Post game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post game thoughts

jekelish

Living Legend
That was not a good game. I don't think I've ever seen us struggle so mightily in every single facet, yet still somehow come away with a win.

We couldn't shoot. We couldn't defend. We couldn't rebound. We couldn't hit free throws. Yet somehow, we won. Unbelievable, and I'd almost say undeserved. It was just ugly all around, but I guess at the end of the day a win is a win, even if it's a win you don't ever want to watch again.

http://.com/silent-g-gets-loud-in-crunch-time-against-hokies/

That was not a good game. I don't think I've ever seen us struggle so mightily in every single facet, yet still somehow come away with a win.

We couldn't shoot. We couldn't defend. We couldn't rebound. We couldn't hit free throws. Yet somehow, we won. Unbelievable, and I'd almost say undeserved. It was just ugly all around, but I guess at the end of the day a win is a win, even if it's a win you don't ever want to watch again.

http://.com/silent-g-gets-loud-in-crunch-time-against-hokies/

I was just thinking that I have no idea how that happened but I'm not sure I want to watch it again to find out.

"There was a little bit of good, but mostly bad, that we can talk about when it comes to this game. Before the game, I had wondered if the eight day layoff would be too long, and the Orange would come out with a week’s worth of rust to shake off. Turns out that was an insult to rust, because the first 35 minutes or so saw Syracuse playing about as poorly as they have all year."

Suck it, rust!

Wait a minute! I think we did play great defense, got many steals, but just couldn't convert. Or was that only the first half? I am dizzy with the roller coaster of that game! I guess I'll have to watch it again so I can see what I just saw.

Wait a minute! I think we did play great defense, got many steals, but just couldn't convert. Or was that only the first half? I am dizzy with the roller coaster of that game! I guess I'll have to watch it again so I can see what I just saw.
Well, we did get steals, but steals do not equal good defense. Our rotations were pretty abysmal, and we left the middle of the paint wide open and got absolutely picked apart for most of the game.

Well, we did get steals, but steals do not equal good defense. Our rotations were pretty abysmal, and we left the middle of the paint wide open and got absolutely picked apart for most of the game.
Oh, okay. I just remember being impressed with the steals and frustrated with often not getting any points from them. I defer to your wisdom, dear Jekelish! Too tired to think . . . .

Oh, okay. I just remember being impressed with the steals and frustrated with often not getting any points from them. I defer to your wisdom, dear Jekelish! Too tired to think . . . .
Ha! Oh, I was very happy with the steals. The problem with steals, and blocks, for that matter, is that they're stats that often mask defensive deficiencies (and when it comes to blocks, rebounding deficiencies since going for - and missing - a block often leaves a defender out of position for a rebound).

We left corners open to collapse into the key, especially Kaleb. Those mistakes almost cost us the game. However, we had to leave the middle open in order to extend the zone. it was a trade-off; not a mistake.

We left corners open to collapse into the key, especially Kaleb. Those mistakes almost cost us the game. However, we had to leave the middle open in order to extend the zone. it was a trade-off; not a mistake.
I think it was a mistake to over-extend the zone, is the thing. Especially once you start getting absolutely killed from that spot, you HAVE to make an adjustment to take that away. I know I'm not alone in thinking we were over-extended, either. Welsh mentioned it during the broadcast, and DC tweeted about it during the game also.

I'm agreeing with you on why it wound up being open, by the way. But I wish we had adjusted accordingly once it became clear they were going to make a living at that spot.

Winning is like pizza and s3x; even when it's not great, it's still enjoyable for most.

It's kind of nice that this type of performance came when it did instead of against a different opponent. The undersized and over matched opponent may have given us a bit of a vaccine with their coach's good effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom