Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

There are so many players we have been discussing that I thought it would be a good idea to put them all together in a spreadsheet to see how they compare.

Looking at this, I don't think there is much of a comparison. Erik Reynolds II is the guy we need. Dasher was right. Again.

I think if you click on it, it will blow up to a readable size. Happy to add more players or more columns if need be.

Also included Judah's stats for comparison purposes. And highlighted the best number for each category.

View attachment 239637
When you look it like that. Judah shooting 24% from 3 and a 46.6 eFG, both lowest on the list, is even more startling. It was a huge liability for us last year.

There are so many players we have been discussing that I thought it would be a good idea to put them all together in a spreadsheet to see how they compare.

Looking at this, I don't think there is much of a comparison. Erik Reynolds II is the guy we need. Dasher was right. Again.

I think if you click on it, it will blow up to a readable size. Happy to add more players or more columns if need be.

Also included Judah's stats for comparison purposes. And highlighted the best number for each category.

View attachment 239637
Reynolds would likely require holding a roster spot open until after the NBA eval. I don't know how likely that is, but I think it would be well worth the risk.

Reynolds would likely require holding a roster spot open until after the NBA eval. I don't know how likely that is, but I think it would be well worth the risk.
We don’t have that luxury to wait, see and hope.

The roster spot isn't the problem, we can hold the 13th spot, it's the guarantee to start and promise of NIL money that can't be tied up. That's not worth to risk, IMHO.

Have watched quite a bit of Reynolds. Bluntly: he's the difference between middle of the pack roster vs pushing top 4, contending, ACC roster. Moves, scores like a pro already. Haven't had that talent level at SU in years. Was ecstatic to hear it was even a possibility.

Trust the staff on this one, but this is the game you play with high-level talents in the portal era. Go for it, Red.

The roster spot isn't the problem, we can hold the 13th spot, it's the guarantee to start and promise of NIL money that can't be tied up. That's not worth to risk, IMHO.
You have what - 1900 in the transfer portal most all hoping to move up, get paid bigger $ and start. Crazy time. What’s that like 3 players for every d1 team? Reality?

Crazy - Maybe instead of the transfer portal the colleges like employers, publicize their prospective openings, characteristics, requirements they desire and have the prospects (players) who are interested apply individually who fit the criteria noted. ;)

View attachment 239637
Great spreadsheet. Reynolds obviously number one. Jaquan Carlos looks like the #2 prospect for our needs.

View attachment 239637
Thanks for putting this together! It's very interesting to compare the players. However, why do you have Judah at only 24% from 3?

Thanks for putting this together! It's very interesting to compare the players. However, why do you have Judah at only 24% from 3?
Looks like it should be 28.2. Sorry, must have miskeyed that one.

Kadary Richmond and Eddie Lampkin just started following each other.

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 71
It'll be interesting to see which PG we ultimately bring in. I don't know who else we're truly considering, but Leffew and Carlos are two completely different types of players (really two different positions IMO but this wouldn't be the first time we've played someone out of position at PG). I don't think I'd really want to bet on either of them being good as a starting PG here, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind.

Carlos is simply not going to provide much of a scoring punch from the PG spot; he gets downhill well and he's statistically a solid finisher at the rim, but when he drives, he's looking to hit the roll man, then looking to kick out to a shooter, and maybe then he'll consider trying to score. What he can do is control tempo, knowing when to push it and when to slow it down, get the team into offensive sets (if we have any), and make the other players' lives easier. I'm not sure if we have enough shooting/finishing to opt for this type of player, but others may disagree.

Leffew doesn't seem to be as good a shooter as Erik Reynolds for example, but he's in that mold of a player. Similar to Reynolds, he isn't really a point guard. He was asked to do more of the creating this season as their starting PG got hurt and Leffew stepped up to take primary ball-handling duties, but up until this season, he's been a wing (and my understanding is that includes high school as well). Also similar to Reynolds, he takes a steady diet of tough stepbacks, pull up 3's, etc. and shows flashes of nice passing skills here and there. Having said that, before this season, Leffew had more turnovers in his career than assists and he's now at 233 assists to 228 turnovers after this most recent season. Again, worth mentioning that this was his first season playing PG, but a near 1:1 assist to turnover ratio is obviously not ideal and I don't think starting someone new to the position is ideal either. If Autry wants a pass-first floor general type that will push tempo, that isn't who Leffew has been up to this point in his career. I don't think it's crazy to think he could blossom into a good point guard, but he's very old for a college player and is still learning the position. I also think in terms of his NBA prospects, it would make more sense for him to find a landing spot where he can handle the ball less than he did this past season at The Mount. All in all, Leffew is a tough shot-maker, but in terms of the PG spot, he's old, inexperienced, and would be making about as big a jump in competition as it gets. It's a very high-risk move with decently high potential reward. More of a positive note: it's just highlights, but there's so much good stuff in his highlights against Marist, who was one of the best teams in the conference this past season.

It'll be interesting to see which PG we ultimately bring in. I don't know who else we're truly considering, but Leffew and Carlos are two completely different types of players (really two different positions IMO but this wouldn't be the first time we've played someone out of position at PG). I don't think I'd really want to bet on either of them being good as a starting PG here, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind.

Carlos is simply not going to provide much of a scoring punch from the PG spot; he gets downhill well and he's statistically a solid finisher at the rim, but when he drives, he's looking to hit the roll man, then looking to kick out to a shooter, and maybe then he'll consider trying to score. What he can do is control tempo, knowing when to push it and when to slow it down, get the team into offensive sets (if we have any), and make the other players' lives easier. I'm not sure if we have enough shooting/finishing to opt for this type of player, but others may disagree.

Leffew doesn't seem to be as good a shooter as Erik Reynolds for example, but he's in that mold of a player. Similar to Reynolds, he isn't really a point guard. He was asked to do more of the creating this season as their starting PG got hurt and Leffew stepped up to take primary ball-handling duties, but up until this season, he's been a wing (and my understanding is that includes high school as well). Also similar to Reynolds, he takes a steady diet of tough stepbacks, pull up 3's, etc. and shows flashes of nice passing skills here and there. Having said that, before this season, Leffew had more turnovers in his career than assists and he's now at 233 assists to 228 turnovers after this most recent season. Again, worth mentioning that this was his first season playing PG, but a near 1:1 assist to turnover ratio is obviously not ideal and I don't think starting someone new to the position is ideal either. If Autry wants a pass-first floor general type that will push tempo, that isn't who Leffew has been up to this point in his career. I don't think it's crazy to think he could blossom into a good point guard, but he's very old for a college player and is still learning the position. I also think in terms of his NBA prospects, it would make more sense for him to find a landing spot where he can handle the ball less than he did this past season at The Mount. All in all, Leffew is a tough shot-maker, but in terms of the PG spot, he's old, inexperienced, and would be making about as big a jump in competition as it gets. It's a very high-risk move with decently high potential reward. More of a positive note: it's just highlights, but there's so much good stuff in his highlights against Marist, who was one of the best teams in the conference this past season.

He really did grow into the position and his improvement as being his first year was pretty impressive which I imagine is where the staff can see the potential. Somewhat similar to Newton at UConns improvement at ECU albeit it happened earlier in his career.

The bigger issue here is there are limited options after the crazy expensive Mack and outside Carlos there are very few “true “ points. If Kadary portals that would make another one and maybe the closest thing to what every team would want.

Last edited:

Watching his tape a couple other things I saw-

1- he plays with his head up even when he is being aggressive seeking his own shot and a couple times he looks to find a roller or cutter then when it wasn’t there put the shot up. That’s a good sign for a kid we want running the point.

2- He is efficient in getting into the action and has a smoothness to his game. He looks comfortable on the ball and in command - much more so as the season progressed too vs early on.

Even being an older player he looks to still be developing and with the foundation there is a good bit of potential there too. I would still hope Westry is healthy to have that pass first guy on the roster but I don’t see this as a miss all things considered. Not to mention if Westry blows up this kid can slide over to the 2 at times as well if you want a much bigger lineup as a solid outside shooter.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what’s not to like about this kid. He’s the type of player that usually hurts us. He has a good handle, passes well and you have to guard him from the three. Go get him Red. The fact that your point guard is 6’5” is another big plus. He can see over the defense. This kid’s head is always up and pushing the ball.

Last edited:
But according to bees nobody can possibly know anything about our NIL situation. Not no way, not no how! Even the big donors don’t know how much is in their bank accounts.

If you’re going to quote someone, at least learn how to quote what they said.

Took every word out of my mouth. I’m concerned , but I also trust this staff and their evaluation.

Marist was a top ten defensive team in the nation this season based on metrics so him performing well against my almamater is a good look.