Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

We will see in terms of defense next year. I’ve never seen a lead guard let people just drive past them at mid court like Judah did many times last year just as much as watching him watch when JJ was trying to D up and didn’t shade over to help. It was maddening. I’m not saying JJ and Bell weren’t problems on D but Judah playing matador was at times in a league of its own.
Judah could be a good defender, but like to gamble leaving a5/4, also was usually picking himself off the floor and complaining about the no call, so was again a 5/4. It appeared he also did not fight through screens well or close out. Not all bad as he usually had a few steals a game and was good on scramble plays. I was surprised he did not block more shots with his jumping ability.

Judah could be a good defender, but like to gamble leaving a5/4, also was usually picking himself off the floor and complaining about the no call, so was again a 5/4. It appeared he also did not fight through screens well or close out. Not all bad as he usually had a few steals a game and was good on scramble plays. I was surprised he did not block more shots with his jumping ability.
Completely agree with this. He seemed to have the talent. It was largely a choice.

So we're all just going to be cool with settling for the lead guard position and are ok with it because of who we *might* get next year as a high school recruit that we can't scare off?

That is some serious rationalizing. I like Leffew, truly, but come on.

BTW, our starting lineup is going to get ran through like a hot knife through butter. We better hope this is the most efficient offense we've ever had because we are looking awful on the defensive side of the ball with our starting five. Awful.

We keep planning for next year, we'll never have a this year.
I dont think you should wait for anything in CBB and should not rely on Freshman as it’s a hit and miss. Prefer to develop a few guys and hope they pan out while getting top level older transfers.

I like to think Cuse has the funds to compete at a high level. but its smart to use those funds wisely and find the best value. don't overpay for 1 guy just because you can, because it leaves less in the coffers to round out the roster with quality. if we take a "lesser" PG than Mack, but still someone very good that the coaches like, I'm fine with that if it means we can get other high quality transfers that otherwise couldn't afford if we overpay for the PG

Yes, but $$$ / elite academic institution / ability to play in front of family close to his hometown.

Those are the factors potentially driving him to georgetown, or either school in the DMV [Maryland is a good school, but not elite like gtown].
This and potentially a hundred other reasons why. You take your shot, if it doesn't land, you move to the next target. People are acting like it's Red's decision. Family, agents, marketing, girlfriends, back channel Nil contacts, high school coaches, AAU coaches, all influence the decision.

This and potentially a hundred other reasons why. You take your shot, if it doesn't land, you move to the next target. People are acting like it's Red's decision. Family, agents, marketing, girlfriends, back channel Nil contacts, high school coaches, AAU coaches, all influence the decision.
Agee, these decisions are more than just the $, look at Fran Brown and what he is doing

Yup as long as we took our shot, that’s what matters. We swung for the fences and flew out to the wall. You can take those at bats as long as the runner at third tags up(Leffew still being available) and scores (Leffew being a good piece).

Completely agree with this. He seemed to have the talent. It was largely a choice.

Absolutely his choice but that also is my point just consistent effort and commitment is a step up defensively.

Because the hardcore fan base needs to understand the reality of the situation? If we don’t have funds to compete, make it known
No insider knowledge of what this situation really is between us and Mack but I’m not the biggest fan of blanket statements regarding these things.

I’m a baseball guy so I’m looking at this situation like the Blake Snell free agency this past offseason. Guy is coming off a Cy Young Award season (second of his career) and is asking for a ton of money over a long period of time. Nobody, including the Yankees who have a ton of money thought it was reasonable and refused to match.

Is he a good player? Absolutely.

Do the Yankees have the money to give him what he wants? Technically, yes. (Obviously not saying our NIL is Yankees budget level whatsoever)

But they didn’t think giving one player with his body of work was worth as much as he was demanding and decided to go with a cheaper alternative that is also reliable (Marcus Stroman).

Yup as long as we took our shot, that’s what matters. We swung for the fences and flew out to the wall. You can take those at bats as long as the runner at third tags up(Leffew still being available) and scores (Leffew being a good piece).
I like how far you took the analogy.

Agee, these decisions are more than just the $, look at Fran Brown and what he is doing

I’ll just also say that money talks for everyone but the kid isn’t coming in as a proven winner and picking Gtown for money over a bit less in a better situation to win - how much does playing at a program with the best chance to win factor in at all and what are you getting from a player with that mindset? Get paid too much to play close to home and have free reign on the court whether you win or not… no idea if that’s who he is but I don’t think that’s a stretch either.

That’s separate from any opinions about Leffew or where he played to be clear.

If Mack wants a million dollars is he worth it?

And if we get in a bidding war does this continue next year.

Just throwing a number out there.
To be fair, it sounds like we might only want whoever we get for one season anyways, so we might not mind if he takes our money this year and moves on for more later.

But yeah, if we're to believe the numbers that have been out there the last couple years, a million would be pretty insane.

Esspecially waiting a year for one. If we couldn’t get Mack, fine, but that excuse stinks

…and I’m not down on Leffew fwiw. Just felt Mack is going to be a solid multi year college player. The type we see do well in the tourney
Completely agree. We are in no position to say, “Hey, we are waiting for a pg in 2 yrs.” We need success, now!

To be fair, it sounds like we might only want whoever we get for one season anyways, so we might not mind if he takes our money this year and moves on for more later.

But yeah, if we're to believe the numbers that have been out there the last couple years, a million would be pretty insane.
From what I understand we will get involved with the right guys, but if it's a straight bidding war I would automatically consider us out. That's what it sounds like it will be for Mack.

I agree with what you are saying here, but doesn't Mack have some concerns as well? He is not the perfect version of a pg we are suddenly making him out to be now that we are probably not getting him.
What’s not to like about Mack other than the money he’s asking for?

No insider knowledge of what this situation really is between us and Mack but I’m not the biggest fan of blanket statements regarding these things.

I’m a baseball guy so I’m looking at this situation like the Blake Snell free agency this past offseason. Guy is coming off a Cy Young Award season (second of his career) and is asking for a ton of money over a long period of time. Nobody, including the Yankees who have a ton of money thought it was reasonable and refused to match.

Is he a good player? Absolutely.

Do the Yankees have the money to give him what he wants? Technically, yes. (Obviously not saying our NIL is Yankees budget level whatsoever)

But they didn’t think giving one player with his body of work was worth as much as he was demanding and decided to go with a cheaper alternative that is also reliable (Marcus Stroman).

That’s fine! Say he wasn’t worth the money or alternatively we dont have the money.

Don’t suggest the reason was because we are waiting a year unless that’s the actual reason.

I agree with what you are saying here, but doesn't Mack have some concerns as well? He is not the perfect version of a pg we are suddenly making him out to be now that we are probably not getting him.
We're not looking for perfect, and he was Mr. Right.

Leffew would be a quality add, but it's fair to ask the question of a guy making a big jump in competition:

Can he raise the ceiling of this roster to the level of a tournament team?

Red really can't afford a miss here.
Ultimately, we're looking at the following roster changes:

Lampkin/McLeod vs Brown. This is a big win. Brown wasn't supposed to be a center... He had some really strong games. He also was helpless in others. Our center won't get pushed around this year.

Freeman vs Taylor. Our single biggest upgrade, by far. Size, scoring ability, athleticism all greatly improved.

Junior Bell vs Sophomore, Bell. It’s rare that players get worse as they get more experience…

Junior Starling versus sophomore Starling. See Bell reference. Additionally, I think the second half Starling is who we get next year.

Lefflew vs Mintz. Trading shooting for dribble penetration. Lefflew might be the better passer and is the better rebounder.

I think overall this is a net improvement, even if you think Mintz is better than Lefflew.

I dont think you should wait for anything in CBB and should not rely on freshmen
SU fans have been waiting for "next year's class" for 10 years. Genuinely surprised the insiders are ok with this approach.

I honestly was surprised after getting wind of the #s his camp is looking for. Great if we could get it done but overpaying would be a pretty clear assessment with anyone who lands him.
Maybe we're in a position where we need to overpay to right the ship. Then once we're back on course we have more leverage in future NIL dealings.

So we're all just going to be cool with settling for the lead guard position and are ok with it because of who we *might* get next year as a high school recruit that we can't scare off?

That is some serious rationalizing. I like Leffew, truly, but come on.

BTW, our starting lineup is going to get ran through like a hot knife through butter. We better hope this is the most efficient offense we've ever had because we are looking awful on the defensive side of the ball with our starting five. Awful.

We keep planning for next year, we'll never have a this year.
Well maybe you should have told Malik and QC not to leave. Throw in Jesse as well. We have to start somewhere.