Postgame Thoughts... Bryant | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Bryant

I’m not sure what people were expecting this year from Joe.

Joe got Wide. Open. Looks last year because of Buddy and Cole. There was no way he was going to shoot 40% from three this year. It was shocking how many people predicted he would because it was his “natural position”. He’s simply too small to be a #1 option.

He’s now drawing the top perimeter defender. He’s going to have to shoot from the logo or take contested shots. There’s no one to worry about from deep other than Joe.

Taylor may help, and I really think Taylor will benefit more from them both being on the court at the same time. And I think It helped last night.

What I do find surprising is Joe’s repeated lack of hustle. It’s shocking how blatant it’s become. He sulks or whines after his mistakes.

As a fan, I can get past some of the physical mistakes, but the lack of effort is maddening.
Great post. He’s going to struggle to get shots all year. He’s going to be guarded all the time. You’re correct. I can live with missed shots, but his loafing has to be addressed by the coaching staff..

I’m not sure what people were expecting this year from Joe.

Joe got Wide. Open. Looks last year because of Buddy and Cole. There was no way he was going to shoot 40% from three this year. It was shocking how many people predicted he would because it was his “natural position”. He’s simply too small to be a #1 option.

He’s now drawing the top perimeter defender. He’s going to have to shoot from the logo or take contested shots. There’s no one to worry about from deep other than Joe.

Taylor may help, and I really think Taylor will benefit more from them both being on the court at the same time. And I think It helped last night.

What I do find surprising is Joe’s repeated lack of hustle. It’s shocking how blatant it’s become. He sulks or whines after his mistakes.

As a fan, I can get past some of the physical mistakes, but the lack of effort is maddening.

Good post but you are also leaving out that was a terrible team that couldn’t stop anyone and Joe is a large part of the problem. So, even if he gets open shots, he shouldn’t be a starter on a Syracuse team.

Great post. He’s going to struggle to get shots all year. He’s going to be guarded all the time. You’re correct. I can live with missed shots, but his loafing has to be addressed by the coaching staff..

They sat him twice for long stretches against Bryant.

As I look at the box score, it apparently wasn't as long on the bench as I thought. I guess it seemed like longer because Taylor and Torrence were in for so long.

Or, maybe, hear me out here, hear me out, OR... maybe he doesn't have to take those shots because those are bad shots.
Completely agree. But, there will be possessions where a forced Joe shot, will be the best shot we get…and that isn’t his fault.

Completely agree. But, there will be possessions where a forced Joe shot, will be the best shot we get…and that isn’t his fault.
With a PG who can beat guys off the dribble and hit contested shots, and a 7 foot senior center who can score….that’s just unacceptable to me.

There’s zero reason that with an offensively talented PG and C like that, that we have to rely on a 5’9 guard’s scrubby gunning.

With a PG who can beat guys off the dribble and hit contested shots, and a 7 foot senior center who can score….that’s just unacceptable to me.

There’s zero reason that with an offensively talented PG and C like that, that we have to rely on a 5’9 guard’s scrubby gunning.
And when Jessie is on the bench in foul trouble and Judah is getting break…or both are ineffective….

It’s going to happen more than it should , but it’s going to happen.

And when Jessie is on the bench in foul trouble and Judah is getting break…or both are ineffective….

It’s going to happen more than it should , but it’s going to happen.
You know….I’m ok with it in certain situations - foul trouble or Joe catching fire - which he will from time to time.

I just don’t understand why we need him in there going 1-12 for 30+ minutes. It’s not like we don’t have options. All of the freshman perimeter players have shown they can play a bit.

I’m anxious to see Taylor and Bell on the wings with Joe as the spark off the bench. That role is tailor made for how he wants to play anyway. Why fight it?

That 7 foot center needs to not get two cheap fouls before the first TV time out.

I didn't realize that Antwan Walker was kicked out of Georgetown. Not surprised at all, he carries himself like a low-character individual.
Bryant, the program that takes all the thugs it can get; even the Georgetown cast offs!

Thought it was on Walker for running to the bench after the call.
Whatever it was , was pretty weak given the score and time regaining.

You know….I’m ok with it in certain situations - foul trouble or Joe catching fire - which he will from time to time.

I just don’t understand why we need him in there going 1-12 for 30+ minutes. It’s not like we don’t have options. All of the freshman perimeter players have shown they can play a bit.

I’m anxious to see Taylor and Bell on the wings with Joe as the spark off the bench. That role is tailor made for how he wants to play anyway. Why fight it?
Can’t not play him almost 40 minutes because that would be a negative sign for the next patriot league caliber player we decide to recruit and hand a “license to choade” card .

Last edited:
particularly an inbounds play because apparently those are tremendously difficult situations to draw up something that works when the opponent plays defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom