Postgame thoughts... UNC | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... UNC

I don’t, unfortunately. He can defend at the wing, be active, etc...but the weak side rebound is there every time. He’s just not big enough

He’s reminding me a lot of when theyd stick Gbinije there.
uh 7+ rebounds/gm from your SF is actually quite good. not sure what you're watching, as CM4 notes above it's his being confused on defense that's the issue, not his rebounding. AG is actually an exceptional rebounder, esp for his size.

uh 7+ rebounds/gm from your SF is actually quite good. not sure what you're watching, as CM4 notes above it's his being confused on defense that's the issue, not his rebounding. AG is actually an exceptional rebounder, esp for his size.

you are counting his rebounds, I’m looking at the other teams offensive rebounds and our rebounding margin.

the key to rebounding in our zone has never been our center.
well agree to disagree.

I am fully on board team Kadary, but he was highly disappointing in his stretch of playing time in the second half, mainly on offense. Seemed to lack the confidence he has shown us as a pg in the Rutgers and Buffalo games. Never really tried to work his man 1 v 1, which we know he can do. At one point he was doing the Buddy Boeheim special of turning your back to the defender and slowly backing him down, but we know he is never taking a fade away mid range so what's the point? He's better than that! The stats reflect that lack of confidence. Only one assist when we know he is capable of plenty more. No points besides the open layup after the steal. He often looked lethargic. I don't care about the turnover at a crucial time because that was simply a mistake and it happens. It was everything else.

And I know it's just one play and that he is infinitely better than Girard on D, but that lay up at the end to put them up by 7. What the hell?? He catches up to the guy with an impressive sprint, is in perfect position to contest the shot, and at the crucial moment he does absolutely nothing. It wasn't one of their athletic guards either it was that girard sized white dude! Someone was saying that you don't want to risk a foul there, but what you really can't have is an uncontested layup to put them up by 7 with a minute to go. Uncontested layups go in a heck of a lot more than free throws. He can swat the crap out of a guy that size. Did he think that his footsteps would be enough to throw him off? Did he think Griffin was close enough to make the play? That's not enough for me. Kind of inexcusable. Watch the replay at the end of this vid and tell me I'm wrong.

Anyone else notice how rough Roy is lookin? Did he really have a trainer sitting behind him for when he falls over?
He was about to fall over because he was stunned how bad our center and guard play is. The lack of quickness and athleticism...

I am fully on board team Kadary, but he was highly disappointing in his stretch of playing time in the second half, mainly on offense. Seemed to lack the confidence he has shown us as a pg in the Rutgers and Buffalo games. Never really tried to work his man 1 v 1, which we know he can do. At one point he was doing the Buddy Boeheim special of turning your back to the defender and slowly backing him down, but we know he is never taking a fade away mid range so what's the point? He's better than that! The stats reflect that lack of confidence. Only one assist when we know he is capable of plenty more. No points besides the open layup after the steal. He often looked lethargic. I don't care about the turnover at a crucial time because that was simply a mistake and it happens. It was everything else.

And I know it's just one play and that he is infinitely better than Girard on D, but that lay up at the end to put them up by 7. What the hell?? He catches up to the guy with an impressive sprint, is in perfect position to contest the shot, and at the crucial moment he does absolutely nothing. It wasn't one of their athletic guards either it was that girard sized white dude! Someone was saying that you don't want to risk a foul there, but what you really can't have is an uncontested layup to put them up by 7 with a minute to go. Uncontested layups go in a heck of a lot more than free throws. He can swat the crap out of a guy that size. Did he think that his footsteps would be enough to throw him off? Did he think Griffin was close enough to make the play? That's not enough for me. Kind of inexcusable. Watch the replay at the end of this vid and tell me I'm wrong.

That kid is 6’4” and the only outcome other than you saw would have been a foul, or an and 1. If he had been able to get in front of him he could have swiped the ball out.

That kid is 6’4” and the only outcome other than you saw would have been a foul, or an and 1. If he had been able to get in front of him he could have swiped the ball out.
If Griffin was where Kadary was that is a block and a half that potentially goes back our way. Without question. Kadary can do it too. He just didn't for some reason.

Our defensive rebounding % is right in line where it's always been under JB according to KenPom. You can make up for it if you have a rim protector in the middle. We don't this year with Marek there.

You can make up for it if you have a rim protector in the middle. We don't this year with Marek there.
I think this is probably my 2nd biggest disagreement with what I think is JAB's defensive philosophy. He is enamored with freakish shot-blockers seemingly to the detriment of other skills because the well-rounded recruits are going elsewhere. And I think it's hard to use a defensive player to control how a good team plays offense most of the time. At best an elite shot blocker is going to be on the court 30 minutes or so and will commit shooting fouls that offset whaever the blocked shot advantage is. Fab was Fab, and there is nothing wrong with focusing on having a great shot blocker, but all these center recruits are spurning Syracuse for a reason and it's not because they're not going to get minutes.

I think this is probably my 2nd biggest disagreement with what I think is JAB's defensive philosophy. He is enamored with freakish shot-blockers seemingly to the detriment of other skills because the well-rounded recruits are going elsewhere. And I think it's hard to use a defensive player to control how a good team plays offense most of the time. At best an elite shot blocker is going to be on the court 30 minutes or so and will commit shooting fouls that offset whaever the blocked shot advantage is. Fab was Fab, and there is nothing wrong with focusing on having a great shot blocker, but all these center recruits are spurning Syracuse for a reason and it's not because they're not going to get minutes.

Yup. Why would they come if we never throw it to them. Even when Lydon played the post I didn’t think we threw it to him enough. He was solid there. The offense has run 100% through the guards with the exception of Christmas SR year ever since Rick Jackson graduated.

Here is my problem. I love JB but the man is full of excuses and always throwing blame around. But hear me out. He always is talking about how we don’t have the players, or enough players, or don’t have a center behind Marek.

WELL isn’t it the COACHES job to recruit players to make sure we have players behind Marek? Isn’t it the coaches jobs to develop players to make sure we have players behind Marek? The JG3 and Kadary situation is a different story, our shot selection is a different story. Griffin just getting absolutely abused on defense is a different story.

But sometimes JB and the coaches have to look themselves in the mirror. This is 3 games in a row JB has had a piss poor coaching job. But if thinks we need more players well we are Syracuse...go and get them and develop them. I hate that excuse year in and year out from him. We have proven it in the past we can do it so why is this an excuse all of the sudden???
he's become an observer of his team.

a coach needs to be a problem solver.

the centers cant play in the zone...its too complex for their young minds.

so play man to man. the centers can play man to man just fine. so could the rest of the team.

JB has tunnel vision and tunnel vision is not good for solving problems.

Hes woven himself into a complex web of impotency.

MAREK is not a center.

Yup. Why would they come if we never throw it to them. Even when Lydon played the post I didn’t think we threw it to him enough. He was solid there. The offense has run 100% through the guards with the exception of Christmas SR year ever since Rick Jackson graduated.
Hunter Dickinson has a 26-something percent usage rate as a freshman on a top-10 team. Rak was the last SU C/F to get even close to there and that was as the only option on a really offensively challenged team when he was a senior. It's something that's pretty typical of SU bigs. Lydon only managed 18% and he was a first rounder. Most C recruits with skills who go elsewhere generally have better usage rates than that as freshmen. The SU center on offense is setting picks at the 3-pt line and maybe getting a put-back if they're not already out of position for the rebound.

Meh. It is what it is and what it shall continue to be.

Can we go one game without doing this Kadary v. Joe stupidity? There’s better things to argue about ffs its far from the biggest problem
Yeah, I don't see why it always has to degenerate into a "he vs him" debate. I actually think they'd be a nice combo playing together w/ Kadary as the PG to JG3's off-guard coming off picks to take shots.
Its not a contest between them, rather a commentary that one is not so much better that they deserve to play 35+ a game, while the other sits.

We need to get Sid back for sure.
Don't count on it, he may miss the rest of the season. I hope I'm wrong. Matt Park and Jim Satalin said on the radio broadcast that Sid had a noticeable limp. He tried to warm up but sat back down. Although they broadcasted from Drumlins, it sounded like they were watching screens that showed pregame warmups. They were giving lots of details about pregame.

He was about to fall over because he was stunned how bad our center and guard play is. The lack of quickness and athleticism...
Yeah, pretty easy to draw up plays...”okay guys, cross half court and just shoot it. Then take the easy put back!”

Don't count on it, he may miss the rest of the season. I hope I'm wrong. Matt Park and Jim Satalin said on the radio broadcast that Sid had a noticeable limp. He tried to warm up but sat back down. Although they broadcasted from Drumlins, it sounded like they were watching screens that showed pregame warmups. They were giving lots of details about pregame.

Doesn’t sound good at all

the thing i hate most about marek at center is that it completely sucks for him. you have a dream, you chase it, and that dream is nothing about getting the shart kicked out of you by guys 50 lbs heavier in a position that you don't play. it stinks to be in that position.

the thing i hate most about marek at center is that it completely sucks for him. you have a dream, you chase it, and that dream is nothing about getting the shart kicked out of you by guys 50 lbs heavier in a position that you don't play. it stinks to be in that position.
Yeh but what about on the offensive end? He should be a matchup nightmare for the opposing center if he has 50lbs on him.

You mean the talk about if keto is right for him?
It almost seems like he’s getting bigger as the season goes on. Makes zero sense. I could be wrong but instinctively he looks like a football player that plays hoops and not vice versa. The way he moves, looks etc

maybe marek should go on a diet, he'll really cause problems on offense then
Huh, You said the center has 50lbs on him why go on a diet? I get it’s an issue for him on Defense and you’ll get no arguments from me there but it should be an issue for the other team to cover him on the Offensive end. Unfortunately for us though he was non existent vs UNC on offense which is one reason (among many) we lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom