Postgame Thoughts… Monmouth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Monmouth

I hate that Monmouth team. They fouled our players multiple times on every single possession.
Hear you but what else can you do when you are 4 to 5 inches shorter across the board.....except for Joe's man

The disappointment so far is Bell. If he would have played well we would be a different team. Hes not shooting well and as JB points out is a terrible rebounder.
As myself and many have pointed out we just dont have a good forward combo yet.
Bol Benny Bell Brown Taylor are all one dimensional players.
I expect that we will see musical chairs all season as i doubt any one combination is going to click.
At a minimum Bol and Benny or Brown and Benny give us size and rebounding. Taylor is really a 2 but can play the 3 but hes a liability on the back line on D.
If Benny can continue to find an O game i think we will see more of Brown. Jims got his work cut out for him.

The disappointment so far is Bell. If he would have played well we would be a different team. Hes not shooting well and as JB points out is a terrible rebounder.
I expect that we will see musical chairs all season as i doubt any one combination is going to click.
At a minimum Bol and Benny or Brown and Benny give us size and rebounding. Taylor is really a 2 but can play the 3 but hes a liability on the back line on D.
If Benny can continue to find an O game i think we will see more of Brown. Jims got his work cut out for him.

You're absolutely right. That's why this shouldn't be a 7 man team.

Between those 5 forwards, we get: 3 point shooting (in theory) from Bell, midrange game from Benny, rebounding from Brown, high-low passing and challenging shots / interior defense from JBA, and better shooting from Taylor.

When none of your guys are complete players, you have to play more of them to get (1) what each has to offer, (2) to make up all that you need from the position. I think Boeheim's been doing that better and better these past few games.

Meh for every Goodine and Benny, there’s Jesse, Grant, and uhh other guys
I’m not saying you can’t ever complain. There are certainly instances that make you scratch your head. Jesse is one, I agree. JG certainly could have played more but played in all 40 games, started 9 — but went for 4 ppg, 3.4 rpg on 42% in 19 mpg in those 9 — and averaged 14 mpg on a team that went 30-10. I mean, ok, he probably could have played more but he didn’t exactly ride the pine all year. I don’t know, I’m fine with deferring to JB on that one.

whatever, there are instances where JB could have played talented kids more, earlier. But the amount of crying over Goodine, Frank and Benny (who is still trying to figure stuff out) drove me insane. You want to play? Do something when you get the chance. I know it’s hard but it’s kinda the way it works, at least under JB.

I’m saying if you never produce in the minutes you get, no one should be here pining for you to play more. Maybe it’s not even fair, I don’t know. I just know being ready when your number is called is all you can control. I actually think Taylor and Bell will need to drum up a bit of consistent production at some point soon or they may find themselves struggling to find minutes. Maybe it’s one guy falls out and Brown gets those mins or maybe it’s matchup dependent — but I’m pretty sure Brown is making JB think about how he’s got things set up at the moment.

I’m not saying you can’t ever complain. There are certainly instances that make you scratch your head. Jesse is one, I agree. JG certainly could have played more but played in all 40 games, started 9 — but went for 4 ppg, 3.4 rpg on 42% in 19 mpg in those 9 — and averaged 14 mpg on a team that went 30-10. I mean, ok, he probably could have played more but he didn’t exactly ride the pine all year. I don’t know, I’m fine with deferring to JB on that one.

whatever, there are instances where JB could have played talented kids more, earlier. But the amount of crying over Goodine, Frank and Benny (who is still trying to figure stuff out) drove me insane. You want to play? Do something when you get the chance. I know it’s hard but it’s kinda the way it works, at least under JB.

I’m saying if you never produce in the minutes you get, no one should be here pining for you to play more. Maybe it’s not even fair, I don’t know. I just know being ready when your number is called is all you can control. I actually think Taylor and Bell will need to drum up a bit of consistent production at some point soon or they may find themselves struggling to find minutes. Maybe it’s one guy falls out and Brown gets those mins or maybe it’s matchup dependent — but I’m pretty sure Brown is making JB think about how he’s got things set up at the moment.
Grant only started to play because Southerland got suspended.

I don’t believe Brown play vs a Monmouth type matters. The mins are set. As they were 2 years ago.

We’ll see

You're absolutely right. That's why this shouldn't be a 7 man team.

Between those 5 forwards, we get: 3 point shooting (in theory) from Bell, midrange game from Benny, rebounding from Brown, high-low passing and challenging shots / interior defense from JBA, and better shooting from Taylor.

When none of your guys are complete players, you have to play more of them to get (1) what each has to offer, (2) to make up all that you need from the position. I think Boeheim's been doing that better and better these past few games.
Spot on. There is really only 2 spots that are solid. Jesse and maybe Mintz. Every other spot should be determined based on each game. Some games Symir will shine, anyone of the forwards...
I think it goes like this all year.

Grant only started to play because Southerland got suspended.

I don’t believe Brown play vs a Monmouth type matters. The mins are set. As they were 2 years ago.

We’ll see
i suppose but southern and was a senior who averaged 13.5 and 5 on 40% shooting from 3. Grant put up 4 and 3 as a starter and still averaged like 14/15 mpg in the other 31 games. Coulda played more but I hardly find that egregious.

But, I’m also with you. Monmouth is Monmouth. I just think we are dying for consistent wing production. Bell has some moments. Taylor has some moments. Benny has gotten better. But the way brown played in a tight game is different than I’ve seen from any of those three.

That said, agreed. Rotation may be set.

Bell is very athletically limited. Why this isn’t noticed by more ? I’ll leave you to guess as to why. He’s VERY athletically limited

Maliq Brown had 9 in the first half. Finished with double figures, and no Playas re run for him. He just gets buckets. Efficient as all get out. And he’s not even as strong or explosive as he could be. He just ‘has a knack.’ Deciding on his minutes—yeah, he doesn’t have a jumper, but you can pretty reliably pencil him in for 10+ points in 25 minutes. Whereas with Bell, you might get 10 points on a mix of some threes and some air balls, and you might get 0 on just air balls. I kinda favor the more reliable points, combined with rebounds.

Jesse, as good as he is, is just not strong. Doesn‘t look like he even lifts, bro. He ‘lopes’ and stumbles around in the paint. Plenty of headroom on his game. I want to see the next level for him, but I fear a plateau.

That Collins kid…. As soon as I started wondering about how he might fit in with us, taking over for Joe as a transfer, he has a couple of undercut moves that soured me. One could be called incidental. The other… maybe, but that‘s still two. Uncool. But he’s a freshman. Solid, tough player.

Benny…. Speaking for all of us[!], Benny right now is at the level we expected him to be as a freshman. He’s coming along, and it’s good to see the talent realized. The jumper is still flat, but it’s true, so…. He’s active. As the announcers kept pointing out, his reactions are “mature.” Lots to like. Not a dud. It was a 1-9 Monmouth team, but the signs are still there.

Judah still reminds me of a rough-hewn Kenny Anderson. Not nearly as smooth. But the moves, and the posture are the same. Still lots of room for improvement, and yet he can still put up 20 without us feeling like he’s pressing too much or forcing things.

Very difficult to get consistency from the non-core players when they don’t have consistent minutes or even contiguous stretches on the court. Justin gets 25 and then he’s a ghost. Brown had approx 13 tonight and maybe we barely see him the next game. JB is giving JBA run, but he got pulled pretty quickly, just after he had a beautiful 3-play sequence. JBA sometimes does obvious good things and sometimes not so obvious good things. He’s the quickest, most intense close out defender. He fights for boards, and even if he doesn’t get them, he’ll be part of the reason why a teammate gets them. I think he could be a good player. I hope he is expanding his own expectations.

All that said, and we still were uncomfortably neck-and-neck with a 1-9 Monmouth for 2/3 of the game. Not great.

Who’s next?

That Collins kid…. As soon as I started wondering about how he might fit in with us, taking over for Joe as a transfer, he has a couple of undercut moves that soured me. One could be called incidental. The other… maybe, but that‘s still two. Uncool. But he’s a freshman. Solid, tough player.
Refs don't give a technical on that play against Benny and he tries again against Judi. Total BS. Stop scheduling these punk teams with punk coaches.

Hear what you are saying but JB is totally out of his norm playing more than 7 players. He did get 12 in today and today Taylor cot the short stick along with Hima and Copeland. Problem is I think he went a bit too long with Jesse, Joe and Mintz. Give the bench a chance to play. Not complaining, just looking for a bit more PT for a few.
I believe he has an injured finger

When Taylor is back healthy I would like to see him get some run at the 2. No matter how bad he is at the top of the zone he can't be worse on that side of the court than JG3 it is impossible.

Monmouth is terrible. This team was trailing a bottom third team in the NCAA with 15 minutes left. Really, really scary.

When Taylor is back healthy I would like to see him get some run at the 2. No matter how bad he is at the top of the zone he can't be worse on that side of the court than JG3 it is impossible.
Taylor is injured?

A few thoughts:
-I hated JB's presser. What is the point in singling guys out and embarrassing them? You don't see other coaches do that. It will bite us in the arse in recruiting and the portal if it hasn't already.
-Joe made some selfish plays including a ridiculous spinerama one on three and played lousy defense and yet he was singled out for good play. SMDH
-Maliq isn't ready? He certainly looks more ready to rebound and play defense than JBA and really all of our other forwards.
-As soon as I issue a mea culpa on JBA he turns in a horrendous night, He just does not rebound and defend to the level we need.
-Benny seems like a nice kid and I desperately want him to succeed. He had some really impressive offensive flashes last night. But he still won't go to the basket and he has no rebounding instincts. He never gets a body on someone and as a result loses out on boards he should get. I think the Damone Brown comparison thread makes a good and intriguing point and as i said in the game thread, if he had come in with less fanfare we would be a lot more excited about his progress from year 1 to year 2.
-Nice to see Judah making free throws. His ability to get to the basket is superb and it was nice to see him look good stroking a three last night.
-We know Bell can't rebound. Maybe he is a 2?
-Jesse played 39 minutes which is insane for a big man. Hima showed against Georgetown he can hold the fort and get Jesse a breather. Just poor coaching and a disservice to both players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom