Potential DCs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blake Harrel Kennesaw State.
Coached HS in NC
Coached Citadel
Harrel? Had a great D at the Citadel and took over for Dinos guy when he left for Navy. He checks lots of boxes.
Played at Western and coached HS in NC. Guys known as a good recruiter as well.

Would be surprised if most, if not all on that list wouldn't be interested. I don't think Barnett is even employed right now.
Shoop might be the exception, b/c even though he is currently a Safeties coach after being a DC since 2007, he just signed a 2 year deal w/ a heavy buyout clause. What a concept. A buyout clause. Apparently people do put those in contracts for assistant coaches.
I wonder if there's any chance Harbaugh would let him go for a promotion to DC.

why wouldn’t they be interested?

more money + p5 = step up for all listed

Could happen... give him a 2 year deal. $500k the first year [$950k actual cost], $800k the 2nd. Buyout clause of $800k.
Hint: don't announce it until a real contract has been signed containing a colossal buy-out clause.
Agree, with one proviso.

Could happen... give him a 2 year deal. $500k the first year [$950k actual cost], $800k the 2nd. Buyout clause of $800k.
Hint: don't announce it until a real contract has been signed.

that salary is too small, why would he take that little? he is getting $450K to be a positions coach, he isn't going to eat the buyout by taking a $50K raise, we would have to eat it. So we would have to eat the $450K and probably pay him $900K-1mil a year

What about the guy from Navy who was previously mentioned? Has he already secured a new job?

He just signed a contract extension with Navy

that salary is too small, why would he take that little? he is getting $450K to be a positions coach, he isn't going to eat the buyout by taking a $50K raise, we would have to eat it. So we would have to eat the $450K and probably pay him $900K-1mil a year
To be a DC and make significantly more 2nd year

Im waiting for the first person to legitimately suggest FHCSS.

I dare you.
I would never suggest something that ridiculous when there is a perfectly good ex head coach with a lot of DC experience available.

Image result for greg robinson coach syracuse

John Rudzinski of Air Force is a name to consider. Has done a lot with marginal talent. Aggressive, attacking defense. Has led a major turnaround in their defense since he took over as DC in 2018.

Here is how the Air Force defense did before and after he took over:
Year Rushing Defense/Total Defense
2017 117/66
2018 16/43
2019 7/17

He is an Air Force grad. I would guess it would not be easy to convince him to leave there. But a pie of money would probably do the trick.
655FCD5D-5236-408A-ABF3-A3CED43521E8.jpeg

Bob Shoop and Harlan Barnett are two big name guys who would be great, I would think we would be interested, not sure about them

after that, there are still good options: David Reeves at UAB, Clayton White at WKU(yes, he is good, don't listen to the morons who flipped out when his name first came up), Brian Borland from Buffalo, Marcus Freeman from Cincy. just to name a handful.

I like Brian Borland from Buffalo. His defense dominated at Wisconsin Whitewater D3. Now he has proven himself in the MAAC.

The homerun choice would be Charlie Strong. He runs the 335. He would be a huge name for recruiting. But would he come coach at Syracuse.

Would never happen but would love to see it. Assuming he had same energy and passion as he did the last time he was here, would be fascinating to witness.
plus Hullars closed

Reactions: CIL
It will be interesting to see where this goes for the DC. If JW is willing to pony up the larger dollars which we now have some confirmation on, that changes the talent pools we may be looking at potentially. I am willing to wager we will be pretty amped up again with the next selection. Looking forward to the next week.

I bet we have one in place by Wednesday at the latest

Interesting that Dino went down to the senior bowl for a day of practice and is now back in Syracuse and didn’t stay for the game. Bet he was interviewing someone that was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom