Postgame Thoughts… Monmouth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Monmouth

What the hell is this shuffleboard on ice, with teapots or something? Terrible. Talk more about food and beer.

Copeland did not do much in the short time he was on the floor BUT the big thing was he played with much more control than the last game. Just like the performance Brown gave us tonight with more minutes, lets hope Copeland will get a great opportunity to play in the next 1 or 2 games.

After the Colgate and Bryant debacles you would think we’d learn you can’t sleep walk yourself through a game but at least came to play in the second half.

Liking what I’m seeing from Benny, a lot more confident out there. Brown has a real settling presence.

Gotta be ready to go Saturday. Cornell put up 105 on Miami in regulation this year.

Monmouth played realllllly dirty. They had a couple dozen fouls, the one technical and arguably should've had another on the play when Benny got undercut. Just completely undisciplined and seemingly by design. I wish it had been the wire-to-wire blowout that Vegas expected, but we still won handily and got out of it with no injuries and everyone keeping their cool so I'm happy.

Okay, here were my pregame desires.

- A win, obviously. The most important thing.
- To that point, I want a blow out. Get up 15-2. Don't let up. Win by 30. Give the walk-ons another 5' to miss everything.
- 20' max from Jesse, Judah, Joe.
- 4 combined threes from Taylor and Bell.
- Double double from Benny.
- At least a 2-1 A/TO ratio.
- 4 blocks from Hima.
- Copeland to not turn the ball over in the time he sees.
- A lot of Brown.

We didn’t see all of that, though luckily we did see point 1. But SU won the soccer title. And Jesse is also 7’4” and unlike a creature that roamed the planet 150 million years ago, Jesse is very much alive and thriving.

Pretty good 2nd half. Maliq Brown showed that he deserves time. Bell hit a couple three's, but not much else. JBA was helpful to our flow and our defensive organization, but not as impactful as the last 2 or 3 games, especially after starting the 2nd half.

Benny had a big bounce-back 2nd half, after watching Brown hit 4 of 5 from the field, get a breakaway dunk, a couple rebounds, and basically make the right play, time after time, all in the first half.

Mintz with a great 2nd half, too. Solid win. Guys are still learning how to play.

Even though this team was only 1-9 coming in, this is the kind of game that proves that any opponent in a live game is a tougher opponent than playing against your teammates in practice.

Maliq Brown apparently isn't showing Boeheim enough in practice, but he is CERTAINLY doing it during games. You can't continue to sit the kid. He HAS to be part of the rotation.

Copeland did not do much in the short time he was on the floor BUT the big thing was he played with much more control than the last game. Just like the performance Brown gave us tonight with more minutes, lets hope Copeland will get a great opportunity to play in the next 1 or 2 games.

I noticed that, too. Good call.

Who did Justin Taylor piss off to ride the bench today

He didn't do that much when he was in there. Girard had a decent game, so the need for Taylor was not as high.

Plus Maliq Brown had a great game tonight (11 pts, 7 rebounds), and played 24 minutes. Not enough time left for Justin to get a run out tonight.

He didn't do that much when he was in there. Girard had a decent game, so the need for Taylor was not as high.

Plus Maliq Brown had a great game tonight (11 pts, 7 rebounds), and played 24 minutes. Not enough time left for Justin to get a run out tonight.
Girard should have gotten the bench for his defense. Taylor could have played a bit up top with Judah

Girard should have gotten the bench for his defense. Taylor could have played a bit up top with Judah

I agree. Joe had a few lazy moments on defense. Taylor could have played a bit more, to keep Joe in line.

But after Joe just had that slump, I think Boeheim wants to give him some rope to get his offense going again. We're going to need him to be productive most nights if we want to win games.

This team needs 5 or more guys contributing to beat an opponent on most nights.

He played two minutes lol

Happy for the win but wish there were positive takeaways with this one.
Maliq Brown always performing well when called upon is bound to earn him more minutes. Love his maturity.
So true on brown. For all the hand-wringing and whining about guys like goodine, Benny and many others — when brown gets opps he is ready. That will earn him more chances if I had to guess. Some of those dudes got waaayyy more minutes but we’re never ready to produce. Good for Brown and I agree, let the man eat!!

Not basketball related but:

Stay up late, call in sick tomorrow, whatever have you-- but do everything in your power to get your butts over to the Lally Complex to give the boys a nice homecoming. they've worked extremely hard this season and deserve it!!
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

So true on brown. For all the hand-wringing and whining about guys like goodine, Benny and many others — when brown gets opps he is ready. That will earn him more chances if I had to guess. Some of those dudes got waaayyy more minutes but we’re never ready to produce. Good for Brown and I agree, let the man eat!!
Meh for every Goodine and Benny, there’s Jesse, Grant, and uhh other guys

Who did Justin Taylor piss off to ride the bench today
Hear what you are saying but JB is totally out of his norm playing more than 7 players. He did get 12 in today and today Taylor cot the short stick along with Hima and Copeland. Problem is I think he went a bit too long with Jesse, Joe and Mintz. Give the bench a chance to play. Not complaining, just looking for a bit more PT for a few.

A lot of teams have struggled against this team so the 1-9 record is a tad deceiving. They make shots, and they can really get after it on both ends. Also, King Rice is from Binghamton. We beat a really good team that hung on as long as they could, but ultimately just lacks experience.

We're looking more and more like a S16 squad! LGO!!!!
I hate that Monmouth team. They fouled our players multiple times on every single possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom