Postgame Thoughts… FSU game 2 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU game 2

I've cried two times including since I was 12. Once was when the Nats announced they were moving to Philly. I loved going to the War Memorial. I had a GE clock radio and I'd listen to Jim McKechnie call the games when I was supposed tp be doing homework.

"Schayes puts up a thirty foot set shot. YES YES YES indubitably!"

"Here come the bad guys in green and the good guys in white."

I was convinced Jim somehow controlled who was going win by some mysterious means. I well remember the season we won every home game against the Celtics and lost every game at the Garden. We played one on a neutral court in Providence, and beat them, when Connie Dierking replaced Kerr and had a monster night shooting sweeping hooks against Russell.

You could go to a game for a buck if you wanted to sit on the stage but we always opted for the buck and a quarter end. What did a buck and a quarter get you? A double header with the rookie the Big O in the opener, and the Nats beating Jerry West and Elgin Baylor in the night cap. In that one, the Nats were down by one with ten seconds left and the ball. Alex Hanum called a play where Kerr took a pass at the top of the key, then Costello and Greer split the post, but neither got open, so Kerr turned toward the basket and buried a one hand set shot.

I can't remember where I parked my car but I'll never forget the Nats.

Your turn.

The whole series can be found on pages 63 and 62 of the "Other Sports" archive:

Dude. You’re The Statistics Guy. People citing “What ifs” should give you bowel discomfort.

Statistics can tell what if as well as what was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom