Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I’m thinking we may get Jaquan Carlos this week. No inside info, but just a feeling I have, especially if Leffew drags his feet.
The tape on Carlos looks pretty good to me. Pure point guard with range on his jump shot, good ball handler, gets into the lane, willing distributor to his teammates, and has range out to 3.. The advantage of playing primarily man to man is that it opens up the possibility of playing smaller quicker guards. I'm assuming SU has a "transfer board" and once the Lefew decision happens if it's not SU's way, the dominoes will fall and SU will go to their next option. They may already have a player like Carlos prepped as their next option which means Plan B could happen quickly. All this is just conjecture on my part.

Right. I mean, because at the end of the day -- you're worth what someone is willing to pay you. So, if we think [I'm just making these numbers up for illustrative purposes] that Leffew is worth 250K, but another school is willing to pay 350K to induce him to play there instead of SU, then sticking to our hard line doesn't alter that his market value has shifted upwards.

We might have been initially right, but not anymore, so it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And again, I commend them not just getting swept up in the thrill of the chase, and deciding -- what the heck, let's make it 400K so we get our guy. Nah.

Seems like this strategy will only work if we can quickly land guys, or identify guys who are quality but under the radar, before other schools get involved. That seems dangerous to me.
I don't want to get into the comparing to football thing, but I think people see that we figured out a way to pay Kyle McCord and then believe it is the same for every player we want here.

McCord is an example of a bonafide superstar who clearly wanted to play for Fran and all we had to do was find the money (I'm simplifying it, of course.) I imagine if that situation arose in basketball, we would make an exception to any "no bidding war" philosophies. Leffew isn't anywhere close to the McCord situation.

Keeping in mind that I'm an idiot with a noted history of poor decision making, and my sources like my friends are imaginary, I think what's going on is similar to the phenomenon found in corporate America where companies that recruit externally for a position tend to pay higher dollar than they do to retain their own employees. Thus, the incentives are structured in a way that encouraged employees to go on the move - why get a small annual raise when leaving for a new company nets you a 10-15% increase?

Applied to the transfer portal, the "market" for talent is out of whack right now. High school players are locked in, a certain number of guys feel fine with their situation and don't want to leave, but it sure is tempting for everyone else with some level of talent to try and milk out the maximum offer they can get, which is higher than normal right now.

And in corporate America, when the new hire makes more than everybody else on the team, it often doesn't go well, even when they're an exceptional performer, because nobody that's put in the blood, sweat, and tears likes it when some sparkly new person shows up and makes bank without proving anything.

If my reading of the situation is right, Syracuse is like the company that's deciding they aren't going to play that game all the way. Yes, they'll bring talent in from outside, because they need talent and it's a viable channel. But they aren't going to overpay, and coming off the season they just did, they aren't going to risk blowing up chemistry by having new unknowns get NIL better than the guys that have already contributed to something. And that's a rough spot to be in when the NIL market is out of whack.

The one thing I do find funny is that not long sgo there was so much speculation that guys weren't really worth much more than their scholarship and NIL wouldn't equate to much. Well... we're seeing for a lot of guys that's not the case, and they're worth a whole lot more than their scholarship. Sure, the collectives have completely destroyed the ROI structures that would have given NIL some guard rails, but still, here we are.
your analysis seems legit

i guess we can just hope supply is too high

and some of these guys expecting big money dont find it...then come back down to earth...and play for SU haha

but overall gotta say i hate that this is where the sport is

i think the NCAA should find a way to level the playing field and standardize salaries

your analysis seems legit

i guess we can just hope supply is too high

and some of these guys expecting big money dont find it...then come back down to earth...and play for SU haha

but overall gotta say i hate that this is where the sport is

i think the NCAA should find a way to level the playing field and standardize salaries
Try that and those pesky anti-trust rules might be the final financial nail in the NCAA coffin.
If players are smart, they won’t unionize. They will just keep reaping the unregulated market.

Try that and those pesky anti-trust rules might be the final financial nail in the NCAA coffin.
If players are smart, they won’t unionize. They will just keep reaping the unregulated market.
theres gotta be a way to level the playing field

schools are already in the decision making process on NIL money anyway

NIL money shouldnt even be handed out like it currently is, imo

fine give players money...but regulate it and regularize it

if schools keep competing with each other for players there will be no end in sight to how high these salaries get for college players...and the system will collapse

they might as well just make it a pro league at this point...and pro leagues have rookie contracts and salary caps...so...i dont see the issue with capping/regulating player deals

IF players wanna negotiate their own NIL money or get it on their own...thats fine...

like actual NIL money...not wink wink "deals" for doing nothing from "collectives"

I just dont compute on how schools themselves are involved in giving NIL money out, upfront...while still maintaining a facade of amateurism

doesnt make sense to me in the current model

the thread of logic holding all of this together has snapped

Then what is Boeheim doing on the basketball side?
I'm not trying to throw shade on Jim, but I think his "position" was more of PR than anything else.
He’s probably doing what he was hired for which is special asst. It has fund raising as part of that job but I’m sure it’s either university or AD related.
Special assistant of what? What is he doing? I'm fine with Jim doing nothing, he deserves it after what he did for the program and school. But let's call it what it is.

I also think he’s irked by finding out compensation gaps of $100k can exist within the same title.
at a minimum these comments are incomplete, and a bit misleading in the suggestion that such gaps are of no legal or non legal concern, but I won't digress.