Potential DCs? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, someone just spit it out. Someone on this board has got to know if we hired someone yet.

Just answer yes or no. I don't need a name at this point. Has Syracuse hired its 2020 defensive coordinator? Yes or No?

I have it on good authority that the answer to your question is either yes or no. I hope that helps.

One thing I'll say about Dino. He does not rush in appointing new coaches. Arnett leaves-No quick, panic hire. Hopefully it pays off.

One thing I'll say about Dino. He does not rush in appointing new coaches. Arnett leaves-No quick, panic hire. Hopefully it pays off.
He ran through Rocky/Arnett/Norwood in pretty quick order. Might just have run out of names on his list.

He ran through Rocky/Arnett/Norwood in pretty quick order. Might just have run out of names on his list.
The dream of moving to the 3-3-5 might need to be pushed out a year or two. Hope whoever is hired uses a really aggressive, attacking approach, regardless of the scheme. A really conservative approach is unlikely to work for us in our current situation.

You'd think in 3 months, he developed a bigger list. All we know is Arnett and Newberry.

If he gets a 100 applicants do you want him to just throw out 90 and focus on the 10 guys he knows or would you prefer he looked under the hood a little?

I'd prefer a thorough vetted out search. If it takes a month it takes a month.

I'm not really sure Rocky was actually a candidate as he possibly was only recommending Arnett to Babers.

The whole Long-Arnett situation is really mysterious. Really unclear what happened there
What is clear to me (IMHO with no inside source) is Benedict Arnett played Cuse. It is totally transparent he used SU's offer and shopped it. When a guy gets a new job (paying life changing money for a 33 year old) and never showed up in Syracuse for the announcement it makes you go hmmm? The whole Rocky thing was fishy AF. I don't think Rocky was scheming but more likely he got played somewhat too by his protege.

I hope he fails miserably in the SEC.

I guess he wants to recharge his batteries for a year. Was owed $2.6m & $2.7m the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Okay, someone just spit it out. Someone on this board has got to know if we hired someone yet.

Just answer yes or no. I don't need a name at this point. Has Syracuse hired its 2020 defensive coordinator? Yes or No?
I
I think there is an agreement but no contract.

Charlie Strong is about to become an analyst for the Gators. If he was offered the DC or even talked with Babers and decided not to take it, would show how hard it is to get well established coaches to come.

Charlie Strong is about to become an analyst for the Gators. If he was offered the DC or even talked with Babers and decided not to take it, would show how hard it is to get well established coaches to come.
Or he’s looking to step back for a couple years while still making over 2.5m a year all things considered

Charlie Strong has been a HC for over decade if he wanted a DC gig he could pick his school.
The guy was never an option for us.
People we aren’t getting these type of coaches as coordinators.
He isn’t nuclear.

We gotta find a coach who has been a coordinator or position coach. Either w good tactical coach or good recruiter.

Reactions: FAL
Based on prior articles, it sounds like it gets kicked upstairs to the AD office to contract, once the interview process happens and Dino selects his guy. So Dino being on the road recruiting doesn't mean much I suspect.

My guess is the new DC is an existing DC somewhere. Using sutomcat's post of candidates, and only guessing, I think you can rule out a few off the bat.

Heacock - I can't see him leaving for a "lateral move" and the $$ wouldn't be enough
Strong - sounds like he wants to take his time
Rudzinski - I like him, but as an AF grad himself, find it hard to believe that he would leave his alma mater
Freeman - I think this would be a Home Run, but my guess is that he is going to wait for Fickell to take a Big job and be his DC or be in line to be Cincinnati HC... would love to be wrong
Powell - too inexperienced

Out of this list I would think it would be one of Borland, Carlin or Hetherman.

Assuming Newberry is out of play, which I think is correct, the best candidate would be Joe Heacock out of Iowa State. He has done a great job of using the 3-3-5 to make a bad defense a formidable one. He has ties to Matt Campbell that would be hard to break but if the goal is to implement an aggressive 3-3-5 with a proven coach, he is our best bet.

After him, Charlie Strong.

After him are the names of coaches named before.

John Rudzinski of Air Force, Corey Hetherman of James Madison, Brian Boland of UB, Marcus Freeman of Cincinnati, Clayton Carlin of Sam Houston State, Jeremiah Johnson of Northern Iowa and Mark Powell of Austin Peay.

These guys all coach conventional defenses but are known for being aggressive and innovative.

Carlin has coached at Villanova, UB, Cornell, Bucknell, etc. Sam Houston State gave up the fewest yards/play in all of the FCS division in 2019. They improved a lot after he took over. He has a good deal of experience coaching in the East and presumably might help us recruit there.

Johnson has made Northern Iowa one of the best defenses at the FCS level for years. He is a Kansas guy, Midwest to the core, but I am sure we could get him for some money.

Powell is another guy with ties to the Northeast. He attended Lafayette, and has coached at Yale and Villanova. He is really young (graduated college in 2014). Before taking over at Austin Peay, he was a GA at Mississippi State. Made a major impact at Austin Peay in his one season as their DC. Too young for me to pull the trigger but this kid is going to be a great coach down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom