Potential 2023 Roster | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2023 Roster

Dwan is a 5 star
Figueiraes 4 star
Sageder 4 star LSM
Kuczynski 4 star

All should fight for minutes and wouldn’t be surprised if one of these get starter like minutes or eventually start.
Jordan Beck 4 Stars as well out of the MIAA.

The recruitment of defensive players has been really bad the last couple of years, I didn't realize how bad until I looked at the actual Power 100 that IL does. Since 2016 they've landed only three long pole defensive recruits listed on the Power 100 - Nick DiPietro (40 in 2016), Jared Fernandez (68 in 2017, transferred out) and Caden Kol (100 in 2020). They haven't placed a defensive recruit in the Under Armor All American Game since 2015 when Tyson Bomberry and Nick Mellen were in it.

The general recruiting had been going downhill for a while now, but I think we knew that. A list of IL Power 100 recruits for SU since 2015 -

2015: 8 - Romano, Mellen, Bomberry, Solomon, Helmer, O'Sullivan, Voigt, Shewell (transferred out)
2016: 4 - Trimboli, DiPietro, Wisnakus (transferred out) and Dearth
2017: 6 - Quinn, Seebold, Dordevic, Curry, Lauder (left) and Fernandez (transferred out)
2018: 3 - Cook, Fiorini and Magnan
2019: 3 - Levandowski (transferred out), Aviles and Thompson
2020: 2 - Hlitz, Birtwistle
2021: 2 - Borges, Rice
2022: ?

It goes without saying that these rankings aren't the end all and be all - Brett Kennedy is the teams best defender and he wasn't a Power 100 recruit, Nick Caccamo the second best was a four star recruit but not Power 100. But it still feels pretty telling. Good defenders were indeed ranked highly by IL (Bowen and Makar were 2 and 4 in 2018, Cohen 3 in 2017, etc). Frustrating, since they really built a good base with that 2017 class (current 5th and 6th year seniors), but just couldn't supplement it. It seems like Syracuse should be able to equal the last three years with this class (hopefully). In terms of defense it definitely seems like this might be the best group they've brought in since at least 2015 and probably back further.

Last edited:
I was down recently and saw Dwan - he is tall now and a dominant presence. I think he has an excellent chance to start next year, particularly given Cuse' current situation :cool:. Loyola has a top tier defense with a mediocre O which explains their decent but not great record overall.
You summarized it perfectly.. Loyola defense is top tier. -Dwan and Larkin are the stars of this legit unit.

The recruitment of defensive players has been really bad the last couple of years, I didn't realize how bad until I looked at the actual Power 100 that IL does. Since 2016 they've landed only three long pole defensive recruits listed on the Power 100 - Nick DiPietro (40 in 2016), Jared Fernandez (68 in 2017, transferred out) and Caden Kol (100 in 2020). They haven't placed a defensive recruit in the Under Armor All American Game since 2015 when Tyson Bomberry and Nick Mellen were in it in 2015.

The general recruiting had been going downhill for a while now, but I think we knew that. A list of IL Power 100 recruits for SU since 2015 -

2015: 8 - Romano, Mellen, Bomberry, Solomon, Helmer, O'Sullivan, Voigt, Shewell (transferred out)
2016: 4 - Trimboli, DiPietro, Wisnakus (transferred out) and Dearth
2017: 6 - Quinn, Seebold, Dordevic, Curry, Lauder (left) and Fernandez (transferred out)
2018: 3 - Cook, Fiorini and Magnan
2019: 3 - Levandowski (transferred out), Aviles and Thompson
2020: 2 - Hlitz, Birtwistle
2021: 2 - Borges, Rice
2022: ?

It goes without saying that these rankings aren't the end all and be all - Brett Kennedy is the teams best defender and he wasn't a Power 100 recruit, Nick Caccamo the second best was a four star recruit but not Power 100. But it still feels pretty telling. Good defenders were indeed ranked highly by IL (Bowen and Makar were 2 and 4 in 2018, Cohen 3 in 2017, etc). Frustrating, since they really built a good base with that 2017 class (current 5th and 6th year seniors), but just couldn't supplement it. It seems like Syracuse should be able to equal the last three years with this class (hopefully). In terms of defense it definitely seems like this might be the best group they've brought in since at least 2015 and probably back further.
I badly wanted us to land Makar.; especially him being from Yorktown. I wonder if SU was on his radar or his mind was already set on the Terps.

I badly wanted us to land Makar.; especially him being from Yorktown. I wonder if SU was on his radar or his mind was already set on the Terps.

I think I read somewhere that his final choices were down to Maryland and Syracuse.

I think if Gait is smart, he and Wildhack will agree to soften the schedule for next year. Playing Maryland, Army, Cornell along with the 6 ACC games is what you do when you have a solid established team. The freshmen look very talented and they should be given a chance to have a winning but developmental season. The 6 ACCs are a given so remove Maryland and maybe Army?

I think if Gait is smart, he and Wildhack will agree to soften the schedule for next year. Playing Maryland, Army, Cornell along with the 6 ACC games is what you do when you have a solid established team. The freshmen look very talented and they should be given a chance to have a winning but developmental season. The 6 ACCs are a given so remove Maryland and maybe Army?

Wildhack has nothing to do with the schedule.

This was all Gait.

I think we can all agree that Maryland was a mistake. I wonder if we committed to a two year "home and home"? That'll mean a trip to College Park next season. :(

We've played Army every year since 2002. If we drop them after losing two straight, we will look like p*ssies. Besides, it's a guaranteed home game and they bring a nice crowd. And they usually have a few local players.

8 non-con games to fill every year:
Army
Albany
Hobart
Cornell
Hopkins
Stony Brook or other NYS cupcake?
NYS cupcake

Do we want a Big East team?
PSU / Rutgers?
Navy / Loyola?
Another cupcake?

Maybe cut back to 7 or 6 non-cons?

This was all Gait.

I think we can all agree that Maryland was a mistake. I wonder if we committed to a two year "home and home"? That'll mean a trip to College Park next season. :(

We've played Army every year since 2002. If we drop them after losing two straight, we will look like p*ssies. Besides, it's a guaranteed home game and they bring a nice crowd. And they usually have a few local players.

Army
Albany
Hobart
Cornell
Hopkins
NYS cupcake

PSU / Rutgers?
Navy / Loyola?
Another cupcake?

I had heard that Wildhack was involved in scheduling this season - pretty good source.

Maybe we add another 1-2 games early with "decent" teams like High Point or Penn State instead of pre-season scrimmages? Duke and UNC have done this and it also helps pad the stats of a guy like Spallina. Could be particularly good idea for working in the incoming stars next year.

Dropping Maryland seems like a bad choice, given the NCAA selection criteria. Can one really count on UNC being a top team next year without Gray? I believe Syracuse plays UNC twice next year also.

Playing Maryland would be a much better learning experience for the freshmen than playing Binghamton.

Gait needs to nail a few key transfers.

Oooooo boyyyyyyy.

Is this a feeling or is this something you may have heard?
Would be extremely odd and rare if someone announced they were in the portal before the last game of the season. Not worth worrying about it.

I got a feeling this concerns Cuse and we are not going to like it...
If they had any integrity they wouldn’t have said anything until it was confirmed with multiple sources. Now, all they’ve done is create rampant speculation. That’s irresponsible.

If they had any integrity they wouldn’t have said anything until it was confirmed with multiple sources. Now, all they’ve done is create rampant speculation. That’s irresponsible.
Knowing them it's probably some slightly funny but not that funny joke. Only one creating suspense and speculation here is CrazyPeople

Would be extremely odd and rare if someone announced they were in the portal before the last game of the season. Not worth worrying about it.
I thought about it more or less some coaching move or a commit/decommit.

Almost as odd as naming a new head coach before the old one retires/gets fired lol.

Almost as odd as naming a new head coach before the old one retires/gets fired lol.
Didn't someone over at IL leak that information?? The university didn't name Gary the next head coach before announcing that Desko was retiring lol.

Didn't someone over at IL leak that information?? The university didn't name Gary the next head coach before announcing that Desko was retiring lol.
Ossello and Molloy don't work for the University either. Doesn't mean there isn't information to be shared. Not trying to stir the pot, but just a gut feeling that it's somehow related to Syracuse and the fallout of this season.

Ossello and Molloy don't work for the University either. Doesn't mean there isn't information to be shared. Not trying to stir the pot, but just a gut feeling that it's somehow related to Syracuse and the fallout of this season.
I don't doubt that Evan Molloy still has his connections. That being said, if your gut feeling is true, that his "unreal breaking news" is that there will be a bunch of players to enter the transfer portal-- 1) I wouldn't exactly call that unreal breaking news lol and 2) I think thats what most people on this board expected to happen after this season ended.

Personally, I would like that to happen, with the exception of a few of the big names, of course-- i.e. Dordy, Hiltz, Caccamo, Olexxo, Aviles, Rice, Birtwistle, Fraterrigo, etc. Could be forgetting a few names but I don't think a roster cleanse would necessarily be a bad thing.

I don't doubt that Evan Molloy still has his connections. That being said, if your gut feeling is true, that his "unreal breaking news" is that there will be a bunch of players to enter the transfer portal-- 1) I wouldn't exactly call that unreal breaking news lol and 2) I think thats what most people on this board expected to happen after this season ended.

Personally, I would like that to happen, with the exception of a few of the big names, of course-- i.e. Dordy, Hiltz, Caccamo, Olexxo, Aviles, Rice, Birtwistle, Fraterrigo, etc. Could be forgetting a few names but I don't think a roster cleanse would necessarily be a bad thing.

If this was a major transfer announcement its highly likely it would have broke by now. The fact its 11+ hours later and nothing has come out tells me this probably isn't SU related.

This was all Gait.

Army
Albany
Hobart
Cornell
Hopkins
NYS cupcake

PSU / Rutgers?
Navy / Loyola?
Another cupcake?

Add Princeton or Loyola while keeping MD. Great opponents, but also fertile recruiting areas. Princeton and Loyola also have nice stadiums and good tailgating.

It could be literally anything and might not even be lacrosse related. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s about a new taco joint Ossello found.

They released a new podcast after the tweet in question. Nowhere in the description does it mention Syracuse or the breaking news. It’s two hours long and they spend the first 6 minutes discussing the fact that Molloy took a break from drinking. I did not listen to the rest. Like Jeremy I’m a little skeptical that this is earth shattering news but I guess you never know.

CrazyPeople, you at least succeed in driving this person, crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom