Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I don't know who else is out there that we can get. But I loved what I saw from Reynolds. He doesn't answer all of our needs. True. But he makes us a much better team. If it ends with him as the guy, I won't be disappointed. If it is someone else, they better be good.
Reynolds can make shots that no one on our current can. Quick release of screens going left or right. He also showed good vision getting the ball inside. Make a couple of great cuts last night moving without the ball. We’re so used to Judah dominating the ball we forget a point guard doesn’t have to have the ball in his hands all the time. He’s a dynamic guard who might be playing in the league.

I don't know who else is out there that we can get. But I loved what I saw from Reynolds. He doesn't answer all of our needs. True. But he makes us a much better team. If it ends with him as the guy, I won't be disappointed. If it is someone else, they better be good.
I think Reynolds would instantly be the best shooter on the team and our best source of offense. Being the third ball handler at St. Joe’s vs. potentially handing him the lead ball handler duties here makes me a bit nervous but he did show some nice flashes of playmaking when given the chance.

Maybe neither he or JJ are good enough to be lead ball handlers but playing off of each other they have just enough? Idk. I’m more confident in Reynolds being good compared to Harvard kid but there’s a reasonable argument Harvard kid suits our needs more (though shooting is a very major need for us too).

In a perfect world, I wish they could add Malik Mack and Erik Reynolds with JJ as the 6th man. I know it will not happen.
I'm not saying it will happen but the two of them are friends. I don't think the staff views JJ as somebody who they absolutely cannot recruit over. If those two both wanted to play here I don't see a world where they say no thanks.

I'm not saying it will happen but the two of them are friends. I don't think the staff views JJ as somebody who they absolutely cannot recruit over. If those two both wanted to play here I don't see a world where they say no thanks.
I view JJ to Red the same way we viewed Joe to JB. That’s his guy.

I view JJ to Red the same way we viewed Joe to JB. That’s his guy.
I agree in a way but also don't think he would turn down somebody that he knows would really help us get back to where we want to be.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. It would just make the team that much stronger.

I think JJ is going to light it up next year. He made great strides this season.
I was very impressed by his shooting after the horrendous start to the season that he had. He definitely showed some growth beyond just that. Defense was sad though.

I think JJ is going to light it up next year. He made great strides this season.
I agree. I think he's going to be a star on offense next season. People discounting his abilities are gonna eat their words. The part I worry about is his defense. It was mostly bad, but I think/hope it can improve significantly. He has lateral quickness so he should be a lot better. Red will need to get him to work really hard and recommit to improving his defensive footwork and positioning and also his long-range shooting in the offseason.

I agree. I think he's going to be a star on offense next season. People discounting his abilities are gonna eat their words. The part I worry about is his defense. It was mostly bad, but I think/hope it can improve significantly. He has lateral quickness so he should be a lot better. Red will need to get him to work really hard and recommit to improving his defensive footwork and positioning and also his long-range shooting in the offseason.
I agree. He has a chance to really heal and work on his stroke this off season. I would imagine he might have been a little tentative banging tight off screens because of his shoulder. He has excellent athletic ability and quickness to become a good defender.

Over the last 2 years Reynolds has played 6 games against P5 competition with the following averages:

22.2 ppg
3 ast
2 tov
51% FG
44% 3PT

If he enters the portal, I'd be willing to offer him the PG spot even though he's much more of a combo guard. The upside is way too much to pass up and its worth the risk imo.

Over the last 2 years Reynolds has played 6 games against P5 competition with the following averages:

22.2 ppg
3 ast
2 tov
51% FG
44% 3PT

If he enters the portal, I'd be willing to offer him the PG spot even though he's much more of a combo guard. The upside is way too much to pass up and its worth the risk imo.

I’d trust a heady sr to make that transition and be successful doing so. He’s going to be playing with more talent around him than he’s ever had so put that together with having a roster of guys bought in to what Red is wanting from them and you can have a winning combo

Can we afford him ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323-022356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323-022356_Chrome.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 111

22.2 ppg
3 ast
2 tov
51% FG
44% 3PT

I highly doubt Red would turn down Reynolds IF he enters the portal and wants to come here. He is way too skilled to pass on. But, I see the NBA as a more likely landing spot.

I highly doubt Red would turn down Reynolds IF he enters the portal and wants to come here. He is way too skilled to pass on. But, I see the NBA as a more likely landing spot.
Not saying it’s impossible that Reynolds gets drafted, but Givony from ESPN for example currently has Mintz as the #75 prospect in this year’s draft. Reynolds is outside the top 100.

Can we find a Tyler Kolek type PG in the portal? I know we’ve talked about him a lot the last two years. But Marquette got him after his freshman year at George Mason where he had a good season but his stats weren’t necessarily eye popping. Lots of under the radar guys who have high major potential.