Postgame Thoughts… FSU game 2 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU game 2

it's easier for the "JB is the program" crowd to shift focus to other posters, rather than honestly discuss and examine the state of the program, and the reasons for the same.

Speaking of which, where is the "JB is the program" crowd?
almost on cue...
I have to laugh. Just as a point I've been following SU basketball since 1958. I used be on the boards all the time but I moved away from Syracuse and live in Baltimore now. Nothing has changed. Even some of the same people are here bad-mouthing Boeheim. Carry on.

I have to laugh. Just as a point I've been following SU basketball since 1958. I used be on the boards all the time but I moved away from Syracuse and live in Baltimore now. Nothing has changed. Even some of the same people are here bad-mouthing Boeheim. Carry on.
Real fans stay—wherever they live—and deal. Just sayin'.
Friendly greetings from 2,700 miles away from Syracuse. Not just 330. Were you getting those pesky long distance charges on your internet?

:)

wslr8.jpg

I've defended JB on these boards when people try to downplay his career accomplishments in various ways. I've defended JB for decades when I lived in SEC and Big 12 country when it definitely wasn't popular to do so.

But if you can't tell that things are heading in the wrong direction and it's time for a change, then I have to question what you are watching.

it's easier for the "JB is the program" crowd to shift focus to other posters, rather than honestly discuss and examine the state of the program, and the reasons for the same.

Speaking of which, where is the "JB is the program" crowd?

The same place the "Fire the Coach" crowd is after a win.

Something I've noticed that Cole Swider does and he has to take advantage of it. Whenever he pump fakes from 3, he gets his defender in the air coming at him and he just pulls the ball down and doesn't try to draw the foul. The defender almost has to bite on the fake because he is so tall and has a high release point that if they don't, he would have an open shot right over the top of them. He needs to complete the play and draw contact and throw the ball up, maybe he gets some and has a chance for a 4 point play, but at least he will get 3 foul shots and get the other team in foul trouble.

JB was screaming for a foul on Jimmy’s last shot. There was none. He wouldn’t have made the foul shots anyway.
He screams for a foul practically every time Jimmy or Buddy miss a shot.
On the whole I thought the team played pretty well yesterday. Thought Swider played one of his best games in Orange. I notice our scoring lulls are generally when we stop passing the ball to Jesse for long periods. I can't remember seeing a guy get a higher percentage of his shots blocked as Torrence.

Hold on vs. Wake and Jimmy makes that shot vs. FSU and we could have been that 5-2 team.
If you going to go what if mine as well go back to 1987.
What if Frank doesn’t hit 4 FTs or Joe hits the shot from the logo at FSU.

You are what your record says.

If you going to go what if mine as well go back to 1987.
What if Frank doesn’t hit 4 FTs or Joe hits the shot from the logo at FSU.

You are what your record says.

We have been what our record says we are. The future is unwritten.

Hold on vs. Wake and Jimmy makes that shot vs. FSU and we could have been that 5-2 team.
Dude. You’re The Statistics Guy. People citing “What ifs” should give you bowel discomfort.

Good grief there’s a lot of suck in this conference.

That's why, a couple weeks ago, I posted that I thought this team could go on a 5 game winning streak. The competition is not that tough this year.

This team, very surprisingly to me, does not execute well at all down the stretch. I cannot believe that we are 1-5 in games decided by 5 points or less. I mean, we have TWO coach's kids in the starting lineup!

Turn those numbers around (closer to our historical average under JB) and this team would be 13-4, and we would be feeling a lot better about things right now, despite the handful of non-conference blowouts.

That's why, a couple weeks ago, I posted that I thought this team could go on a 5 game winning streak. The competition is not that tough this year.

This team, very surprisingly to me, does not execute well at all down the stretch. I cannot believe that we are 1-5 in games decided by 5 points or less. I mean, we have TWO coach's kids in the starting lineup!

Turn those numbers around (closer to our historical average under JB) and this team would be 13-4, and we would be feeling a lot better about things right now, despite the handful of non-conference blowouts.
What about the games we won by five points or fewer? FlaState and Indiana. Can’t the other teams say the same thing? Not sure we can/should use historical averages to this era. The past doesn’t seem to apply.

That said, sure, we could win five straight. There is still headroom on this team.

What about the games we won by five points or fewer? FlaState and Indiana. Can’t the other teams say the same thing? Not sure we can/should use historical averages to this era. The past doesn’t seem to apply.

That said, sure, we could win five straight. There is still headroom on this team.

I think it was Jake who found a chart back at the beginning of the season. It showed an axis that was all-time wins and losses in games decided by 5 points of less. And it plotted the spots of lots and lots of coaches, even historical ones, if I recall correctly. And a HUGE outlier, way up and above most of the other dots, was JB. One of the very best all time in close games. It has been like his super power over the years.

I think it was Jake who found a chart back at the beginning of the season. It showed an axis that was all-time wins and losses in games decided by 5 points of less. And it plotted the spots of lots and lots of coaches, even historical ones, if I recall correctly. And a HUGE outlier, way up and above most of the other dots, was JB. One of the very best all time in close games. It has been like his super power over the years.
No, i get that. Not disputing that stuff. Just suggesting that the level of those teams' quality is far and above this one's. From my perspective, it's the players that execute the close game stuff. Not JB calling plays every time down and then re-calling plays based on results such as contingencies or offensive rebounds or whatever. Basically, historically, we've had top 20 teams. If they were great at late game stuff, that doesn't apply to this year. Unless you credit JAB for making those plays more than i do.

The other thing, though, and this is why i was always a bit skeptical of that particular 'stat,' is that maybe you shouldn't have been in such a tight spot in the first place. If you have a top 10 team and allow an unranked team to stay in a game and then you pull it out at the end—i don't think you should get a lot of credit for that.

A forward should get the ball in the paint in post position. We have 35 - 45 years of forwards we'd want with that shot. Sadly the guy who got it turned the wrong way. It was weird.
IM: No argument here.
The guys on the wing are as slow as we are. With this crew I'd best trust the guy closest to the tin.
IM: This is true, as well.
In the Wake game, for as ugly as that was, Buddy has to have the sense to block out the defender coming from behind him. That was ridiculous (and I agree that ball should've gone downcourt).

IM: Oh, I agree. Execution by the Boeheims on the defensive end has been a bit of a problem.

But does he have Dolph Schayes’ autograph?
I've cried two times including since I was 12. Once was when the Nats announced they were moving to Philly. I loved going to the War Memorial. I had a GE clock radio and I'd listen to Jim McKechnie call the games when I was supposed tp be doing homework.

"Schayes puts up a thirty foot set shot. YES YES YES indubitably!"

"Here come the bad guys in green and the good guys in white."

I was convinced Jim somehow controlled who was going win by some mysterious means. I well remember the season we won every home game against the Celtics and lost every game at the Garden. We played one on a neutral court in Providence, and beat them, when Connie Dierking replaced Kerr and had a monster night shooting sweeping hooks against Russell.

You could go to a game for a buck if you wanted to sit on the stage but we always opted for the buck and a quarter end. What did a buck and a quarter get you? A double header with the rookie the Big O in the opener, and the Nats beating Jerry West and Elgin Baylor in the night cap. In that one, the Nats were down by one with ten seconds left and the ball. Alex Hanum called a play where Kerr took a pass at the top of the key, then Costello and Greer split the post, but neither got open, so Kerr turned toward the basket and buried a one hand set shot.

I can't remember where I parked my car but I'll never forget the Nats.

Your turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom