Potential 2022 Roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2022 Roster

I can confirm that Buttermore, DiPietro, Hapney and Buttermore are all back,at least in the fall. Staats and Kennedy as well. Some of those you may have already confirmed, so if I'm echoing someone else's post, sorry haha.

I can confirm that Buttermore, DiPietro, Hapney and Buttermore are all back,at least in the fall. Staats and Kennedy as well. Some of those you may have already confirmed, so if I'm echoing someone else's post, sorry haha.
gathered from a secretive meeting at the bottom of a underground garage?
not sure even a marathon man dental exam will pry anything of substance this fall.

anyway TH, appreciate the coverage and podcasts, always enjoyable.

gathered from a secretive meeting at the bottom of a underground garage?
not sure even a marathon man dental exam will pry anything of substance this fall.

anyway TH, appreciate the coverage and podcasts, always enjoyable.
Haha, no secret meetings but I'm positive that is correct. I didn't mention any of the obvious guys but saw people were wondering about the few I mentioned. That doesn't mean they'll be playing come spring, but they were with the team this fall.

They likely won't finalize and publish the roster for a bit. May not see anything until 2022.

But I liked what I saw. We lose 4 guys we wish we didn't, a player at each position, but we have legit experience returning at every position except in cage.

Lose Dearth, but we get back the lot of young ssdm's that I don't think played that great last year, but will all have another year of experience under their belt.

We lose the keeper, but the entire defense is back, again with one more year of experience. They weren't great last year, but should be a bit better this year. Petro is building the system around the personnel so I don't see a whole lot of issues with a new system. Some will stay the same, some will change based on personnel.

We lose Trimboli and Rehfuss, but return two all american caliber midfielders and solid options at attack with enough depth at mid to go 6 deep, BUT I HOPE GAIT PLAYS THE FIRST LINE MORE. My main and really only gripe with Desko was how much time he gave the 2nd line mids. When you have a 1st line line we did, those guys should have played more.

The ACC will be tough, but so long as they split in acc play, or go 1-3 in the ACC and win all games outside of acc play, they'll get back to the tourney.

AS FOR BEING LIGHT ON NEWS, SU STANCE AND INFO, I don't think you guys realize how many times I come here to see what you all know in the preseason haha. You all are die hard like me, so I will rarely have info that you haven't all heard through the grapevine already haha. You all

Heard a larger than normal number of 2020 and 2021's entering the transfer portal. Purge of Desko's and Rogers' recruits freeing up money for the large 2022 class and a spend in the portal for more D. Normally dismissals come in June, but with new coaches it is now a fall thing. Tough to kick these young men to the curb and have them find a new team and matriculate into a new school for spring with 45 day notice. That is an interesting life lesson.

Heard a larger than normal number of 2020 and 2021's entering the transfer portal. Purge of Desko's and Rogers' recruits freeing up money for the large 2022 class and a spend in the portal for more D. Normally dismissals come in June, but with new coaches it is now a fall thing. Tough to kick these young men to the curb and have them find a new team and matriculate into a new school for spring with 45 day notice. That is an interesting life lesson.

I can't say if this true or note but Gait noted that they (he and the staff) wanted to have a smaller roster versus the upper 50's -early 60's that SU has had under Desko and there is a decent amount of players who have very little chance of seeing the field at SU anytime soon. Never a great thing but in the world of D1 sports these sort of "purges" happen when a coaching change is made.

Thanks for the heads up. I am a big proponent of getting the roster down to a more manageable number, so I think while tough to process for a lot of these guys, it's something that needs to happen. The roster last year was 60, which obviously had a lot to do with the 5th Years coming back. But even in 2020 the roster was I think 55. If Xtreme's roster on the first page of this thread is accurate (and based on reports it looks like it is), the number is still at 60. In 2009, the last time SU won a national title, the roster was 51. That means in a little over a decade, the roster somehow added an additional starting lineup. I don't see how that is sustainable for a coaching staff to manage. How can you fully evaluate a team that big?

Anyways, if the rumor is true, and it's mostly upperclassmen that will move on, I'm very curious to see who it will be, given that most of the upperclassmen have seen some actual playing time in their careers. I don't want to speculate with actual names, I don't think that is very respectful to the guys in question, but I imagine some tough calls will have to be made.

Hadn't heard any names, but there you go. The math is pretty straightforward; 60-10 = 50. I think they invite the guys back for spring, with the caveat that they will be practice players. If you want to play, you head to the portal. No film, no references, and 4 weeks to find a new home. As JeremyCuse said, happens in all sports including lacrosse.

Maguire, Telago, Rottura, Papa are all in the portal, so you can assume they are part of that crew.

Talago we already knew about.

Rottura just got here 3 months ago.

Talago we already knew about.

Rottura just got here 3 months ago.

I think it’s pretty common that not all freshmen make it through fall ball. I think he transferred on his own but Lewandwski left after fall ball for Vermont. Shane Thornton was a fogo a few years ago who didn’t make it either. I think there are lots of examples. It happens.

According to his Instagram story, Luke Talago is transferring to Jacksonville.

What do you all think the chances Cook puts together a nice season this year? To help improve upon last season he doesn't even have to do anything huge. Hell, something in the area of 10 to 15 points as a 2nd line midfielder, or a 3rd or 4th attack would be good enough for me and would help make up for some of the lost point production.

As a former coach at the JUCO level, we often had kids that had a hard time making things work where they were, but played well for us, not because I was some great coach, but because the change of scenery and our team flow had them a bit more at ease.

I'm hoping we see that with Cook. For some of that promise to pop out with Gait pushing him in different ways.

What do you all think the chances Cook puts together a nice season this year? To help improve upon last season he doesn't even have to do anything huge. Hell, something in the area of 10 to 15 points as a 2nd line midfielder, or a 3rd or 4th attack would be good enough for me and would help make up for some of the lost point production.

As a former coach at the JUCO level, we often had kids that had a hard time making things work where they were, but played well for us, not because I was some great coach, but because the change of scenery and our team flow had them a bit more at ease.

I'm hoping we see that with Cook. For some of that promise to pop out with Gait pushing him in different ways.

I'd say the chances are slim to none, he's had multiple opportunities at both middie and attack and it just hasn't worked really at all. He has struggled to dodge, struggled off ball as a mid and has had a ton of issues finishing in close. I was a huge Cook fan coming out of JD but he's struggled mightily to make the transition to the Elite D1 level, to the point where I was shocked he didn't transfer this off-season. From what I know he's not in consideration for the 4th attack spot and his skill set is really as an attackmen as his time on the 2nd mid line has not gone well. Things can certainly change and perhaps injuries or lack of experience play a role but again from what I have heard he isn't really on the radar at this point for an attack spot or the first two mid lines.

I'd say the chances are slim to none, he's had multiple opportunities at both middie and attack and it just hasn't worked really at all. He has struggled to dodge, struggled off ball as a mid and has had a ton of issues finishing in close. I was a huge Cook fan coming out of JD but he's struggled mightily to make the transition to the Elite D1 level, to the point where I was shocked he didn't transfer this off-season. From what I know he's not in consideration for the 4th attack spot and his skill set is really as an attackmen as his time on the 2nd mid line has not gone well. Things can certainly change and perhaps injuries or lack of experience play a role but again from what I have heard he isn't really on the radar at this point for an attack spot or the first two mid lines.
He has been so "not aggressive" it's insane. The times where he has tried to assert himself and "really go to the cage" often resulted in some nice goals, but the # of times where he actually "did anything at all" are slim to none.

I guess that's why I'm a little hopeful that there is some kind of fire lit under his ass that results in him being more aggressive. If he doesn't get a bit angry, I agree with you, he may not end up on the field even.

He has been so "not aggressive" it's insane. The times where he has tried to assert himself and "really go to the cage" often resulted in some nice goals, but the # of times where he actually "did anything at all" are slim to none.

I guess that's why I'm a little hopeful that there is some kind of fire lit under his ass that results in him being more aggressive. If he doesn't get a bit angry, I agree with you, he may not end up on the field even.

Cook is a hard case to figure out, kid was all world in HS, an All-American, UA etc. However, since getting to SU he hasn't looked right or something has felt off since his Frosh year. Not sure if his size/stature caught up to him, the lack of the ball no longer being in his stick on offense 90% of the time was hard to adjust or if it was simply a case of him not having the overall skill set to transition to P5 D1 Lax. I'd be curious to see how he would do at lower level D1 school be it a slight downgrade like a Stony Brook or Bryant or Hobart or a lower D1 like a Canisius or Bingo or LIU etc.

To me part of the problem was having him play middie his frosh year, he never looked remotely comfortable and it was clear 2 games in it wasn't going to work. You wonder if that shattered his confidence and to be honest he hasn't been right since. Similar pattern to another JD start in Evans who also started a mid and never seemed to get fully on track, although he ended up being a solid attack player by his late Jr year.

Cook is a hard case to figure out, kid was all world in HS, an All-American, UA etc. However, since getting to SU he hasn't looked right or something has felt off since his Frosh year. Not sure if his size/stature caught up to him, the lack of the ball no longer being in his stick on offense 90% of the time was hard to adjust or if it was simply a case of him not having the overall skill set to transition to P5 D1 Lax. I'd be curious to see how he would do at lower level D1 school be it a slight downgrade like a Stony Brook or Bryant or Hobart or a lower D1 like a Canisius or Bingo or LIU etc.

To me part of the problem was having him play middie his frosh year, he never looked remotely comfortable and it was clear 2 games in it wasn't going to work. You wonder if that shattered his confidence and to be honest he hasn't been right since. Similar pattern to another JD start in Evans who also started a mid and never seemed to get fully on track, although he ended up being a solid attack player by his late Jr year.
He put up more points in the Yale scrimmage in the spring of 2020 (maybe it was the Vermont scrimmage) than he did in all of 2021. It's almost as if he's simply "afraid to do dope things" haha. His stick skills are where they need to be. I fear it may be a "size is too small without the quickness to make up for it". If that's the case, it's done.

But I'm going to remain optimistic, partly because he seems like a good kid, and partly because he kind of needs to be better and contribute if we want to improve upon last year which is already going to be a tall task.

He put up more points in the Yale scrimmage in the spring of 2020 (maybe it was the Vermont scrimmage) than he did in all of 2021. It's almost as if he's simply "afraid to do dope things" haha. His stick skills are where they need to be. I fear it may be a "size is too small without the quickness to make up for it". If that's the case, it's done.

But I'm going to remain optimistic, partly because he seems like a good kid, and partly because he kind of needs to be better and contribute if we want to improve upon last year which is already going to be a tall task.

Cook did look like he would be an impact player for the Orange based on scrimmages in the lead-up to the 2020 season. Against Denver he had a hat trick in fall of 2019. In the spring he combined for five goals against Hofstra and Vermont. Against Yale he had three goals and three assists in the last tuneup before the season. So in four games, he totaled 11 goals and 3 assists. Impressive! But I guess that is why they are called scrimmages. I didn't see any footage from these scrimmages (maybe a few clips from a LaxFactor video), so I have no idea how he scored his goals, but the numbers were still promising.

That 2020 season he had five goals and four assists in five games, which isn't bad but I think we were all expecting more. I am not sure why he couldn't translate the scrimmage success over into the regular season. Some easy shots he missed, and that could have drained his confidence. Maybe as the season wore on he would have had a "breakthrough" but of course we know the season was cut short. It had to be hard to fit in on a team like that when you are clearly the sixth option and almost everyone else earned All American honors. But you've got to make your moments count.

In 2021 of course he was benched after the Army game for Owen Hiltz, which was of course the right move. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think the flip flopping from position to position probably hasn't helped him. The coaches definitely tried, it wasn't just offensive midfield he was moved to, he took runs on the face-off wing and was even a d-middie for some runs, though I don't think that was ever a good idea given his size. His greatest attribute has been his riding ability (seriously, he's amazing at it), but you need more than that to be a starting attackman in the ACC.

This team desperately needs offensive depth, but I don't think Cook is the guy to provide it. Anything is possible (who would have thought Seebold would be a starting attackman by the end of last season?) so hopefully if his opportunity comes, he's ready.

Cook did look like he would be an impact player for the Orange based on scrimmages in the lead-up to the 2020 season. Against Denver he had a hat trick in fall of 2019. In the spring he combined for five goals against Hofstra and Vermont. Against Yale he had three goals and three assists in the last tuneup before the season. So in four games, he totaled 11 goals and 3 assists. Impressive! But I guess that is why they are called scrimmages. I didn't see any footage from these scrimmages (maybe a few clips from a LaxFactor video), so I have no idea how he scored his goals, but the numbers were still promising.

That 2020 season he had five goals and four assists in five games, which isn't bad but I think we were all expecting more. I am not sure why he couldn't translate the scrimmage success over into the regular season. Some easy shots he missed, and that could have drained his confidence. Maybe as the season wore on he would have had a "breakthrough" but of course we know the season was cut short. It had to be hard to fit in on a team like that when you are clearly the sixth option and almost everyone else earned All American honors. But you've got to make your moments count.

In 2021 of course he was benched after the Army game for Owen Hiltz, which was of course the right move. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think the flip flopping from position to position probably hasn't helped him. The coaches definitely tried, it wasn't just offensive midfield he was moved to, he took runs on the face-off wing and was even a d-middie for some runs, though I don't think that was ever a good idea given his size. His greatest attribute has been his riding ability (seriously, he's amazing at it), but you need more than that to be a starting attackman in the ACC.

This team desperately needs offensive depth, but I don't think Cook is the guy to provide it. Anything is possible (who would have thought Seebold would be a starting attackman by the end of last season?) so hopefully if his opportunity comes, he's ready.
Agree on all points. I was at those scrimmages and can say he legit looked like "one of the best players on the field". Super active, creative and aggressive. Night and day difference between what I saw there and what he did once the real games were played.

I was hoping for a Jordan Evans like turnaround from Cook where he "didn't pan out as much early, but by his senior year was a very solid contributor". Still hoping for it, but I agree with you all, from what we saw last year, it isn't likely to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom