Potential 2023 Roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2023 Roster

Back to the thread, the brightest spot to me that has emerged in the 2022 mess is Jackson Birtwistle. I had read about him when he was recruited but this kid looks like he’s going to be a serious contributor . His game is very smooth , finds the seams and is a great finisher…and he’s got size 6’3 210.

We’ve only seen glimpses , but good things happen when he is on the field.

With more time , I think he will quickly become one of the leading contributors.

I and hoping he gets the start over Berkman next weekend and we get a chance to see a full game with him on the field and what he can do.

He didn’t have that many minutes yesterday until the 4th and put up 3,

Back to the thread, the brightest spot to me that has emerged in the 2022 mess is Jackson Birtwistle. I had read about him when he was recruited but this kid looks like he’s going to be a serious contributor . His game is very smooth , finds the seams and is a great finisher…and he’s got size 6’3 210.

With more time , I think he will quickly become one of the leading contributors.

I and hoping he gets the start over Berkman next weekend and we get a chance to see a full game with him on the field and what he can do.

He didn’t have that many minutes yesterday until the 4th and put up

He didn’t have that many minutes yesterday until the 4th and put up 3,
He was 47 in IL 2020 rankings, he redshirting last year right?

Tucker back at Midfield? Don’t see it

Prepare yourself, Hiltz and Spallina are locks to start at attack with Leo and Thompson and Birtwistle all options for the third spot. At midfield we return zero opening day starters (I assume Cook will transfer or be beat out). Dordevic is highly likely to be moved back to midfield.

Prepare yourself, Hiltz and Spallina are locks to start at attack with Leo and Thompson and Birtwistle all options for the third spot. At midfield we return zero opening day starters (I assume Cook will transfer or be beat out). Dordevic is highly likely to be moved back to midfield.
Don't have any inside info, but it really does not seem like a move Gait and co would make since they were willing to move him down to attack in the first place. He is putting up senior year Rehfuss numbers on the lefty wing and he's not even lefty. Developing nicely as a feeder too even if it is not translating to high assist numbers this year. Does Gait really pass up the opportunity to put him at his natural rightly spot and continue using the attack skills he has developed this year? Not sure about Thomson, but Leo and Birtwistle could certainly play middie.

Don't have any inside info, but it really does not seem like a move Gait and co would make since they were willing to move him down to attack in the first place. He is putting up senior year Rehfuss numbers on the lefty wing and he's not even lefty. Developing nicely as a feeder too even if it is not translating to high assist numbers this year. Does Gait really pass up the opportunity to put him at his natural rightly spot and continue using the attack skills he has developed this year? Not sure about Thomson, but Leo and Birtwistle could certainly play middie.

Keep in mind Dordevic could be listed technically as a midfielder and essentially play as the game dictates. Curry has done that a lot this year and essentially not left the field for most games. Dordevic has looked good at attack but he still prefers to dodge from up top, makes more sense to move him back to midfield assuming the other attack options are as good as we expect (I expect them to be) and the midfield is as inexperienced as it looks on paper. Leo is not a middie, Birtwistle was seeing time on the 2nd midfield but is more comfortable at attack as we saw this past week. Thompson can play both so he could see time at middie.

You gotta have your best 6 offensive players on the field, does no good having someone in the top 6 sitting on the bench with the 2nd line mids. If that necessitates Dordevic playing (lining up) as a mid so the best 3 kids more suited for attack can be on the field then that's what has to happen.

Hiltz (attack), Dordevic (a/m) , Spallina (attack) are locks to start. I believe Leo (attack) could come in and start.

Corsi (5-11 175) could start at mid. Cordes (5-8 188) could start at mid; he dropped an easy pass on the crease Saturday in the 4th, just can't have that but he's not alone. Birtwistle (6-0 195) I'm guessing will be given every opportunity in the last two games to have a say on that 3rd attack spot.

There are a few freshman middies with tremendous size and we do need to get bigger. Do any of these guys step up?

Borges 6-1 200 (yorktown)
LeVine 6-2 217 (windham NH/ tomahawks)
White 6-2 190
Kelly 6-0 210
Lewis (redshirt) 6-4 219

Except for Corsi/Cordes, I haven't seen much of anything from anyone who played midfield and is returning that would make me think 'that' kid is a starter. Might be the most wide open position in memory.

I think we absolutely look to land an immediate impact transfer starter at midfield.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Dordevic could be listed technically as a midfielder and essentially play as the game dictates. Curry has done that a lot this year and essentially not left the field for most games. Dordevic has looked good at attack but he still prefers to dodge from up top, makes more sense to move him back to midfield assuming the other attack options are as good as we expect (I expect them to be) and the midfield is as inexperienced as it looks on paper. Leo is not a middie, Birtwistle was seeing time on the 2nd midfield but is more comfortable at attack as we saw this past week. Thompson can play both so he could see time at middie.
It is true that Dordevic still does most of his jukes from up top. With the attack and middie labels always meaning less, it feels like a silly thing to argue over. Will we be in a position next year where we have enough weapons where we can afford to not have Dordevic on the field for every offensive possession? That is what it comes down to. I agree that a solid transfer at mid next year will be essential.

well thought out

Birtwhistle will play somewhere. Borges r/s but think he was lead mid of 21 class for whatever that worth. Levine has good size and must have shown something to be on man up at times.

Isn't Kempner a 5 star talent? Trimboli, Curry and Dodrevic all started in frosh years so assume he could as well.

According to the pundits, its a very strong recruiting class on both sides of ball , a few could challenge or supplant upperclassman sooner than later . Most interesting position to unfold will be at goalie. Noticed Duffy traveled

As far as TD, believe he is content where is. likes being on field full time. He and bk shifted to help team in 22. TD is team player but may not be want to be shifted again in last yea as his role will already change. Gait needs to communicate

You gotta have your best 6 offensive players on the field, does no good having someone in the top 6 sitting on the bench with the 2nd line mids. If that necessitates Dordevic playing (lining up) as a mid so the best 3 kids more suited for attack can be on the field then that's what has to happen.

Hiltz (attack), Dordevic (a/m) , Spallina (attack) are locks to start. I believe Leo (attack) could come in and start.

Corsi (5-11 175) could start at mid. Cordes (5-8 188) could start at mid; he dropped an easy pass on the crease Saturday in the 4th, just can't have that but he's not alone. Birtwistle (6-0 195) I'm guessing will be given every opportunity in the last two games to have a say on that 3rd attack spot.

There are a couple of freshman middies with tremendous size and we need to get bigger. Do any of these guys step up?

White 6-2 190
Kelly 6-0 210
Lewis (redshirt) 6-4 219

Except for Corsi/Cordes, I haven't seen much of anything from anyone who played midfield and is returning that would make me think that 'kid' is a starter. Might be the most wide open position in memory.

I think we absolutely look to land an immediate impact transfer starter at midfield.
just a comment about Leo. I do not think he should be limited to any offensive role. He can play from x and from in front equally well. Loves to skip pass and can shoot like a howitzer. Very clever dodging from anywhere. He is also patient and very poised, looks mature beyond his experience. In demeanor he reminds me of Hiltz.

It is true that Dordevic still does most of his jukes from up top. With the attack and middie labels always meaning less, it feels like a silly thing to argue over. Will we be in a position next year where we have enough weapons where we can afford to not have Dordevic on the field for every offensive possession? That is what it comes down to. I agree that a solid transfer at mid next year will be essential.

Dordevic will definjitely be on the field at times but he has also looked worn down at times and I think getting a few runs off would do him good. I think he play as needed be it midfield or attack, a lot also depends on who is ready from day 1 and who is healthy. Attack goes from limited options to an abundance when you look at who comes in Spallina, Leo, Finlay and the return of Hiltz not to mention a hopefully healthy Birtwistle.

Middie has more questions marks but a transfer makes sense especially a grad guy as a bridge for guys like Rhoa and Kempney and Cordes/Corsi/Borges

The good news here is now Dordevic is a true “positionless player ” can be plug and play in game time Situations roaming up top and can clearly attack from the half wing or from behind - opens up a lot of options going forward with his experience this year at attack ..but agree he will primarily come through the midfield to anchor that group ..which I suspect he runs with some combo of seasoned transfer and Cordes, corsi or Birt and maybe Kempney depending on the chemistry

There are a couple of freshman middies with tremendous size and we need to get bigger. Do any of these guys step up?

White 6-2 190
Kelly 6-0 210
Lewis (redshirt) 6-4 219

Except for Corsi/Cordes, I haven't seen much of anything from anyone who played midfield and is returning that would make me think that 'kid' is a starter. Might be the most wide open position in memory.

Cordes has a big shot that I think will earn him serious consideration for a 1st line shot, he's the perfect compliment to Hiltz and Spallina drawing a slide. However, as a frosh he's been up and down which is to be expected. Needs to take another step forward. Corsi seesm caught in between, looks like he would benefit more from playing at attack, interested to see how he matures as a middie or if he decides to transfer to play attack somewhere (no inside info).

I know the staff was high on Borges but I believe he is red-shirting this season. Like you I don't have much to add on the other three. Levine was on the man up unit but looked like a deer in headlights and hasn't' seen the filed in any other capacity so your guess is as good as mine there. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes back to SSDM.

Rhoa seems like he could start from Day 1 with Kempney right there as well. Kempney might take some time though as the comp level is going to take a MASSIVE jump.

Birtwhistle will play somewhere. Borges r/s but think he was lead mid of 21 class for whatever that worth. Levine has good size and must have shown something to be on man up at times.

Isn't Kempner a 5 star talent? Trimboli, Curry and Dodrevic all started in frosh years so assume he could as well.

According to the pundits, its a very strong recruiting class on both sides of ball , a few could challenge or supplant upperclassman sooner than later . Most interesting position to unfold will be at goalie. Noticed Duffy traveled

As far as TD, believe he is content where is. likes being on field full time. He and bk shifted to help team in 22. TD is team player but may not be want to be shifted again in last yea as his role will already change. Gait needs to communicate

Kempney is a 5 star but there is some concern about the jump in competition level. I expect him to fully be in play there, he will benefit massively from playing with the anticipated attack unit as he doesn't have a ton of help on his current team. Rhoa has also played extremely well and played against the top of HS comp so it's hard not to see him making a play for time. Thompson has also played middie so he could be an option there but his finishing ability leads me to believe his future is at attack.

Won’t be shocked if tucker leaves. Don’t get hopes up

Dordevic said Wednesday he will return for his sixth and final season of eligibility in 2022-23, locking in SU’s leading scorer to a lineup that will return star attack Owen Hiltz, who hasn’t played this season because of injury, and add a stacked recruiting class headlined by the nation’s top recruit, Joey Spallina.

Dordevic has had his mind made up for a while, he said, and structured his coursework accordingly.

“I actually set it up; the program I’m in right now is a two-year program,” he said. “I’m getting my MBA right now, and I’ll finish up the first half of that at the end of this April, and then next year will be the final year of my eligibility as well as my program, so it all works out.”

Won’t be shocked if tucker leaves. Don’t get hopes up

I haven't heard anything about him leaving but it's certainly a possibility. Teams like Maryland, UVA , ND and Duke will certainly reach out behind the scenes. Still I would be fairly surprised if he left at this point considering he's enrolled in the MBA program here and essentially has free reign offensively.

Handle with care be my reco because players from FF contending teams will inquire as they did last year with another last offseason . Unlikely but take nothing for granted, Gait n staff has to maintain the same offseason contact with TD just as they apparently have done with prized recruits. Stars want to play and be seen on the big weekend, not likely to work out that way here for him. Know that and manage accordingly.

Good info JC on Kempner comp and likely adjustment. Was wondering why so quiet on that front. Had to impress on club circuit to get that star evaluation. Incoming uva mid iSunderland s talked up big by club contact.

I was at the Carthage/Homer game. It is truly hard to tell how good Kempeny is. It has to be some of the worst HS lacrosse I've seen. I have to imagine the athleticism and IQ bump compared to kids who play in Prep leagues will be a big obstacle to overcome. I'm rooting for the kid but I think in the end, that 5* evaluation is going to prove to be false. I'm getting Brad McKinney vibes.

I expect to see the ACC talent level in general increase next year. UNC, UVA, and Duke all have highly regarded recruiting classes coming in as well. While our influx of talent will help, I think we need to taper expectations as the conference as whole will improve to previous levels as well.

I was at the Carthage/Homer game. It is truly hard to tell how good Kempeny is. It has to be some of the worst HS lacrosse I've seen. I have to imagine the athleticism and IQ bump compared to kids who play in Prep leagues will be a big obstacle to overcome. I'm rooting for the kid but I think in the end, that 5* evaluation is going to prove to be false. I'm getting Brad McKinney vibes.

I expect to see the ACC talent level in general increase next year. UNC, UVA, and Duke all have highly regarded recruiting classes coming in as well. While our influx of talent will help, I think we need to taper expectations as the conference as whole will improve to previous levels as well.

I think there is definitely going to be a learning curve but I think comparing him to McKinney is a bit overboard. McKinney was never close to a 4 star less a 5 star guy and never had the impressive showcase and travel team performances like Kempney has had.

I think there is definitely going to be a learning curve but I think comparing him to McKinney is a bit overboard. McKinney was never close to a 4 star less a 5 star guy and never had the impressive showcase and travel team performances like Kempney has had
Agreed. Was going to say with Kempney I am sure the 5 star rating came exclusively from how he plays in summer league travel games and other events that the IL people attend. The talent level at those games tend to be pretty high so the fact that he stood out enough in those is a good sign. Only full game I have seen of him is the USA Canada u18 game. He played both O and D mid in that game and his athleticism stood out. Didn't dodge often but got a step with ease on his man when he did. Granted Canada usually is a little lacking with their field lax defense, but still nothing discouraged me after seeing him in that. Nothing against McKinney but Kempney is definitely waaay faster.

I think there is definitely going to be a learning curve but I think comparing him to McKinney is a bit overboard. McKinney was never close to a 4 star less a 5 star guy and never had the impressive showcase and travel team performances like Kempney has had.

Wasn't Brad a top 100 ranked recruit by IL? Not sure if they were doing stars back then but he most certainly would have been a 4*. I think he was somewhere in the 50-75 range.

Wasn't Brad a top 100 ranked recruit by IL? Not sure if they were doing stars back then but he most certainly would have been a 4*. I think he was somewhere in the 50-75 range.
I believe he was top 100. But in that era it is likely the rating was more due to his play in the high school season than the travel circuit, IL events, etc. Not 100% on that, but it seems likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom