Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Hopefully good enough to help us be better than this past year… that’s the worry
I will assure you of this. The coaches have done their due diligence on the players they are looking at. They have watched a lot of film. This isn't last year. They are ready for the portal this year. Maybe or maybe not, the players we bring in will excite thye masses, but the coaches have watched the guys we are going to get and really believe in them.

I will assure you of this. The coaches have done their due diligence on the players they are looking at. They have watched a lot of film. This isn't last year. They are ready for the portal this year. Maybe or maybe not, the players we bring in will excite thye masses, but the coaches have watched the guys we are going to get and really believe in them.

Which is more important than any single comment/opinion on a message board hands down.

We didn’t have buy in this past year and it was clear early on. Maliq, JJ, JT and occasionally Bell and Cuffe showed it but that was about it from a fan perspective from afar. We need a whole team bought into what you want to do and strong voices supporting that.

If there is one thing for certain a guy like Lampkin can bring it is that leadership listen to me element. Hopefully this all shakes out well including adding a coach.

I like it. And we as fans can only trust and support the coaches. If Red likes a certain pg, then I like him too. As the GOAT Pete Weber once said - hate me or love me, you watched, thats all you could do...All I can do is watch and hope haha.

For people who want a solid floor general, I think Carlos from Hofstra wouldn't be that bad.

I don't believe we are going to be a player for Mack. Too much of an asking price. Hope I am wrong. We will get a good pt guard that on the surface may disappoint us in the short term.
But according to bees nobody can possibly know anything about our NIL situation. Not no way, not no how! Even the big donors don’t know how much is in their bank accounts.

I don’t disagree. Joe to this point in his career was a better player than JJ and he was absolutely ripped here for his pg deficiencies. JJ has a better reputation for whatever reason here. Probably because of HS ranking.
I think that has a lot to do with it. Sometimes it's just hard to accept someone is not as good as you expected, and I'm guilty of it at times also.

But according to bees nobody can possibly know anything about our NIL situation. Not no way, not no how! Even the big donors don’t know how much is in their bank accounts.
I don't know how much we have. I don't believe any donor knows exactly how much we have in the bank. I don't know how much other schools have in the bank. I do know some guys are asking for a lot. Mack is one. And you have to figure that their will be hard feelings between teammates when a new guy comes in and gets a lot more than you get when you have been there for the team.

Last edited:
I don't know how much we have. I don't believe any donor knows exactly how much we have in the bank. I don't know how much other schools have in the bank. I do know some guys are asking for a lot. Mack is one. And you have to figure that their will be hard feelings between teammates when anew guy comes in and gets a lot more than you get when you have been there for the team.
Your last sentence is something we all need to consider more. I think too often we think it’s better to pay up if we have the money.

I don't know how much we have. I don't believe any donor knows exactly how much we have in the bank. I don't know how much other schools have in the bank. I do know some guys are asking for a lot. Mack is one. And you have to figure that their will be hard feelings between teammates when anew guy comes in and gets a lot more than you get when you have been there for the team.
I’m not sure who of the returning players should be making big money. Mintz would be the only one. Benny is gone and so is Justin and Brown. Chance, JJ and everyone else shouldn’t get much of a bump from last year.

Your last sentence is something we all need to consider more. I think too often we think it’s better to pay up if we have the money.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if that impacted Kansas’s season with how much got thrown at Dickinson. They obviously had injuries too but they simply got boat raced way more than a typical self team.

I’m not sure who of the returning players should be making big money. Mintz would be the only one. Benny is gone and so is Justin and Brown. Chance, JJ and everyone else shouldn’t get much of a bump from last year.
Agree, JJ is probably the only one who could conceivably see a decent bump but otherwise you wouldn’t think so

you have to figure that their will be hard feelings between teammates when a new guy comes in and gets a lot more than you get when you have been there for the team.
1) these guys are quasi professionals now, market dictates your value, not feelings… or we’re in worse shape than I thought.
2) everyone is leaving after 1 season so who exactly has “been there for the team” anyway?

I wasn't just referring to our school and team. I was talking generally.

I don't know how much we have. I don't believe any donor knows exactly how much we have in the bank. I don't know how much other schools have in the bank. I do know some guys are asking for a lot. Mack is one. And you have to figure that their will be hard feelings between teammates when a new guy comes in and gets a lot more than you get when you have been there for the team.
Many donors know what we have. Yes, not an exact amount to the dollar. But a range within about 100k or so.

Well said. There was a recent On3 report where Jamie Shaw talked to a bunch of coaches, some of whom said the transfers into a program are getting more in NIL dollars than existing roster members and HS recruits.

Well said. There was a recent On3 report where Jamie Shaw talked to a bunch of coaches, some of whom said the transfers into a program are getting more in NIL dollars than existing roster members and HS recruits.
hence the gold rush into the portal across the sport...

this wild west situation is not going to end well...just like the gold rush towns in the old west

1) these guys are quasi professionals now, market dictates your value, not feelings… or we’re in worse shape than I thought.
2) everyone is leaving after 1 season so who exactly has “been there for the team” anyway?
Okay, so from what you said, you have never worked somewhere where someone came in getting a lot more money than the rest and the feelings that the professionals think about it. I have. It creates bad feelings.

Okay, so from what you said, you have never worked somewhere where someone came in getting a lot more money than the rest and the feelings that the professionals think about it. I have. It creates bad feelings.

Which is why traditionally you are not supposed to talk to other people you work with about what you make. I know what everybody makes at my company because I’m the CEO. There are certainly people that would be majorly butt hurt if they knew what other people made.

Last edited:
Which is why traditionally you are not supposed to talk to other people you work with about what you make. I know what everybody makes it my company because I’m the CEO. There are certainly people that would be majorly butt hurt if they knew what other people made.
In the financial business, signing bonuses are sort of out there. So and so got 600k to move from Smith Barney to Merrill. That sort of thing. Believe me, it doesn't create firm loyalty.