shoot. Eventually, people will value good basketball over the one on one BS and they will start teaching fundamentals and valuing team basketball. Until then, we are stuck with what we see now. Good coaches teach guys how to play, the bad ones just march their athletes out and let them figure it out.

Why would you move Brown from where he is successful? He is really good at the 5. As his confidence grows in his outside shot, he will be able to drag bigs out of the paint. He could become a decent pick and pop center.

What in our recent history says we can afford to sit a McD AA? Plus, he is Red’s first recruit. Red’s gonna play his guy.

Brown
Freeman
Bell
Starling
Cope/TBD
That team struggles to rebound equally as much as we do right now. If we bring in a starting quality center you move Maliq back to his actual position. He only plays the 5 because we literally don’t have anyone else that can. How can you make the case of Freeman over Maliq at the 4? Maliq is the best defender on the team, does everything on the floor, and is going to be a junior with a ton of experience. Plus telling Maliq he’s coming off the bench risks the chance of losing him to the portal.

That team struggles to rebound equally as much as we do right now. If we bring in a starting quality center you move Maliq back to his actual position. He only plays the 5 because we literally don’t have anyone else that can. How can you make the case of Freeman over Maliq at the 4? Maliq is the best defender on the team, does everything on the floor, and is going to be a junior with a ton of experience. Plus telling Maliq he’s coming off the bench risks the chance of losing him to the portal.
He is a really good interior defender. Not sure he can guard from 15’ -20’ and in. (Not saying he can’t, just to be seen.)
No one on this team is so good that a top 24 HS senior doesn’t start.
The rotation could be a C comes in for Brown, and he moves to the 4 while Freeman sits.
Maybe Freeman slides to the 3 for a bit.
An interesting experiment for a few minutes when we go zone would be Brown at the 2G. Could give him better looks against M2M. (Not sure he can play D out there?)

He is a really good interior defender. Not sure he can guard from 15’ -20’ and in. (Not saying he can’t, just to be seen.)
No one on this team is so good that a top 24 HS senior doesn’t start.
The rotation could be a C comes in for Brown, and he moves to the 4 while Freeman sits.
Maybe Freeman slides to the 3 for a bit.
An interesting experiment for a few minutes when we go zone would be Brown at the 2G. Could give him better looks against M2M. (Not sure he can play D out there?)
Yeah you completely lost me with Brown at the 2.

I also just wanna add Donnie is ranked where he is because of his potential and what he can become with his size, length, and athleticism. His ranking means absolutely nothing the day he steps foot on campus. If you think Red guaranteed him a starting spot because he’s a McDonald’s all American you’re wrong. He needs to come and prove he can be consistent enough to be a starter. So yes, Maliq is without a doubt good enough to start over a top 24 hs player.

This will never happen. He has averaged over 32 minutes per game for the past three seasons. He also has a chance to become St Joe's all time leading scorer (Jameer Nelson) and have his number retired - one of only four retired numbers.
For the 4th most popular school in Philly? When he would play in front of more fans in one game in the dome than he did the entire season at St Joes? Not sure he's a lock to stay in this day and age.