Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

If we can't land Leffew , I am not optimistic that we can land anyone else that is in that league.
I've watched my share of basketball and played. What I've seen of Leffew is decent but he isn't a sure bet by any means. Is he the best out there?

I've watched my share of basketball and played. What I've seen of Leffew is decent but he isn't a sure bet by any means. Is he the best out there?
Well, there is a reason that Nova, Xavier and now South Carolina also want him. What worries me is the drop off from him.

Keeping in mind that I'm an idiot with a noted history of poor decision making, and my sources like my friends are imaginary, I think what's going on is similar to the phenomenon found in corporate America where companies that recruit externally for a position tend to pay higher dollar than they do to retain their own employees. Thus, the incentives are structured in a way that encouraged employees to go on the move - why get a small annual raise when leaving for a new company nets you a 10-15% increase?

Applied to the transfer portal, the "market" for talent is out of whack right now. High school players are locked in, a certain number of guys feel fine with their situation and don't want to leave, but it sure is tempting for everyone else with some level of talent to try and milk out the maximum offer they can get, which is higher than normal right now.

And in corporate America, when the new hire makes more than everybody else on the team, it often doesn't go well, even when they're an exceptional performer, because nobody that's put in the blood, sweat, and tears likes it when some sparkly new person shows up and makes bank without proving anything.

If my reading of the situation is right, Syracuse is like the company that's deciding they aren't going to play that game all the way. Yes, they'll bring talent in from outside, because they need talent and it's a viable channel. But they aren't going to overpay, and coming off the season they just did, they aren't going to risk blowing up chemistry by having new unknowns get NIL better than the guys that have already contributed to something. And that's a rough spot to be in when the NIL market is out of whack.

The one thing I do find funny is that not long sgo there was so much speculation that guys weren't really worth much more than their scholarship and NIL wouldn't equate to much. Well... we're seeing for a lot of guys that's not the case, and they're worth a whole lot more than their scholarship. Sure, the collectives have completely destroyed the ROI structures that would have given NIL some guard rails, but still, here we are.

Well, there is a reason that Nova, Xavier and now South Carolina also want him. What worries me is the drop off from him.
He was Xavier's 3rd or 4th option. Nova is after some bigger names as well but from what I'm hearing they do want him. South Carolina is also in the mix for some other guards but I'm not too sure what the situation is there. We are really the only school where he's looked at as PG1.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that I'm an idiot with a noted history of poor decision making, and my sources like my friends are imaginary,
One of the finest mea culpa's in recorded history. Well done..

He was Xavier's 3rd or 4th option. Nova is after some bigger names as well but from what I'm hearing they do want him. South Carolina is also in the mix for some other guards but I'm not too sure what the situation is there. We are really the only school where he's looked at as PG1.
South Carolina also bottom P5 in NIL last year, maybe a last year's good results drove more money in there, but would be concerned if they can outbid us.

This is Leffew's first time getting these type of offers, I understand why he would want to look around to see what else is out there (just like any person in the job force looking for competitive salaries)

Keeping in mind that I'm an idiot with a noted history of poor decision making, and my sources like my friends are imaginary, I think what's going on is similar to the phenomenon found in corporate America where companies that recruit externally for a position tend to pay higher dollar than they do to retain their own employees. Thus, the incentives are structured in a way that encouraged employees to go on the move - why get a small annual raise when leaving for a new company nets you a 10-15% increase?

Applied to the transfer portal, the "market" for talent is out of whack right now. High school players are locked in, a certain number of guys feel fine with their situation and don't want to leave, but it sure is tempting for everyone else with some level of talent to try and milk out the maximum offer they can get, which is higher than normal right now.

And in corporate America, when the new hire makes more than everybody else on the team, it often doesn't go well, even when they're an exceptional performer, because nobody that's put in the blood, sweat, and tears likes it when some sparkly new person shows up and makes bank without proving anything.

If my reading of the situation is right, Syracuse is like the company that's deciding they aren't going to play that game all the way. Yes, they'll bring talent in from outside, because they need talent and it's a viable channel. But they aren't going to overpay, and coming off the season they just did, they aren't going to risk blowing up chemistry by having new unknowns get NIL better than the guys that have already contributed to something. And that's a rough spot to be in when the NIL market is out of whack.

The one thing I do find funny is that not long sgo there was so much speculation that guys weren't really worth much more than their scholarship and NIL wouldn't equate to much. Well... we're seeing for a lot of guys that's not the case, and they're worth a whole lot more than their scholarship. Sure, the collectives have completely destroyed the ROI structures that would have given NIL some guard rails, but still, here we are.
I just hired a new person on my team that makes $100k more than another at the same title. It was completely worth it. Now the other person doesn’t know that and likely won’t find out, but I really don’t care even if they did.

I just hired a new person on my team that makes $100k more than another at the same title. It was completely worth it. Now the other person doesn’t know that and likely won’t find out, but I really don’t care even if they did.
Huzzah!

And it appears lots of programs are going that way.

I'm saying, doesn't appear Syracuse is.

The good part is we are not doomed. Part of being a HC in the NIL era is going out into the community and raising funds yourself. Relationships with donors is extremely important. I think this has to be prioritized more next year.

I hate comparing football and basketball but HCFB did an excellent job at doing exactly this.
Yes. But…I surmise that Fran has access to juice that Red doesn’t. We didn’t go from 0 to 100 in football recruiting because we engaged more donors and improved the philosophy and messaging.

Most of the football NIL has come via the football only collective and the almost all football collective.

What I meant was the people in the community that are now giving to the football collective that since they are now giving to the football only collective they will not be giving to the basketball collective. Hence HCFB went in the community and took all the potential NIL business and swung them to the football only collective. Not saying HCFB took money from the collective more that he took potential donors and swayed them to football only.

Yes. But…I surmise that Fran has access to juice that Red doesn’t. We didn’t go from 0 to 100 in football recruiting because we engaged more donors and improved the philosophy and messaging.
Juice in what sense

Well yes, I think we all know there are more football donors. But building a football team costs a lot more money. This is why I don't like comparing the two (even though I did lol).

Last edited:
It seems crystal clear that a large part of what we are witnessing with the football program is due to Fran Brown the person. He is a unicorn. He is the driving force that resonates with the players, recruits, their parents, and the staff.

To be clear, I'm not saying that NIL is not a factor. It is. But if we had the same NIL and a different coach I don't think the results would be the same.

Fran Brown is Lightening in a Bottle. Now "all" he has to do is win...

It seems crystal clear that a large part of what we are witnessing with the football program is due to Fran Brown the person. He is a unicorn. He is the driving force that resonates with the players, recruits, their parents, and the staff.

To be clear, I'm not saying that NIL is not a factor. It is. But if we had the same NIL and a different coach I don't think the results would be the same.

Fran Brown is Lightening in a Bottle. Now "all" he has to do is win...

Would also like to say there has been a better commitment by the University to get him the assistant coaches and support staff upgrades he wanted as well.

Wasn't this JB's task as special assistant to the AD? He should have plenty of juice to engage plenty of people/orgs/companies.

Would also like to say there has been a better commitment by the University to get him the assistant coaches and support staff upgrades he wanted as well.
True. And Fran is the driving force behind that, as well. They believe in him and his vision AND have an obvious vested interest in making Syracuse relevant again.