Postgame Thoughts... BC (game 2) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... BC (game 2)

The fight was brought to him right? He’s allowed to defend himself and present the truth as he sees it.

Just look at Fly Rodder’s post to me. I mean, good god, are ppl completely incapable of having a back and forth without it being perceived as all out war on eachother?

I don’t get it. I find the whole thing hateful.
In the post game presser? How was the fight brought to him?

He made a point to call out only the missed defensive assignments of kadary and pointed out his +/- he never did for any player this year.
It is pretty easy to feel he did that because of the fanbase’s calling for Kadary to play more.

The trouble I have is all the hypothetical coaching going on and how to apply it fairly.

Like, when certain people have bad stats, you apply hypotheticals to show their numbers would be better if they did better. And thus have to play more to avoid missing out on the hypothetical good that may follow the actual bad.

When other people have bad stats, you point them out as the reason they have to sit. Hypothetical decision making is very confusing!!!!

The Jets won a game last season and they were terrible. You must not watch much sports if you don't think a wounded underdog can be dangerous.
They stink and are one of the worst teams we’ve played, and it was an expected and basically required victory. Just stop.

They stink and are one of the worst teams we’ve played, and it was an expected and basically required victory. Just stop.
They have some players that could play or start on a lot of teams, OK.

They have some players that could play or start on a lot of teams, OK.

source.gif.cf.gif

Last edited:
this is objectively true, but I find it unsavory. It basically establishes that the purpose of all these players (and college coaches) is to fool the NBA into drafting and paying people who are frauds. Who don’t really have the chops to cut it but can somehow win the lottery and trick an NBA team into paying them. I’m going to suggest that to someone who has taken up coaching at the college level as their life’s work, this concept is repugnant. JB presumably is one of those people. I don’t believe he is trying to trash any player or sabotage their chances at success in the pros, he is answering questions about said chances to the best of his abilities given the current manifestation of that player. Realistically, he has generally been fairly accurate in those assessments with his notable miss being Grant. Calipari would try to help a player trick or scam their way to a one time windfall of cash in the NBA, but I don’t get the feeling JB is wired that way. Yes, it is certainly something that can be exploited by outside entities like you see in this thread and he should be aware of that and do a better job. Communication with the media and other outside entities has always been a severe weakness for him and it has certainly hurt his program over the years.

I find myself agreeing a lot with this sentiment. That being said, who out there wouldn't take the money and run if given to them in such a way...meaning potential vs. productivity. It would be somewhat similar to landing your first real/career type job out of college, and after just several months or so of experience, somehow landing an executive type position you weren't really qualified for. All because of the alleged "potential" vs. actually accomplishing anything of significance/substance. After just a short time of realizing you didn't have what it took to warrant such a level, etc., guess what, you still get to keep those stock options handed to you that were worth hundreds of thousands/a few mil.

The ASSUMPTION that keeps being made is - IF these kids stayed in school for another year, they'd somehow be more ready to play Pro ball.
Because - reasons. :rolleyes:

And that is specious, at best.

But this is what I'm talking about. Do you really think that JB believes he has no impact on the improvement of his players? Or that he understands what success at the pro level might require and the likelihood that a given player could improve in those areas?

I didn't say: "College definitely helps a person improve their draft stock."

I said "JB believes he can help develop basketball players into better players who would have a higher chance at success in the pros."

I don't imagine any of us would be very happy with a coach who DIDN'T believe that. I don't think the players would be happy with that either. JB has devoted his life to this game and to the people who play it. He is an educator. If he were to dismiss his impact as you do, then he should hang it up (or rather should have hung it up 25 years ago).

I think what I have said explains WHY he reacts the way he does to the talk of early jumping to the NBA for borderline players.

You all have repeatedly made the point that to the outside world, and to the player himself, the way JB publicly comments on these things is badly missing the mark. And I agree. I just don't think there is malice in his words. Thats all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom