Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Yeah I mean it's pretty hard to engineer a perfectly competitive tourney team every year, especially a single elimination tournament with a high tolerance for chaotic results.
100%, but we're talking about going 4 years without tourney next year.

and 10 years...10 YEARS!...since we had better than an 8 seed.

Telling the fans to wait another year is rough.

If we can't get get Mack (which seems to be the case), how is Roddy Gayle not the clear choice compared to Leffew? Extra year of eligibility and a proven performer against P5 competition. Three point percentage was a little low this year, but shot 42% the year before. Seems like a plus athlete as well. I don't think either one's handle is completely up to the task.

100%, but we're talking about going 4 years without tourney next year.

and 10 years...10 YEARS!...since we had better than an 8 seed.

Telling the fans to wait another year is rough.
I fully agree it's rough, it just is what it is.

I didn’t say “just because”. I specifically said Syracuse needs to explain to its hardcore fan base the realities of their current status in college basketball to set expectations. If it’s lack of funds, that should be laid out. If it’s not, then that should be laid out too. Just because you don’t think that’s not a good reason doesn’t make it not a reason

Also, I never once said public statement. I know that posts here by certain posters are coming from known sources within the staff. The reasons listed aren’t out of thin air.

Also, fwiw, I tend to believe the reasons laid out by some of the more senior posters here that it WASNT lack of funds and was more due to making sure there was an open PG slot next year. And I think it’s very unwise imo
Oh geez. Since I don't understand what you're trying to say I'll finish here.

1. You think the fanbase needs to be told so they have reasonable expectations. Still don't understand WHY you think that's important. Not sure I can ever recall any sports team soft peddling their chances this season for that purpose, but curious as to why the staff should try and tamp down expectations. To raise NIL money? So fans don't get too upset when team does poorly next year? Some other reason? Why???

2. So you're not saying the staff should issue a public statement but a whisper campaign through sources to a few select fans? That's the omission you are complaining out? I don't know what to say to that. And if it's not designed to get to the masses but just to the "hardcore fans," I'm even more perplexed as to the why.

3. Don't you think this stuff is more art than science? It seems likely it was a combo of both factors, maybe others, so the whole notion that we need to know which one it was strikes me as silly and naive.

I fully agree it's rough, it just is what it is.
It's only a "is what it is" scenario if we don't have the dough. That was my point above. If this is a choice, it's not "is what it is", it's a specific plan to get two (I assume Kiyan is involved with Jackson) studs for 2025-26 and do a "hope for the best" year next year.

It's only a "is what it is" scenario if we don't have the dough. That was my point above. If this is a choice, it's not "is what it is", it's a specific plan to get two (I assume Kiyan is involved with Jackson) studs for 2025-26 and do a "hope for the best" year next year.
Eh, I just don't see it that way.

Oh geez. Since I don't understand what you're trying to say I'll finish here.

1. You think the fanbase needs to be told so they have reasonable expectations. Still don't understand WHY you think that's important. Not sure I can ever recall any sports team soft peddling their chances this season for that purpose, but curious as to why the staff should try and tamp down expectations. To raise NIL money? So fans don't get too upset when team does poorly next year? Some other reason? Why???

2. So you're not saying the staff should issue a public statement but a whisper campaign through sources to a few select fans? That's the omission you are complaining out? I don't know what to say to that. And if it's not designed to get to the masses but just to the "hardcore fans," I'm even more perplexed as to the why.

3. Don't you think this stuff is more art than science? It seems likely it was a combo of both factors, maybe others, so the whole notion that we need to know which one it was strikes me as silly and naive.
Read the post and I'm detailing in-depth why the reason is important. I guarantee you'll be the poster at the end of the year saying the fans need to lay off Red and we need to accept we're doing as well as we can.

Im sure the staff has feelers out and are involved with atleast 5-10 pg’s out there gathering level of interest and commitment possibilities . We know nothing and it should be that way. Red isn’t JB where he puts all his eggs in one basket. There’s a new sheriff in town and Coach Red is his name and bringing in solid pgs is his game.

If we can't get get Mack (which seems to be the case), how is Roddy Gayle not the clear choice compared to Leffew? Extra year of eligibility and a proven performer against P5 competition. Three point percentage was a little low this year, but shot 42% the year before. Seems like a plus athlete as well. I don't think either one's handle is completely up to the task.
Gayle and JJ would be a terrible shooting backcourt. We can’t play both of them together. I think Leffew has clear upside on offense that Gayle doesn’t have. Like it or not after Mack there’s no clear cut choice if Reynolds isn’t going to enter the portal.

Again, Leffew has exactly half a season playing point guard. He's not a point guard by trade.

He transitioned into the position last year and improved, however I would temper expectations.
Again look at performance against the type of athletes he will see every night. That record does not justify these expectations. With all respect to Marist and Niagara and the like. But as FHCDB says belief without evidence.

That's what you call damage control.
Lol. Well, I must be Kreskin because I heard this about 10 days ago,or whatever the day before Leffew’s name went public.

Long before that late push for Mack. Mack had been considered a reach for $ reasons.

If any of you who are disappointed want to write a 500k check to get Mack - knock yourself out.

Coaches need plan A, B, C and D in building a team. It’s not like “oh, this is what we want to do” and it gets done. It NEVER works out that way.

And I’m not convinced that getting Mack was ever plan “A”.

Last edited:
Lol. Well, I must be Kreskin because I heard this about 10 days ago,or whatever the day before Leffew’s name went public.

Long before that late push for Mack. Mack had been considered a reach for $ reasons.

If any of you who are disappointed want to write a 500k check to get Mack - knock yourself out.

Coaches need plan A, B, C and D in building a team. It’s not like “oh, this is what we want to do” and it gets done. I NEVER works out that way.

So if money wasn't an option, we would take Mack over Leffew?

Again look at performance against the type of athletes he will see every night. That record does not justify these expectations. With all respect to Marist and Niagara and the like. But as FHCDB says belief without evidence.
I agree for the most part but to be fair, all of those games against solid competition came VERY early in his transition to PG. It’s possible he would have fared much better if he faced them later in the year. Unfortunately we really don’t know.

Coaches need plan A, B, C and D in building a team. It’s not like “oh, this is what we want to do” and it gets done. I NEVER works out that way.

I'm not talking about missing on Mack. Im referring to the part where you said we like Leffew because he doesn't impact 2025 prospects.

Would be absolutely stunned in a good way if he shoots 37% from 3 at SU. That's a lofty expectation.
I don't believe that at all. The kid can shoot. I would be more worried about ball handling at this level.

Its definitely true but thats not why were taking him.
I think it is definitely a plus factor. And I might add, I have been told that. But it isn't the most important factor, of course.

I don't believe that at all. The kid can shoot. I would be more worried about ball handling at this level.
As you know, the physical toll it takes to handle pressure and be a lead guard impacts shooting percentages. If he was coming in to play JJ’s role off the ball, fine. But that’s not what is expected to happen here. Which is why I would be stunned if he’s at 37%.

Anyone else that might come with Leffew alongside Engelstad.? They’ve got a pretty solid looking 6-4 frosh guard too..

So the plan is next year to have a Freshman starting at PG? I can't believe that is a plan either right? All this talk about Vetern PGs being so valuable and we are not taking a guard with multiple years of eligibility because they will block our 2025 class point guards? Again so next year the plan is to start a TRUE FRESHMAN at PG?