Postgame Thoughts… Colgate | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Colgate

Colgate looked like a well coached, fundamentally sound team. One that practices. We looked like a bunch of guys playing pickup at the Y.

Colgate is the better team and currently better program.
Facts My sons high school team looks more organized

7 man rotation is coming.

People will say 8 because Bell continues to get token starts.

But we all know it's going to be 7.
It is and the most ready Freshman class that JB was so high on will have one guy getting minutes.

What makes this so frustrating is that all losses aren't created equal. Like sometimes good teams lose to bad teams in a flukey way just based on luck/randomization.

That isn't what transpired at all last night. We were dominated basically for 40 minutes. They built a double digit lead in the first half and literally never allowed us to go on a run one single time.

100%.

Short rotations don’t bother me, but I crack up when I read the inevitable “guys, we’ll go 9 deep this year” assurances.

Yeah I don't mind that.

These guys have basically only played man defense in their lives, and none of them will likely be around long enough to learn the older version of what used to be an excellent zone. Just go out there and man up.

What makes this so frustrating is that all losses aren't created equal. Like sometimes good teams lose to bad teams in a flukey way just based on luck/randomization.

That isn't what transpired at all last night. We were dominated basically for 40 minutes. They built a double digit lead in the first half and literally never allowed us to go on a run one single time.

We got beat down on both ends of the floor. Your point is an important one, this wasn't a fluke. This was a straight up beating from coaching to execution on both ends.

Agreed, but that was on Jesse last night. He fumbled so many passes and rebounds it was like watching Chukwu all over again.
Regardless of why or how, if he's only getting 6 shots off we are in big trouble. We will lose when he gets 10+ shots off too, but it's substantially more likely in the single digits.

Jesse isnt playing well. He is super soft kid just doesnt like to bang

We got beat down on both ends of the floor. Your point is an important one, this wasn't a fluke. This was a straight up beating from coaching to execution on both ends.
A rough metaphor is the 2004 Dream Team. Like on paper we have more talent and should be beating these mid-major (i.e. European) teams, but we lost simply because of superior coaching and execution.

I had my worries about man to man after how it looked in the scrimmages/first game, but if we stayed in man last night it would not have been such a beat down. They were draining threes by exploiting the zone just like last year. Not returning to man after we already introduced the concept with this team is so freaking stupid. Just watched as they made wide open three after wide open three. If we stayed in man the fact that we have better athletes than Colgate would have actually worked in our favor. They weren't crossing our guys up and getting open looks in the opening man to man minutes. There would have been a guy in their faces on most of those threes. That is 1000% percent on the coach. He just has to go as soon as possible.

best 5 to win games
Jesse
Joe
Mintz
benny
Cope

Jesse isnt playing well. He is super soft kid just doesnt like to bang
he's the same guy that was there last season who played nearly 30 mpg and scored 12 while blocking a pile of shots and had the highest PER on the team by a lot. He hasn't changed, but he's not going to get a lot of good looks when the opposition is double and triple teaming him in the paint and he's getting passes at his ankles from guards who penetrate with no idea about what they're going to do.

play man full court. not a press but full court. Dont make it easy for them to get into their O
deny the ball to the two shooters. Over play them. Its not hard

I can’t believe I thought we’d actually do the smart thing and play man to man.

We would’ve had a much better chance to win if we did.
Why practice man-to-man if you're not going to use it when a team is abusing the zone?
Again, the worst that could happen is that you'll lose badly.
But that's already happening.

Well that was a fun season.
Are we going to be Colgate's homecoming game next year?
To quote the Rocky IV announcer, what started out as a joke has turned into a disaster.

Cope is not better than Symir. Cope did nothing yesterday.
Then pull Joe and put in Sy. Joe did nothing but chuck yesterday. JB actually said he took i think 7 poor shots. He plays no D.

Joe did nothing but chuck yesterday.
I have no problem if Joe is fully squared up and just misses. That's simply being a human being. What I can't deal with are his off-balance/contorted nonsense shots, of which there were several last night.

Can anyone explain why Girard was on the bench in the last 5 minutes when he's our only proven shooter? Bizarre. He has to be hurt or something, What
he was playing horribly

he was playing horribly
He was playing horribly, but when you are down 12-14 points with a couple minutes left you have to have a guy who can shoot a 3 out there. Should have at least put Bell back in at small forward or something.

who's first off the bench? dave johnson or joe girard ?
Dave Johnson and it isn't even close, Johnson was a 1st round draft pick.
You also had Leron Ellis and a few other people who came off the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom