Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

As you know, the physical toll it takes to handle pressure and be a lead guard impacts shooting percentages. If he was coming in to play JJ’s role off the ball, fine. But that’s not what is expected to happen here. Which is why I would be stunned if he’s at 37%.
I also think on our team, he will get a lot more open looks that he is used to. He has a big center, and another shooter that people will work to defend more than him.

So the plan is next year to have a Freshman starting at PG? I can't believe that is a plan either right? All this talk about Vetern PGs being so valuable and we are not taking a guard with multiple years of eligibility because they will block our 2025 class point guards? Again so next year the plan is to start a TRUE FRESHMAN at PG?
Who said that? The portal will be open again next year. Plus, we don't know how good of a freshman pt guard we can get. Don't put a down payment on worry. Let's get throught this year first.

Try telling that to a HS stud and their handlers. Plus others will use it against you.

Red knows what he’s doing.
I certainly hope he does. This past year’s portal additions were a B-/C+.

Read the post and I'm detailing in-depth why the reason is important. I guarantee you'll be the poster at the end of the year saying the fans need to lay off Red and we need to accept we're doing as well as we can.
Yes I know I know if you're not full of piss and vinegar than you're part of the problem. Real fans hold the program to a high standard blah blah blah. Thank you for doing that.

So, in sum, not publicly but quietly thru dissemination to sources, the staff should communicate that Mack was actually their first choice but they don't have enough funds so they settled for Leffew. These sources can then communicate this to hardcore fans, for the purpose of setting expectations. It's important to level set expectations with hardcore fans because [insert reason here]. This makes great sense.

Who said that? The portal will be open again next year. Plus, we don't know how good of a freshman pt guard we can get. Don't put a down payment on worry. Let's get throught this year first.

The "one of the bonuses to picking Leffew over Mack is it doesn't block our 25 highly rated PG recruits" comment sort of hints at that. No?

The "one of the bonuses to picking Leffew over Mack is it doesn't block our 25 highly rated PG recruits" comment sort of hints at that. No?
No It's just a fact.

I’ve seen multiple people make these comparison and I hate it tbh

Spencer played at Rutgers as you mentioned, LEVELS above MT. St Mary’s, averaged over 10 a game on 40% shooting in his career at Rutgers. He was a quality player in one of the best conferences in the sport.

Knect is an outlier, not the norm and not even close to something that should be looked at to be replicated because it’s simply not possible, the whole thing is already a crapshoot. But to play the same game, he averaged 20+ a game on almost identical shooting numbers as his last season at northern Colorado. 40% from 3 on 6 attempts s game, 59 ts%, etc while also putting in some other good numbers like 7 boards a game. The big sky was 19th in net last season, The maac 23rd, while this year they were 22nd and 24th.

We’ve been over Leffews numbers. A pretty good shooter, likes to shoot off screens, on the move, step backs, etc. he has a better ast% than his tov suggest so thats promising almost with the climb in that area in general. He’dbe the second best pure shooter and scorer in this roster I believe. He’s got some decent hands and gets some steals and blocks and I think In our system the steals would go up even more.

My biggest worry with Leffew is even though the assist numbers(4.3a game this season) have gone up some, they aren’t the prettiest, with a 1.37 a/t. Watching tape the handle worries me. He’s crafty and got some inside game getting to the basket, can throw it down but I just don’t see an actual point guard out of his play. And this is where my concern and judgement comes from. We need a point guard I don’t think Leffew is really a point guard, nor did his team until this season unless of course it was out of necessity as well.

All in all I like this game, i think he can help us but i dont know how well, and how well it’ll translate coming from one of the bottom leagues in the country, and being the only big fish in a small pound could be a positive or a negative for him in his next step, I hope for our sake it’s positive. I trust red and I trust the staff and have really like their jobs so far but I’m worried about the point guard and roster management around it still.
Some clarification is needed here. Spencer's "career" at Rutgers was one season. He played 3 years at Loyola, following his brother Pat, the Tewaarton (Heisman) winner in lacrosse. The brother was also a hooper, playing his 5th year at Northwestern with 10/4/4 numbers.

Is Mack's game similar to Judah? I haven't seen him enough to know but the little I have watched it does seem like they have similar play.

Player A: 17.2, 4.0, 4.8, 41% shooting

Player B: 17.6, 4.3, 3.9, 43%

Why, exactly, are people acting like there is a huge difference between Mack and Leffew? I don't think it's because all these people happen to follow both Harvard and Mount St. Mary and have strong opinions about their games after watching both play all season.

I've never seen either play, I have no dog in this race, but all this angst over Mack seems way over the top to me.

Why, exactly, are people acting like there is a huge difference between Mack and Leffew? I don't think it's because all these people happen to follow both Harvard and Mount St. Mary and have strong opinions about their games after watching both play all season.

I've never seen either play, I have no dog in this race, but all this angst over Mack seems way over the top to me.
Right, I’ve never even heard of any of these guys until the last couple weeks.

Harvard's SOS this year was 179th of 362
MSM's SOS this year was 336th of 362

Additionally, We've seen top Ivy league guys be very successful portalling.

(That said the Iona kid that went to Florida was pretty good this year, so maybe...)

Harvard's SOS this year was 179th of 362
MSM's SOS this year was 336th of 362

Additionally, We've seen top Ivy league guys be very successful portalling.

(That said the Iona kid that went to Florida was pretty good this year, so maybe...)

If you want to say Mack's numbers came against a harder schedule so you think there is a slightly better chance of him coming good I'm fine with that. But team SOS is definitely not a strong indicator of individual talent, I think we can all agree on that.

And people don't seem to be saying there is a small amount of secondary evidence to indicate one player is better than the other. They seem to be saying Mack is far better and without him we are screwed, and I just don't see it.

If you want to say Mack's numbers came against a harder schedule so you think there is a slightly better chance of him coming good I'm fine with that. But team SOS is definitely not a strong indicator of individual talent, I think we can all agree on that.

And people don't seem to be saying there is a small amount of secondary evidence to indicate one player is better than the other. They seem to be saying Mack is far better and without him we are screwed, and I just don't see it.

I don’t think “screwed” would be the best terminology. I would just like us to get best player for us to get back to the tourney. Leffew could be good enough for sure.

Also, my point is you posted specific numbers. without context. For example, Someone scoring 18 pts in the ACC vs someone scoring 18 pts in the MAAC. I was just posting the SOS to frame the numbers

So assuming all goes well and Leffew commits this weekend, what about backup PG? Are we counting on Cuffe to help out there? Maybe someone else?