Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

The bottom line is if a team is missing a certain piece for their team, they can be selective and go after who they want. I think this is probably the case for Brown. You can be selective with your money. Just be careful if you’re not the only one in the bidding!

Why do people keep bringing him up? No one asked about him at all.
He was mentioned no less than three times prior to my post.

Okay, so from what you said, you have never worked somewhere where someone came in getting a lot more money than the rest and the feelings that the professionals think about it. I have. It creates bad feelings.
Yes. If the compensation is not applied fairly. But who on the current roster thinks they’re underpaid? Transparency is the way to go.

Well said. There was a recent On3 report where Jamie Shaw talked to a bunch of coaches, some of whom said the transfers into a program are getting more in NIL dollars than existing roster members and HS recruits.
When you run a business you often have to pay more to a person with an existing job to get them to jump ship.

When you run a business you often have to pay more to a person with an existing job to get them to jump ship.
Agreed.

At my marketing agency, the junior/mid-levels all talk about salary, and it would be naive to think 18-23 year old basketball players aren't doing the same. The impact of that on culture is Dasher's point.

Which is why traditionally you are not supposed to talk to other people you work with about what you make. I know what everybody makes at my company because I’m the CEO. There are certainly people that would be majorly butt hurt if they knew what other people made.
Currently in NY it is illegal to forbid people to share their salaries with each other.

Currently in NY it is illegal to forbid people to share their salaries with each other.

Good to know. I'm not sure I've ever worked somewhere that has an actual rule which is why I used the word traditionally. I don't have that rule at my company but we operate under the assumption. (also not in NY)

Last edited:
Well said. There was a recent On3 report where Jamie Shaw talked to a bunch of coaches, some of whom said the transfers into a program are getting more in NIL dollars than existing roster members and HS recruits.
Not really surprising to be honest. It’s how it works in the regular workforce all the time too. The highest paid people (within a given level) are the most recent hires.

"Here is a look at the players the Syracuse coaches have either contacted or shown some interest in, according to various reports"

Gotcha. I wouldn't really take to the bank that the PG we're targeting is included in there, but perhaps they are.

I do think both of the Hofstra players would be nice additions but I'm hoping our aims are set higher at PG talent wise. Carlos does a lot of the stuff that people here have been clamoring for though.

Gotcha. I wouldn't really take to the bank that the PG we're targeting is included in there, but perhaps they are.

I do think both of the Hofstra players would be nice additions but I'm hoping our aims are set higher at PG talent wise. Carlos does a lot of the stuff that people here have been clamoring for though.
Hopefully not, although Lampkin is in there and that article was written before we officially knew he was even visiting Syracuse. Carlos as a backup as fine. I don't see him as a P5 starter.

I believe Mike's list is based off of players saying SU has been in contact with them. There are other players not on that list. Brooklyn "Showtime" Vick not on Mike's list, LOL.

I believe Mike's list is based off of players saying SU has been in contact with them. There are other players not on that list. Brooklyn "Showtime" Vick not on Mike's list, LOL.
Vick is a high priority recruit for us as far as I understand!

Anywho, for those that are interested in watching some games of the guys we've been linked to, you can just search for games on YouTube (ex: Hofstra basketball vs) and then filter on videos that are longer than 20 minutes and you'll generally have a handful. One account in particular, "The Draftmatic" posts a ton of full college games, including this one between Hofstra and Duke, so you could simply go to their profile and then search for the team you want to watch.

Hofstra was right there with Duke for the first half but Duke pulled away in the second. Carlos finished with 10 points and 9 assists on 3/8 shooting (0/3 from 3) and Darlinstone Dubar finished with 24 points and 8 rebounds on 8/13 shooting (7/11 from 3).

Think he’ll have to become one to gain any sort of pro buzz.
Thinking the same. Watching Roddy's highlights, he has a solid handle which he uses to penetrate/create space and he's clearly a good & willing passer as his 3.1 assists a game attests to - 3 dimes a game is impressive for a 2-guard (tho 2.4 turnovers is not). He shot 28% from 3 this yr, 42% as a frosh. His shooting form looks fine so I imagine he can prolly shoot somewhere in the middle, around 35%, if he continues to work on his jumper.

Right now, Gayle Jr. is more of a tweener - an athletic Shooting Guard that leans Combo Guard. But at his present size - 6'4 205 - he's slightly undersized for an NBA SG. However, he's the prototypical size for a Point Guard in today's NBA.

So just speculating but if he is a portal target, maybe the thinking/pitch from SU is, "Come (home) to Syracuse, we'll let run the point and we'll prepare/train you to play the position so you'll be in be in a better position to make it to the league." Or something along those lines - it's the same pitch some were speculating may be made to St. Joe's Shooting/Combo Guard Erik Reynolds if/when he portals. Or Fran with Chesnut moving to Safety on the football side.

Again, just speculating but if RGjr is a Syracuse target - and following existing team members on socials if often a tell - SU already has a glut at SG with JJ, Westry (if isn't @ PG or SF), Cuffe and Moore. So bringing in Roddy just to play the 2 doesn't make a lot of sense and he's not big enough to play the 3 - leaving me to think that if Red IS bringing him on board, it might be to play PG.

But of course at this stage, RGjr is likely one of several players being considered for the PG job, so I guess we'll find out soon enough who they ultimately choose.

Last edited:
Hopefully not, although Lampkin is in there and that article was written before we officially knew he was even visiting Syracuse. Carlos as a backup as fine. I don't see him as a P5 starter.
I think he can probably start for some schools in more of a floor general type of role but given where our roster is, we're probably going to need more of a scoring punch from our PG. We'll see though, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I feel like he's the type of PG a lot of coaches will fall in love with.

Anywho, for those that are interested in watching some games of the guys we've been linked to, you can just search for games on YouTube (ex: Hofstra basketball vs) and then filter on videos that are longer than 20 minutes and you'll generally have a handful. One account in particular, "The Draftmatic" posts a ton of full college games, including this one between Hofstra and Duke, so you could simply go to their profile and then search for the team you want to watch.

Hofstra was right there with Duke for the first half but Duke pulled away in the second. Carlos finished with 10 points and 9 assists on 3/8 shooting (0/3 from 3) and Darlinstone Dubar finished with 24 points and 8 rebounds on 8/13 shooting (7/11 from 3).

Dubar intrigues me more than Carlos. Especially with Brown in the portal. He put up pretty good numbers in a lower level league but he was also the focal point of other defenses. At SU defenses would not be able to focus on him as much. He would seem like a good fit to replace Brown on the frontline with Donnie and Eddie.
Carlos is a solid player and would be able to help but there are other guys out their I'd prefer.

Dubar intrigues me more than Carlos. Especially with Brown in the portal. He put up pretty good numbers in a lower level league but he was also the focal point of other defenses. At SU defenses would not be able to focus on him as much. He would seem like a good fit to replace Brown on the frontline with Donnie and Eddie.
Carlos is a solid player and would be able to help but there are other guys out their I'd prefer.
Dubar would be an upgrade over Bell IMO so i doubt it happens. It appears Bell would be locked in there.

Dubar and Reynolds please. Leffew would be another good option at PG. There could be other possibilities who haven’t entered the portal yet.

Dubar and Reynolds please. Leffew would be another good option at PG. There could be other possibilities who haven’t entered the portal yet.
Leffew is a combo. He was also 10-31 against P6 schools this year with 4 assists and 7 turnovers.

Regarding Mintz... how does recruiting a PG in the portal work if Mintz hasn't given us a final decision? Of course we can reach out to guys, but what are the coaches telling possible replacements if Mintz isn't 100% leaving? This whole portal thing is so messy.