Postgame Thoughts... Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Virginia

This is where I lose it.
Okay Newton isn’t good in practice well Buddy isn’t good in games.
When will Newton get minutes in the future?
He has JG3-Sophomore, Kadary-Freshman, Buddy-Junior ahead of him.

He must really suck in practice. I mean he must be brutal.
Yup. Players will transfer and things will get worse. It’s unavoidable with an old stubborn man at the end.

Here's the other thing, even if JB wanted to only play his six guys, he could still adjust the offense to not allow Buddy to shoot this much.

I agree with you, btw. I'm just saying, even if he didn't want to expand the rotation, he could adjust where the shots come from.
Bingo. Buddy shouldn’t be handling the ball so much and trying to back down guys only to do terrible fadeaway jumpers. If he’s a great shooter he should be shooting not doing that crap. It’s garbage.

Here's the other thing, even if JB wanted to only play his six guys, he could still adjust the offense to not allow Buddy to shoot this much.

I agree with you, btw. I'm just saying, even if he didn't want to expand the rotation, he could adjust where the shots come from.
JB says he plays the best players from practice.
Are we to believe Newton just sucks?
I am sorry I can’t believe that.
I got no problem saying Buddy is better but what he says is just bullchit to get out of the moment spin.

I got no problem saying Buddy is better but what he says is just bullchit to get out of the moment spin.
And if newton does suck whose fault is that? The coach who recruited him. For once he should take some blame.

This is where I lose it.
Okay Newton isn’t good in practice well Buddy isn’t good in games.
When will Newton get minutes in the future?
He has JG3-Sophomore, Kadary-Freshman, Buddy-Junior ahead of him.

He must really suck in practice. I mean he must be brutal.

The ’Practice’ line has become the smoke screen for playing his pre-destined stars. Always has been. Sure Buddy hits shots in practice. He has SU bench players and walk on’s guarding him. In games he has all-acc defenders on him all night. If he were an elite scorer, that wouldn’t matter...but, he‘s not, so...

Anyone who watches this team on a regular basis and doesn't see the problems with the coach is clearly living in the past. There are so many problems with the team and program that it has become laughable. He coaches like it is the 90s still..

Player Development
Recruiting (Talent evaluation)
Bench use
Players being favored over others
Stale and old offensive schemes
Stale and old defensive schemes

Things will not get better until JB is gone and we clean house. We need fresh eyes and fresh ideas injected into this program, not RED, G-MAC, or Hop we need something different.

Letting his son run around jacking up shots playing crappy defense and turning the ball over without any consequences will cause major problems and cause people to transfer and not show up. It isn't rocket science to see why we don't have any guards signed for the next recruiting cycle. What guard would come here?

We play well when we have good ball movement. Virginia did a great job moving the ball for open shooters and chalking up the assists. Good ball movement and finding open shooters will beat the zone everytime unless the shooters are having a bad night. Good coaches will adjust and try something different like man to man. One of the reasons Buddy is shooting so poorly this season is he usually has their best defender guarding him. That is something you can do playing M2M. The zone is a good defense but it's also good to change things when they are not working. Maybe not wait until you are down but 15 or 20 to press? Try different lineups when others are having off nights/season even if it's your son. It even looked like QG had to get in-between coach and Griffin during a timeout. That is not coaching and why would great players want to play for him? Would JB ever get after Buddy like that? Its not a coincidence recruiting has steadily gone down.

You do not understand those misses by Buddy were as good as a pass if only his teammates would just rebound those misses because we know Jackson is not passing out on the twenty dribble back him down the lane and then leave it short shots.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLx2

IF HE JUST MADE MORE SHOTS HIS % WOULD BE HIGHER! HIS MISSES ARE LIKE OFFENSIVE MAGICAL FAIRIES.
There will be more games he’s on from deep. Guaranteed. But forget the shots for a second... the horrific turnovers were a bigger issue tonight. Some led directly to points. Those are far more egregious plays than missing some shots.

There will be more games he’s on from deep. Guaranteed. But forget the shots for a second... the horrific turnovers were a bigger issue tonight. Some led directly to points. Those are far more egregious plays than missing some shots.
Most led directly to points. They only gave him 5, I swear he had more like 8 or 9.

I am not a Buddy hater. He works his ass off and appears to be a good teammate. But recently the problem has not been just that he is missing shots. When he gets the ball the offense stops. He either holds the ball forever, backs down and takes a difficult shot, launches a contested three or dribbles looking for his shot until he is in a difficult position and needs to force a pass as the shot clock winds down. When you watch a team like Virginia the ball is constantly moving until somebody has an open shot. Buddy does not appear the least bit interested in moving the ball and having somebody else get a better shot. He killed any momentum we tried to get an offense last night with turnovers and poor shot selection.
JG3 has dramatically improved his ball protection and shot selection. His stroke looked good last night and it would have been nice to see him play more at the two with Kadary out there to set him up.
AG still needs to improve his shot selection as well. But he did take some good shots and continued to be active on the boards. Unfortunately I thought it was pretty evident that number of those open threes Virginia got were on him.
I have no idea why Edwards didn’t get a few minutes to see if he could help inside. He easily could have taken 5 to 8 minutes from Marek.
I had absolutely no problem with any of the shots Quincy took. If he makes two more shots he would have shot 50% and all of those shots were shots he can make. What is frustrating is that this kid can score but it doesn’t seem like we have plays that make it easier for him and the guards are looking for their offense more than they are looking for Quincy.
Kadary was not good last night but that will happen when a freshman plays against Virginia. I still would have liked to have seen him get more than 20 minutes and would have liked to have seen him paired up with Joe at the two. With the way Virginia was raining down threes and given the fact that Buddy could not make a shot I would have rather taken Kadary‘s upgrade defensively and taken 5 to 10 minutes away from buddy.
Finally I have no idea what is happening with Covid or in practice but there is no reason why you don’t give Woody a shot last night. Again he does everything better than Buddy and Joe except shoot from the outside and a little bit more athleticism against Virginia might have been advisable.
I know I am in the vast minority but I think we can play with these guys. But not if we are taking terrible shots early in the shot clock while they move the ball around for wide open looks. I wish the staff and players would recognize how much easier an open, stationary, not off the dribble three point shot is to make as opposed to contested, off the dribble or moving.

I am not a Buddy hater. He works his ass off and appears to be a good teammate. But recently the problem has not been just that he is missing shots. When he gets the ball the offense stops. He either holds the ball forever, backs down and takes a difficult shot, launches a contested three or dribbles looking for his shot until he is in a difficult position and needs to force a pass as the shot clock winds down. When you watch a team like Virginia the ball is constantly moving until somebody has an open shot. Buddy does not appear the least bit interested in moving the ball and having somebody else get a better shot. He killed any momentum we tried to get an offense last night with turnovers and poor shot selection.
JG3 has dramatically improved his ball protection and shot selection. His stroke looked good last night and it would have been nice to see him play more at the two with Kadary out there to set him up.
AG still needs to improve his shot selection as well. But he did take some good shots and continued to be active on the boards. Unfortunately I thought it was pretty evident that number of those open threes Virginia got were on him.
I have no idea why Edwards didn’t get a few minutes to see if he could help inside. He easily could have taken 5 to 8 minutes from Marek.
I had absolutely no problem with any of the shots Quincy took. If he makes two more shots he would have shot 50% and all of those shots were shots he can make. What is frustrating is that this kid can score but it doesn’t seem like we have plays that make it easier for him and the guards are looking for their offense more than they are looking for Quincy.
Kadary was not good last night but that will happen when a freshman plays against Virginia. I still would have liked to have seen him get more than 20 minutes and would have liked to have seen him paired up with Joe at the two. With the way Virginia was raining down threes and given the fact that Buddy could not make a shot I would have rather taken Kadary‘s upgrade defensively and taken 5 to 10 minutes away from buddy.
Finally I have no idea what is happening with Covid or in practice but there is no reason why you don’t give Woody a shot last night. Again he does everything better than Buddy and Joe except shoot from the outside and a little bit more athleticism against Virginia might have been advisable.
I know I am in the vast minority but I think we can play with these guys. But not if we are taking terrible shots early in the shot clock while they move the ball around for wide open looks. I wish the staff and players would recognize how much easier an open, stationary, not off the dribble three point shot is to make as opposed to contested, off the dribble or moving.

Great post!

Anyone who watches this team on a regular basis and doesn't see the problems with the coach is clearly living in the past. There are so many problems with the team and program that it has become laughable. He coaches like it is the 90s still..

Player Development
Recruiting (Talent evaluation)
Bench use
Players being favored over others
Stale and old offensive schemes
Stale and old defensive schemes

Things will not get better until JB is gone and we clean house. We need fresh eyes and fresh ideas injected into this program, not RED, G-MAC, or Hop we need something different.

Letting his son run around jacking up shots playing crappy defense and turning the ball over without any consequences will cause major problems and cause people to transfer and not show up. It isn't rocket science to see why we don't have any guards signed for the next recruiting cycle. What guard would come here?
This can't be said enough, so well put. It is sad but so so true. This is not a one year thing either. It reminds me of how the football program fell apart, look where that has gotten us the last 20 years. I'm going to my corner to cry.

Virginia 23 assists on 29 baskets. Syracuse 10 assists on 22 baskets. We were outplayed in every phase of the game. I don’t think it was due to a lack of hustle. UVA is a better team. The good news is that the rest of the schedule is soft.
A lot of that (like 90%?] was their pg driving and hitting guys who made shots. All things that SU struggles with. A pg who can drive well, who can pass and people who makes shots. Plus poor defense. I don't want to start/continue the old arguements but that is simply the reason. No surprise.

Have you been to practices to see who practices well? Also one of the announcers a few games ago said SU practices are limited such its pretty much just 1 on 1 and position groups. No team stuff to avoid contact. Is the a conference mandate or a NYS restriction?

Jim should limp though the remainder of the 20-21 season, coach the 21-22 season and then head for the shower!
It is clear to me we are a bad basketball team that is in desperate need of a directional change!
Thank you Jim, but please hang them up before you become the Frank Maloney of the Basketball Program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom